PDA

View Full Version : BAD SHOULDERS - CROSSBOW TIME ? ?

rrennec2
10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Dislocated one of my shoulders and has not been right ever since. Was thinking about a crossbow and wanted to know everyones favorite choice.
Was looking at the Horton Ultra Lite. Anyone own one ? Also was thinking about a Parker Tornado.
Anyones thoughts would be nice to know.

Stonegod
10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
I started with a Horton summit 150 and it was a very nice starter xbow. I then moved up to a Horton 225 (recurve) and I loved that bow, sadly it was stolen. I now shoot a Stryker stryezone 380 and I really like this xbow, it's light, compact, fast and extremely accurate. Your best bet is just to go to a archery shop and shoot as many as you can, what one guy likes another may not.

ManOfTheFall
01-05-2013, 05:12 AM
My most recent was a 175# Horton Legend. I loved it. Unfortunately it was stolen as well.

Big_Holla
01-05-2013, 09:52 AM
We have an older Ten Point Titan crossbow that we use and it sure is an equalizer for the kids. It's heavy as hell though, even for me to lug around, and that should be something to consider when looking at one for yourself. We pretty much have to use a rest wherever we go as it is that heavy. Also, you may want to consider a crank style cocking device. With your shoulders the way they are using a manual cocking device may still be hard to use.

mrbb
01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
well I have a shot a bunch and agree your best best is to go shoot some and see what you like
I have a horton 175 HD now, and its OK,
but after using and carrying it for a few seasons now
I came to the conclusion that the reverse draw X bows are what I prefer, just because of the balance they have, there weight is more centeralized BIG time and there quietier to my ears too
they are not the fastest out there, and they require a special cocking tool
but when I buy my next one it will be one of them for sure
and now there are 3 different companys making them, and expect more to follow now after the main panent is up, so others can
Horton had the rights to it for a few yrs
But go shoot some
and think about yoyur hunting style
if you only shoot out of blinds , weight and size isn't as much of a big deal
smaller lighter one's seem to be better suited for those that like to hunt from treestands and or walk far
ever ounce adds up on a long walk in/out!
good luck

rednecklb69
01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
The barnett buck commander crossbow looks slick and is super fast i think

Stonegod
01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
The barnett buck commander crossbow looks slick and is super fast i think

My brother got a buck commander this fall as a b-day gift, it is a very nice xbow!! Reminds me alot of my stryezone 380 and it's almost as fast. The only drawback with the buck commander.... is it's weight....9.5lbs compared to my stryezone 380 6.9lbs.

PlayTheWindMike
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
well I have a shot a bunch and agree your best best is to go shoot some and see what you like
I have a horton 175 HD now, and its OK,
but after using and carrying it for a few seasons now
I came to the conclusion that the reverse draw X bows are what I prefer, just because of the balance they have, there weight is more centeralized BIG time and there quietier to my ears too
they are not the fastest out there, and they require a special cocking tool
but when I buy my next one it will be one of them for sure
and now there are 3 different companys making them, and expect more to follow now after the main panent is up, so others can
Horton had the rights to it for a few yrs
But go shoot some
and think about yoyur hunting style
if you only shoot out of blinds , weight and size isn't as much of a big deal
smaller lighter one's seem to be better suited for those that like to hunt from treestands and or walk far
ever ounce adds up on a long walk in/out!
good luck

I have the Horton Team Realtree 175 Ultra Lite. I love it BUT, it is not that quiet to the ears. Everything else about it I really like. I have to agree totally with mrbb here. Funny, I already had his suggestion as a to do list for next season. I am going to look at the rev ultra lites if they have them and I am gonna probably go that route but I do want to shoot one before making the decision. If I do this I will put my HTR ultra lite for sale or trade for fun stuff here on the site. It is a pleasure carrying the HH cause it is sooo lite.

Fowks
09-23-2014, 07:01 PM
I ran into this same problem recently. Due to an old Shoulder injury from the army days, I can no longer hold back a compound bow. So earlyier this year i went to Dicks sporting goods and the local field and stream store to look at crossbows. i recommend doing this so you can see in person how your shoulder will hold up to the wait of aiming it. When i was done looking at several xbows. I desided on the wicked ridge Warrior HL. Which so far i am loving. Next Saturday it will get it first day in the woods and hopefully bring home a nice deer.