PDA

View Full Version : Rut is in full gear

Timothyjohnson1983
11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Magic had happened over night. Didn't plan on spending all day in stand but the activity has not dampened all day. Living on Halloween candy all day.

BowGuy2
11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
In some places yes and some places no noble county showed no rutting at all but up home deer chasin all over the place

deerguy10
11-04-2012, 09:23 PM
had to work this morning and on my way to work up 71 and then 271 i saw 5 bucks either chasing does or just cruising across fields... and one of the 5 was dead on the highway...

my hunting buddy spent the entire day on stand at a property we hunt in medina county and rattled in pretty good 6 point and had a smaller buck (action was to crazy for him to count points) run does past the stand several times...

also on the same property my father passed on a decent 8 point last night (sat.)...

Anyway IT'S ON in northeastern ohio!

CityBoyzOutdoors
11-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Anyway IT'S ON in northeastern ohio!

I dont know about Summit Co. Saw some pushing going on friday night, then not a single peep in the woods Saturday and Sunday...

Bigcity
11-05-2012, 08:20 AM
I dont know about Summit Co. Saw some pushing going on friday night, then not a single peep in the woods Saturday and Sunday...

I hunt Medina/Summit County line and saw pretty much same thing. Not a single deer from the stand on Saturday or Sunday. Only deer I saw was after getting bored and climbing down from stand to walk farm searching for any fresh sign. Saw a decent buck walking behind a group of does, but he definitely was not chasing. I saw way more action last week where I saw 7 different bucks, two of which were hot on the tails of single does. I would hate to think the bucks are already "locked down"

BowGuy2
11-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Bucks are not already on lock down what so ever and I would not be walking around my hunting proporty this time of the year? Decently not the time to be scouting around what so ever I seen 22 deer Sunday in Wayne county 2 shooter bucks and the rest were does or bucks that were 115 to 125 1 was dogging the doe that I double lunged passedon 9 bucks yesterday 1 of the shooters never made it to me befor dark. And I only sat for 30 min in the morning bc I busted that doe and got into the stand at 3 in the afternoon but lock down no deff not

CityBoyzOutdoors
11-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I hunt Medina/Summit County line and saw pretty much same thing. Not a single deer from the stand on Saturday or Sunday. Only deer I saw was after getting bored and climbing down from stand to walk farm searching for any fresh sign. Saw a decent buck walking behind a group of does, but he definitely was not chasing. I saw way more action last week where I saw 7 different bucks, two of which were hot on the tails of single does. I would hate to think the bucks are already "locked down"

I also hunt the Medina/Summit line on the summit side, don't think they are locked down, just think it really hasnt kicked in yet, bucks might be ready while the does aren't.

saylor33
11-06-2012, 01:26 PM
i went out saturday evening and saw 2 does and one buck it looked to be a 6 point and he was taking the same path one of the does were so i would say its on in coshocton county.

BowGuy2
11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Just bc a buck takes the same path as a doe doesn't mean it's rut. Lol I have seen this happen all year does that mean rut has been in since September? Lol

saylor33
11-06-2012, 07:18 PM
well when he was taking the same path his nose was on the ground the whole time. just like he was chasing her. in my opinion the rut is in but then again i could be wrong

teej89
11-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I also hunt the Medina/Summit line on the summit side, don't think they are locked down, just think it really hasnt kicked in yet, bucks might be ready while the does aren't.

I'm on board with cityboyz, the bucks are definitely ready, but the does aren't. I've seen a bunch of new scrapes pop up and watched bucks make scrapes and rubs around my tree during the day. I think this weekend is going to get wild as long as those temps don't reach the 70s, that would not be okay.

CityBoyzOutdoors
11-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm on board with cityboyz, the bucks are definitely ready, but the does aren't. I've seen a bunch of new scrapes pop up and watched bucks make scrapes and rubs around my tree during the day. I think this weekend is going to get wild as long as those temps don't reach the 70s, that would not be okay.

I dont think the weather will put a damper on things, we have high pressure all weekend with the clear skies and mild temps, id say this weekend will start with the chasing and hopefully one doe at a time come into heat not all the same time!

Bigcity
11-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I dont think the weather will put a damper on things, we have high pressure all weekend with the clear skies and mild temps, id say this weekend will start with the chasing and hopefully one doe at a time come into heat not all the same time!

I saw it last night. From 3:45 pm all the way till dark I saw 6 bucks, all in wide open fields, making their way around the farm. Most were 2 to 3 year olds, but right at 5:00 I saw an absolute stud chasing a doe through the field. Hoped she would have brought him by, but I ran out of daylight. I watched a couple of 2 year olds spar for about 10 minutes which was really neat since I had never seen that in real life. It looks like it is going to be a great couple of days to be in the woods. Also saw 2 dogs and a coyote, but the deer didn't seem to really mind. At one point, I watched one buck look directly at the dog and he took a fighting posture almost if he was calling the dog out. The dog ran off and the buck continued to walk the field. Great night in the stand.

Lord ToneKing
11-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Summit County bucks chasing like crazy where I'm at

CityBoyzOutdoors
11-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Dang! too bad im 200 miles away at school right now, think it will still be happening this weekend in Summit??

Rip
11-07-2012, 10:21 AM
well when he was taking the same path his nose was on the ground the whole time. just like he was chasing her. in my opinion the rut is in but then again i could be wrong

I hunted the last 4 days in a row and this is the least amount of action I have seen for this time of year. Hunting athens county and did not see any kinda of rut activity at all. Last night at dark saw a mature buck being pretty aggresive on making scrapes and rubbing tress. The does seem to be seperating a little and the little bucks are cruizing.
I hope that things are just getting started.

Bigcity
11-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Dang! too bad im 200 miles away at school right now, think it will still be happening this weekend in Summit??

If yesterday was any indication you better hightail it home cuz what I saw and according to Lord ToneKing, it is on in Summit County area.

CityBoyzOutdoors
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
If yesterday was any indication you better hightail it home cuz what I saw and according to Lord ToneKing, it is on in Summit County area.

Oh dangggit.. got a test tomorrow. Ill be in the stand Friday-Monday.. lets hope its still going on!!

Bigcity
11-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Oh dangggit.. got a test tomorrow. Ill be in the stand Friday-Monday.. lets hope its still going on!!

Don't let that buck fever interfer with your schooling young blood. I think everything will still be hot this weekend. Good luck on your test, safe ride home and in the stand

CityBoyzOutdoors
11-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Don't let that buck fever interfer with your schooling young blood. I think everything will still be hot this weekend. Good luck on your test, safe ride home and in the stand

Thanks homie, I'll keep you updated!

BowGuy2
11-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Good luck on the test and better luck in te woods haha

Lord ToneKing
11-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Dang! too bad im 200 miles away at school right now, think it will still be happening this weekend in Summit??Ive only seen two shooter bucks so far though. Last night (weds) unbelievably I didnt even see a deer

This whole week has been pretty nonstop action though

PlayTheWindMike
11-08-2012, 09:35 AM
I hunted the last 4 days in a row and this is the least amount of action I have seen for this time of year. Hunting athens county and did not see any kinda of rut activity at all. Last night at dark saw a mature buck being pretty aggresive on making scrapes and rubbing tress. The does seem to be seperating a little and the little bucks are cruizing.
I hope that things are just getting started.

Im with you. I hunt the middle of Fairfield county and I am seeing the does separate too. Tuesday night I could barely get to my stand. I got to the field and started to work my way to my stand and saw a 140's 8 pt cruising down the edge of the field between 3 and 4. He cut into the valley and I sat down against a tree and waited. As I sat there a nice shooter for some, 6 pt (120ish), come out of the valley and walked right by me 10 foot away and never knew I was there. Then I went to my stand. Where I was sitting, Wildlife, a member here, watched the big 8 come out of the valley and go right where I was sitting and kept smelling the ground for a few minutes. Well when I sat down there I pulled out Code Blue deer estrous jell and had it on a limb. He was never spooked he just walked off. Yesterday I called in a small 6 and 10 minutes later I saw a big 10 150's get up, shook off and started licking limbs. I called he looked but never come. I am noticing the last few days that they are not responding to doe calls, but they are as of yesterday responding to buck grunting.

Rip
11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Did not get to hunt yesterday but when I was running around before dark yesterday I saw deer eveywhere. Even right close to town. I would say what ever trips the trigger happened around here yesterday evening. Ticks me off because I can't hunt till saturday!

Bigcity
11-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Ive only seen two shooter bucks so far though. Last night (weds) unbelievably I didnt even see a deer

This whole week has been pretty nonstop action though

I had lots of action in Summit County on Tuesday but not nearly as much last night only seeing two small bucks. It was crazy on Tuesday though. I'm hopeful this weekend the big boys will start to show themselves. Most of the bucks I've seen have been 1 to 2 1/2 year olds. Saw a stud Tuesday evening but ran out of daylight. I'm staying out of the stand tonight but hitting hard tomorrow through Tuesday.

Nis
11-08-2012, 11:27 AM
I haven't been seeing crap in the evenings, small bucks in the mornings. My dad said he had two decent bucks come down a path not far from him about an hour apart and they both fed around in the cut corn for a while. I'm in stark county and its not happening here yet.

southeasternohiobowhunter
11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
if you are around Athens county it is on!!!!!! hunted yesterday evening, but went to a new spot, and it took me forever to find a decent tree to climb. once i got settled in there was only 45 min. of shooting light left. as soon as i settled in i started grunting, and using the doe bleat here and there. wasn't 5 minutes, and here comes a small 6 pt. he smelled around 15 yards from me, then he faded away over the hillside. at this time there's only maybe 15-20 min. minutes of shooting light left. i started grunting again, and 10 minutes later i hear crashing coming straight at me from 100 yards away! i knew right away it was a buck. the sounds get to within 40 yds. of me to my left, but i cant even see that far at this point. i flipped my headlight on, and what i seen with my own two eyes i'll probably never see again in my life! 2 boone & crockett 200 inchers 10 yards from eachother! i couldn't pick the deer up through my scope, and i've never been so frustrated in my life! nothing i could do. well the reason they ran down to the left of me was because the wind was blowing that way, and they were wind checking the situation. eventually the buck in the front either smelled, or heard me and crashed outta there with the other monster right behind him. im still gonna try hunting these monsters, but history tells me i'll probably never see them again ): well anyway on the way to work this morning (nelsonville, oh to parkersburg, wv) we seen does being chased by bucks in almost every field we passed! even seen a buck on a doe right on the strip along the highway! the doe was staring across the highway thinking about attempting a suicide mission to get away from the buck lol. by the time we arrived home we seen roughly 40 deer, and every single 1 of them were running! So yea in this area it's on baby!!!! (:

Woodsman
11-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I watched a doe and a small buck eat for 45 minutes last night. He didn't even sniff her butt or anything. Either they aren't in the rut here or my deer are gay.

Toke2
11-08-2012, 06:42 PM
That is the best post I have ever seen on here.

I watched a doe and a small buck eat for 45 minutes last night. He didn't even sniff her butt or anything. Either they aren't in the rut here or my deer are gay.

Bigcity
11-09-2012, 09:14 AM

That's funny dude!, hehehe

Rip
11-09-2012, 10:36 AM

That is funny!

whodey1966
11-09-2012, 04:34 PM
She could have already been bred.

BowGuy2
11-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Does breed more than once during this time of the year

whodey1966
11-10-2012, 06:28 AM
When they come in their estrous cycle if they are then bred successfully, they won't come into heat again.If they are not then around 28 days later they will come into heat again. That is what I was referring too when i said she could have already been bred.

CityBoyzOutdoors
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
SLOWWWWWWWW is an understatement here in Summit where I am hunting... wow

BowGuy2
11-10-2012, 08:45 PM
It is possible for a doe to have twins by 2 different bucks...

Bigcity
11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
SLOWWWWWWWW is an understatement here in Summit where I am hunting... wow

It was real busy this morning in the area of Summit Cty that I hunt in. I saw six bucks total (from daylight to 12:00 when I had to come out the woods cuz wifey wanted to put new wall-paper up, not happy about that shyt) all right on the tails of a doe. One ol'girl had three 125" 8ptrs hot on her tail. Also saw 4 coyotes, 2 of which looked damn near as big as a German Shepperd. Its been a good year for bucks but so far I've only seen two real decent bucks and the biggest was bedded down in the absolute last place I would have ever expected him to be and I bumped him yesterday walking to the stand. He's 150" or better and was bedded on a 4-wheeler trail not 20 yards behind a barn and horse pasture behind a stack of firewood. I also saw something I hadn't seen in the last two weeks, several groups of does together and right at dusk last night watched 9 does enter and feed in a greenfield and none looked like they were ready to be bred. I'm hoping that bodes well for extended rut activity since they're not all entering esterous at the same time. It's full blown mayhem where I'm at :302:

CityBoyzOutdoors
11-10-2012, 11:28 PM
It was real busy this morning in the area of Summit Cty that I hunt in. I saw six bucks total (from daylight to 12:00 when I had to come out the woods cuz wifey wanted to put new wall-paper up, not happy about that shyt) all right on the tails of a doe. One ol'girl had three 125" 8ptrs hot on her tail. Also saw 4 coyotes, 2 of which looked damn near as big as a German Shepperd. Its been a good year for bucks but so far I've only seen two real decent bucks and the biggest was bedded down in the absolute last place I would have ever expected him to be and I bumped him yesterday walking to the stand. He's 150" or better and was bedded on a 4-wheeler trail not 20 yards behind a barn and horse pasture behind a stack of firewood. I also saw something I hadn't seen in the last two weeks, several groups of does together and right at dusk last night watched 9 does enter and feed in a greenfield and none looked like they were ready to be bred. I'm hoping that bodes well for extended rut activity since they're not all entering esterous at the same time. It's full blown mayhem where I'm at :302:

Geez!!! The corn is still standing near where i hunt and I have sat a rolling hill stand where I can see a lot of timber with a bedding area in front of it, then a pinch point between a crp field and a cut bean field.. no action whatsoever.. dont know whats going on with my property..

bds9
11-11-2012, 06:07 AM
It is possible for a doe to have twins by 2 different bucks...
Yes bowguy 2. its actually more common for a doe to be bred by two different bucks than to have actual "twins" by the same buck. And just cuz they're bred doesn't mean they go out of estrous. The cycle is the same length regardless if she gets drilled once or 100 times. But if she did get bred then obviously she won't come back in for the 2nd rd.

radicalxl
11-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Yes bowguy 2. its actually more common for a doe to be bred by two different bucks than to have actual "twins" by the same buck. And just cuz they're bred doesn't mean they go out of estrous. The cycle is the same length regardless if she gets drilled once or 100 times. But if she did get bred then obviously she won't come back in for the 2nd rd.

Agree with you 100%. It is more common than most people think.

Lord ToneKing
11-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Been ouy everyday/night since Nov 2nd and havent had action since the 5th and 6th. Been very slow....not even seeing many does

radicalxl
11-13-2012, 05:45 PM
My observations, Tues morning and evening. 3 little bucks hanging around on the fringe of doe herds (8-10) that were feeding. My opinion, trying to find a few does that haven't been bred yet. Looked like none were interested like they were in the last week or so.

Cheif
11-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Right before dark last night I had four does literally run into the area. I figured something was right on their trail so i sat up a little turned for my bow and my flashlight fell out of pocket hit the stand and then hit the ground. Needless to say they all took off. Ultimate Rookie Mistake. I was so mad at myself, but was i in the right line of thinking that something was hot on their trail. Because they literally ran in.

BowGuy2
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Lol that's what I was saying