PDA

View Full Version : Best Trail Camera

BigBucks14
11-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I have used some pretty cheap trail cameras and am tired of getting poor pics and malfunctions. So I would like to hear what you guys have to say about the Cuddeback, Spypoint, Plot Watcher and etc.

hortontoter
11-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Never had any of those you mentioned. I picked up a Bushnell at Walmart about a month ago for $99. Its only been out about a month but has worked flawlessly. This photo was taken with it.

mrbb
11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
well if your looking for the best camera, there are better than the one's you listed, like reconnix, and buckeye cam , but the price tags reflects that
of the one's you mentioned I have been using cuddleback/non typical cameras since about 1999, maybe sooner to be honest
and I have used a ton of moltrie, wildgame, tasco, and some others, and the cuddlebacks win hands down on number of Quality pictures and seldom if ever any blank pictures
I run my cam's all yr non stop too
I cannot tell you I haven't had any problems with mine sadly, but I have had problems with every companys camera's to be honest, they all seem to get a few days or weeks they go crazy for???? reasons
but still for my money if I wasn't looking to buy a cheap camera , the cuddleback wins hands down
at my hunting camp, we have 4 cusslebacks 2 flash 2 Ir's, and we have 4 bushnells, and a few cheap cam's
and there too, the cuddlebacks take more and better pictures, to the point everyone there said they will not buy any other brand from now on

buying a cam, you have to really ask I think what you plan to do with it
over bait a feeder or likes almost all cam's work OK

but on a trail, I am sorry, any cam that doesn't have a sub second wake up time, just misses a lot of things on trails and likes
I have put my cuddlebacks on same tree as other cam's and got ALWAYS more pictures, pictures of critters the other cam's just missed
and the whole point to me of having a cam out is to capture what walks past it, missing even 10-20 % of that is bad to me
I wish the cuddleback folks would come out with a solar pannel that would be a great option they all should have and again I have said this, Cuddleback is the only camera company that has a bear box that really locks your camera up from walking away , there the only one's to protect the lock and not just the cam, preventing any idiot with bolt cutters from having your cam and the bear box on you
so fast trigger time, 90% reliable and able to honestly lock it up , so its there when I want to check it

I have vote for cuddleback's for the best bang for the buck

longdraw
11-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Buckeyecam,,I love mine

ghunter
11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I used to think the same thing MRBB but after someone walked away with my attack IR and bear box I'm not to sure about anything anymore.Yes it will prevent a lot more then nothing at all but if someone is persistent enough they can do anything

What ever you get take a cheap cam and make it into a surveillance cam. I took a camera and a 3/8" steel case my brother made 9393 and used 6 lag bolts and attached it to a old oak tree. Same one I had my attack in. And took another camera and strapped it 15 feet in the air pointed at the lock box. Lets just say if I find out who took my attack there will be some backwoods justice handed out.

YouthHunter
11-02-2012, 04:56 PM
"well if your looking for the best camera, there are better than the one's you listed, like reconnix, and buckeye cam , but the price tags reflects that"

I agree with you there, I've had a lot of luck with Covert MP6. It's only 135$ on eBay and has a lot of great settings and takes some really nice pictures.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo38/francishunting/Trail%20Camera%20Pics/Backyard/New8.jpg
This was the last of the burst, so it caught him before.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo38/francishunting/Trail%20Camera%20Pics/Backyard/forky1.jpg
It has 3 different sensitivity settings.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo38/francishunting/Trail%20Camera%20Pics/Backyard/fallingleaf.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo38/francishunting/cardinal3_zps87972cdf.jpg
Good on battery's takes AA.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo38/francishunting/behindviewstick.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo38/francishunting/IMAG0289.jpg

mrbb
11-02-2012, 08:17 PM
I used to think the same thing MRBB but after someone walked away with my attack IR and bear box I'm not to sure about anything anymore.Yes it will prevent a lot more then nothing at all but if someone is persistent enough they can do anything

What ever you get take a cheap cam and make it into a surveillance cam. I took a camera and a 3/8" steel case my brother made 9393 and used 6 lag bolts and attached it to a old oak tree. Same one I had my attack in. And took another camera and strapped it 15 feet in the air pointed at the lock box. Lets just say if I find out who took my attack there will be some backwoods justice handed out.

just wondering how did they get the cam out of the box??
my lock is totally protected from bolt cutters, only way its coimng off the tree is if the beat the crap out of it and that will take some doing and well, they ain't using the cam either then
or they have to cut the tre down about it, and I only screw mine to BIG trees anymore cause I had that happen before, there going to work for it
I use these types of lock, see below link,
couldn't find exact model, but once in the cuddle bear box, there just is no way to get bolt cutters on it
I thought about welding thicker metel to beef the box up too, but haven't had one of these walk away yet

http://www.masterlock.com/products/subcategory/ShroudedPadlocks_2-51659mmWideBody

ghunter
11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
They cut the lock off somehow and took everything. The tree in the pic is not the same one I'm talking about. I will take a picture of it tomorrow.

mrbb
11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
well that sucks, and I guess where there is a will there is a way, I hate thieves, as much as I hope i some day catch them,
I almost hope not , as I might end up in jail!
I wish these dam camera companys would add a GPS chip to them so you can track them down to where ever they get taken to
I mean every dam cell phone has one, and they give them dam things away!
even if you had to pay a fee to activate to recover, would well worth the price I think, and I think a ton of hunters would be willing to pay extra for that option, like I said even if just the company had the option to track it for you, would be a great option to have on a expensive item, we all know get taken so often!

ghunter
11-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I was just thinking the same thing last night. I would gladly pay a fee just to see the look on there face when you show up at there door with the law.

mrbb
11-02-2012, 11:45 PM
yea or follow then to a nice dark parking lot and give them a pep talk using sign language! LOl

PlayTheWindMike
11-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Im with mrbb, I would pay a small fee to activate gps any day of the week to find the prick who steals