PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf, Made in China?

bds9
10-29-2012, 01:45 PM
The past few weeks I have been wanting to buy a new lightweight set up (Hang on stand and climbing sticks) but didn't really want to spend the extra money just before christmas and my daughters birthday(Nov. 30th) so last week I decided that if I could sell some of my toys I no longer use for what they are worth then I would reward myself with a new setup. Well sure as the world everything I had is exactly what everyone else wanted and I soon had $500 dollars in my pocket. I started looking at every option out there and ran across what seems to be a good deal on the 4 pack of Lone Wolf Climbing sticks and a Lone Wolf Assault II Treestand. I called the guy that has them and he is telling me that these are Real life Lone Wolf brand but were made in China on a contract with XOP(the makers of Muddy, Gorrilla and Big Game Stands). They are seriously discounted compared to the Made in USA Lone Wolfs and look exactly the same all the way down to the packaging(except it says Made in China). What does everyone think? Should I pull the trigger and buy one or spend the extra money to get an American made? I almost always buy american when I can, but this price difference is considerable for what appears to be the exact same thing.

mrbb
10-29-2012, 02:59 PM
well I would buy american
there HAS to be a reason there lesser prices, different in metals /materials, or something
if all that seperates fro from a fall is materials, I want the better for peace of mind
any time something cost less has to be a reason
but your money your life your call

bds9
10-29-2012, 03:09 PM
I agree with you mrbb, but my thinking was that if they indeed are the makers of Muddy, big game and gorilla(all respectable names) then safety wasn't my biggest issue. Not saying I'm not thinking about it but I've yet to hear anything wrong with these other three brands due to safety. The specs on the china vs. USA are identical according to the box. I am leary, but think I may pull the trigger and find out the hard way.

rednecklb69
10-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Email lone wolf and ask if they had products made there

gonehunting 45
10-29-2012, 06:27 PM
There is a thread on AT about this. Lonewolf released a statement concerning this. Something to the effectthey will not be held lliable for these products.
From those that purchased these stands there was no difference.

mrbb
10-29-2012, 06:47 PM
well all I say is peace of mind is worth the extra bucks to me, and yes I know these stands are high priced to begin with
I will not bash other compoanys on where and how they get there stands made, but to me, there has to be a material difference and why many of the brands stands you mentioned are a LOT cheaper , than a lone wolf stand
there are to me many many things that can mean cheaper quality that just what meets the human eye, looks alone mean nothing , in metal quality and same as what the straps can be made of
not all metal and materials are the same, just on over all calling it metal and what not, different grades to it all, and that is where i see cheaper being used to make cheaper prices
is it needed??
well at 20-30 ft off the ground is not where I want to find out
just saying many times the cost difference has to be some where, the fact lone wolf doesn't stand behind them(if thats true and I would think it is) is thety do not know what all was used or how , in the making
again not telling you what to do, just something to think about

fatboy
10-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I use Muddy sticks that are made in the USA. Don't know if all of these are knock offs, but I wouldn't trust them either. I say buy the best you can afford and keep it forever. Over the years, you'll forget about the price difference, especially when you don't have to buy another set in a few years.

rthensley
10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
These stands MIGHT be much cheaper because the cost of labor is much cheaper in China. The materials used COULD be identical.

forestman
10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I wish you where closer to Coshocton.I`ll be out their second week of November and I have a Alpha hangon and 4 climbing sticks that I would sell you real cheap.Since I lost my private land to hunt it just hangs in the shed mostly.

bds9
10-30-2012, 09:17 AM
forestman, pm me if you are interested in selling. I aint scared to drive. I already ordered the setup and I was assured if I wasn't happy with them he would take them back no questions asked. SO I guess I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the input, and I hope I'm happy with it and don't die using it! I emailed Lone Wolf and have yet to get a reply. gonehunting45 can you post the link where it says they will not be held responsible for these stands? I'm having trouble finding it.

Curran
10-30-2012, 09:33 AM
bds9 - Here is the LW statement that was released, got this in an email directly from LW.

FWIW - I hunt with LW sticks & stand. Love them, there's not hardly a tree I can't set up in. I hardly use my climber anymore.

Rejected Lone Wolf Product
Edwards, IL– Lone Wolf Treestands has recently been made aware that rejected Lone Wolf product originally produced overseas sometime in 2010 is currently being made available for sale by XOP, Inc. of Dubuque, IA. All goods being sold by XOP as Lone Wolf product failed to meet Lone Wolf Treestands’s standards and were rejected by Lone Wolf Treestands. Therefore, these rejected products are in no way warrantied or supported by Lone Wolf Treestands. Lone Wolf Treestands will not be held liable for any damages incurred by those choosing to purchase or use the rejected product being sold by XOP, Inc. as Lone Wolf product.
The products in question can be identified by their gray stand straps and black stand tubing. The products are being sold unboxed and without fall-arrest systems. The tree stand products do NOT meet TMA standards for sale.
Product models within the rejected inventory being sold by XOP may include: Alpha Hang On Stand (LW-AHO), Assault Hang On Stand (LW-ASHO), Elite Hang On Stand (LW-EHO), Mini-Climbing Stick 1-pc (LW-MCS1), Mini-Climbing Sticks 3-pcs (LW-MCS3), Climbing Sticks 1-pc (LW-CS1), Climbing Sticks 3-pcs (LW-CS3), Climbing Sticks 4-pcs (LW-CS4).
All warrantied Lone Wolf products are sold complete with Fall-Arrest Systems, instructions and include brown straps and brown stand tubing. Each warrantied Lone Wolf stand is sold in its model-specific box, clearly marked by UPC code and identified as being Made in the USA.
About Lone Wolf Treestands: Based in Edwards, IL Lone Wolf Treestands have long been the benchmark by which all other treestands are judged. Known for their innovative cast aluminum platform design providing superior strength, silence, and lightweight portability. For more information on the full line of Lone Wolf products, please visit www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com

P.O. Box 62 Edwards, IL 61528 | P: 309-691-WOLF(9653) | F: 309-693-9410

bds9
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Hmmmm.... that sounds like a pretty official don't buy these stands from lone wolf! I wonder why they're rejected? Safety? Or is this an issue on an agreement gone wrong? I guess I'm going to find out! I'm gonna contact the seller and find out more specifics. Cuz if this is a safety issue then I'll be sending it back!

mrbb
10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
To me at this point, there are so many copy fakes out there, and quality has to be a part of it, not just labor, I wouldn't roll the dice, thats a pretty strong advisory from lone wolf, that a few bucks won't get you back if you fall, and then try to get a comapny over seas to stand up, no reason for them to not say quality is the same, and then what?? If its not, there miles away and out of the legal game
Even if they say all is well I still say its not up to same spec's quality

OHBooner
10-30-2012, 08:22 PM
I have several Lone Wolf stands and sticks. They are worth every penny. I still have a climber I haven't used in years. If it were me I'd pay for the real deal. I have literally no complaints after probably 9 years of use.

bds9
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
I have a lone wolf climber, and love it. I don't use it much but when I do it's what I want. That's what led me to want a new Lone Wolf setup. Last night after talking to the seller of the china lone wolf stands I decided to call up lone wolf and hear right from their mouth. Someone answered on the first ring which surprised me! It was a woman and after explaining my situation I asked her flat out "what's the deal with these china Lone Wolfs?" She responded with a stern, "stay away from them". I then asked her what happened and if they were unsafe or what and she said, "I'm gonna let you talk to the President of the company". Which I was surprised and happy about. The President answered, I think his name was Chris? but I don't remember. Anyhow, I asked him the same question about the china Lone Wolf stands. He responded with a don't buy them we have rejected them. I asked why and he told me to refer to the public press release. I asked him if they were unsafe or faulty and he kinda avoided the question. I asked how they were allowed to sell these stands with a lone wolf name on them if the Lone Wolf Company doesn't want them to be sold? He didn't really give me an answer just mentioned something about "theyre fighting it in court" SO, to summarize, my gut tells me this is Lone Wolf just not wanting these stands to be sold because theyre the exact same thing only cheaper, but, My mind is saying don't trust the china stands either. So I don't know what I'm going to do. I guess when I get the stand I will go over it with a fine toothed comb and see if there is anything I can see visually and further analyze it then. Thanks for the help guys, hope I'm not making anyone mad that's not my intention. When I get the stand and sticks I will post pics and give and honest opinion.

DrenalinHntr1
10-31-2012, 03:13 PM
I registered for this site specifically due to this thread. I just opened the door to get the Lone Wolf sticks I ordered from the porch. I have been waiting a week for them to show up. As soon as I brought the box in the house I noticed "Made in China"? And every UPC bar code has an "X" through it done by hand with a black marker. The box is logo'd "Lone Wolf" and looks legit except for what I just mentioned. First thing I did was google search and got here. I'm not sure what to do? I haven't even opened the box to see what's inside. I guess I'm contemplating sending them back? What do you think?

bds9
11-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I just got mine last night, opened them up quickly and looked over them (I had a skunk and a flower I had to take trick or treating) and I couldn't see anything any different than the american made other than the color of the main beam. I will further inspect them tonight and post pics, but at first glance they look good to go.

rednecklb69
11-01-2012, 09:37 AM
What was the price difference? And where did you buy from?

DrenalinHntr1
11-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I just got mine last night, opened them up quickly and looked over them (I had a skunk and a flower I had to take trick or treating) and I couldn't see anything any different than the american made other than the color of the main beam. I will further inspect them tonight and post pics, but at first glance they look good to go.

Funny we both got them on the same day. Wonder if we got them from the same place? I still haven't opened the box mine came in. Had a zombie cheerleader for the trick or treating last night. Looking forward to your next post/review.

mrbb
11-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Well all I can tell you guys is this, to the human eye you cannot tell quality of metals used, metals come in grades, and then grades determine how much weight and stress they can hold, and its that fact that wouldn't allow me piece of mind using, if something terrible should happen, god forbid, you are screwed in fact company disclaimer and them being in china
Up a tree is not where I want to find out if quality is or is not right
Sorry, but a deal isn't always in the price tag, but your call
Metals and even straps all break down in time too, so short lived savings?? Comes to mind with me
Best of luck

bds9
11-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I bought a Lone Wolf Assault II for $125 MSRP 239.99 and a four pack of Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks for $130 MSRP is 179.99. BUT remember, no warranty. And Drenalinhntr1, I bought mine from Elite outdoors.

bds9
11-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Well all I can tell you guys is this, to the human eye you cannot tell quality of metals used, metals come in grades, and then grades determine how much weight and stress they can hold, and its that fact that wouldn't allow me piece of mind using, if something terrible should happen, god forbid, you are screwed in fact company disclaimer and them being in china
Up a tree is not where I want to find out if quality is or is not right
Sorry, but a deal isn't always in the price tag, but your call
Metals and even straps all break down in time too, so short lived savings?? Comes to mind with me
Best of luck

I agree with you 100%, but, it's not like these people just started making treestands. If that was the case then I wouldn't even consider it. But they've been making other stands for years and I've not heard one bad thing about it. I think anytime you climb in a stand you should inspect it and the straps as well as buying a new one. I am going to run this stand through a couple tests tonight, and I'll post what I found. And the company headquarters is in Iowa from what I've read.

bds9
11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I registered for this site specifically due to this thread.
Oh, and welcome to the site!

DrenalinHntr1
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I bought a Lone Wolf Assault II for $125 MSRP 239.99 and a four pack of Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks for $130 MSRP is 179.99. BUT remember, no warranty. And Drenalinhntr1, I bought mine from Elite outdoors.

Same place mine came from. I paid $139 + shipping. Here are some pics of what I got.

I'm not disappointed. My biggest "nit pick" is that all 4 straps were not assembled uniformly in their orientation. (Strap, buckle, label turned different directions) And you can see in one of the pics the step is scratched up a little. But I am going to scratch them up anyway. Oh, and thanks for welcoming me! Glad to be here!

rednecklb69
11-01-2012, 08:21 PM
I googled elite outdoors but didnt see anything. Do you know the web address?

mrbb
11-01-2012, 10:05 PM
well I agree its a good savings for sure and these days who couldn't use the extra in there pockets
but I still say, crappy metal cannot be seen by the eyes alone, and it can change how strong it is as temps go up and down and such
I know counterfit products are out there in all forms, and 99% of them its lack of proper materials that seperates them, and not all just labor costs, but sure labor and what a BRAND name knows it can bring
but I still say again, if a failure happens your on your own, no help from the maker, and that would scare me
I would honestly bet that even if lone wolf had sun contracted them out to save the mighty buck, as we all know companys do!!
it has to be because they failed a safety test they did to stand so strongly on them, and again that would scare me
I bought my lone wolf due to how safe it was and the other features
again just my 2 cents
don't want to see anyone get hurt

bds9
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Well I didn't get a chance to upload pics last night but I did run the stand through a couple tests last night. After examining the stand and sticks and all straps closely, I cannot tell a difference. The color is the only difference I can tell. I understand your point MRBB but I'm no metalurgist so I cannot tell a difference in the grade of aluminum. The casting is perfect on the platform. Anyhow, I hung my stand at the base of a tree in my back yard, appox 18" off of the ground and jumped on. The stand never made a peep, shift or anything. mounted very solid to the tree. I also leaned to the extreme side to side and couldn't get any movement out of the stand. I put my back against the tree and pushed down on the platform with my legs and got little flex out of the platform(my gorilla stand which I like very well has a hair more flex). I never heard a pop or creak and the stand seems very solid. The only thing I did't really care for is the platform leveling nuts are hard to get tight. I don't think this is a huge issue, but this is something I've heard all Lone Wolf stand have problems with. I will be in the stand in the morning and I will let everyone know how that goes. As of right now, its the best hang on stand and sticks I've ever owned. btw, it packs together super nice which is a big reason I wanted to upgrade from my gorilla hx/rapid rails setup.

bds9
11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I googled elite outdoors but didnt see anything. Do you know the web address?

www.eliteoutdoorsunlimited.com, I talked to Clay. He said they were in the process of moving to a bigger store so if he doesn't answer your calls/messages immedietely to bear with him. Seems like a pretty nice guy.