PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Weather, Delayed Vacation

blackbeard
10-28-2012, 09:59 PM
I was supposed to start a 3 week vacation tomorrow but the weather just ain't gonna cooperate the first three days of this week. They are calling for 15-30 MPH winds and steady rain through Wednesday for Jackson County so I'm gonna work and hunt when I can until this thing passes Thursday. This sucks. Steady rain all weekend so I moved some stands instead of hunting. How is everyone else gonna deal with this weather this week, you going to get wet and cold or wait it out?

maygin
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I moved stands as well this weekend. Now I have one over a soybean field, a new one in a bottom surrounded by corn where I seen some rubs and buck droppings, and a blind overlooking a large grass patch inbetween a corn field and a thicket where I "think" they are bedding. I'm probably going to stay out of the woods until later in the week, let everything settle from the work I was doing and have my scent disappear with the wind and rain. Hopefully this rain clears out as soon as possible because I'm ready!!

heelbilly
10-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I braved the wind today and hunted this AM. I tagged my buck, but my dad is coming in on Friday. I plan to process meat in the evenings, wait the weather out and we'll hit it hard this weekend. Good luck to you guys.

so.OH_bowhunter2
10-28-2012, 11:10 PM
I seen some rubs and buck droppings, -----How can you tell the difference between doe or buck droppings?
As for original post, I hunted out of a blind this morning, trying to get my bearings straight on what and where to go. Came in around 10:30, back out at 2 to my stand. I was wanting to move my stand, so I hunted out of it this evening and relocated it I came down. The only deer that I seen were 2 small bucks that were bedded down close to where I was wanting to relocate the stand. I slipped by them within 60 yards, sometimes wind and rain are a blessing. Gonna hit it in the morning, then wont be back in until Friday.

maygin
10-28-2012, 11:39 PM
*Scrape. I was basically assuming since the pile was maybe a foot away from the scrape. Regardless, the fresh scrape tells me a buck is in the area and that makes me happy since I don't have trail cams set up. Good luck in the morning

southeasternohiobowhunter
10-29-2012, 12:08 AM
man this weather sucks! i was gonna go out in the a.m. until i seen it is suppose to rain all day tomorrow, with 25 mph winds! to me thats a little harsh to hunt in ohio. usually i'll go out if the winds are 15 mph or less. if it were shotgun season i'd probably attempt a spot and stalk tomorrow, but just gonna sit this 1 out and wait for some better weather. next weekend is gonna be sweet i think (if weather is decent). i hunted yesterday in the high winds, and had a couple mature doe right below my stand. everytime the wind blew hard the 2 doe would kind of freak out by jumping around/acting jittery. i'm sure the big mature, smart bucks aren't moving too much in the crappy weather...

BowGuy2
10-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Maygin u do no that just bc there is a scrape it doesn't mean a buck is the only one to make it or visit it. Does are always at scrapes as well and they freshin it up and do the same thing bucks do... Just bc there is a fresh scrape and droppings on the ground it could just as easily be a doe

BowGuy2
10-29-2012, 07:37 AM
And I am sitting this one out as mush as I would love to be in the stand every night this week I'm not going to be this wind and rain are to harsh. And I think this weekend stuff is going to bust lose

hortontoter
10-29-2012, 08:13 AM
As much as I'd like to be hunting, I too am holed up for a few days. To warm last week to rainy/windy this week. Gun season will be here before the weather gets good. What a shame.

gonehunting 45
10-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Yea this weather is putting a damper on things. Calling for wind and and rain till Wednesday night. Rain till Friday. This weekend and next week are looking good, but as we all know things can change.

maygin
10-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Maybe I'm mistaking a scrape for a rub. I apologize for my terminology, this is the first year after my dads passing so now I'm a little in the dark and trying to fill in the holes of what I didn't get a chance to familiarize with

So.OHsalesman
10-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I'll tell you how I'm dealing with it, I've been hunting thru it. I have seen quite a few bucks and does (mostly does though). I don't have a vacation period so I hunt when I can. I think you guys are right, from what I've seen in Jackson County, this weekend will be epic. I'm ready to get some blood on my hands and my hands on some antlers! Obviously I'm trying to stay as optimistic as possible because I live for this stuff! Goodluck guys!

whodey1966
10-29-2012, 04:50 PM
@ so.oh-bowhunter http://www.ehow.com/how_2097404_identify-deer-poop.html

YouthHunter
10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I prob won't be out during the week, with this sickness. I was out Sunday morning, got poured on!!! I was miserable, about 9am I was standing and not paying to much attention to the hunt, and I ended up spooking a doe behind me..

blackbeard
10-29-2012, 06:07 PM
As much as I'd like to be hunting, I too am holed up for a few days. To warm last week to rainy/windy this week. Gun season will be here before the weather gets good. What a shame.

Yeah, I didn't hunt nearly as much this year in early season because of having a 1 year old and 3 year old at home, was really looking forward to last two weeks of October and first 3 weeks of November before gun season, but basically 2 of those 5 weeks were a bust. But that still leaves 3 weeks to get out there and do a lot of hunting. Just never seen the weather not cooperate this much the last two weeks of October, hot then nasty.....kinda depressing.

no trespassing
10-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I didn't hunt nearly as much this year in early season because of having a 1 year old and 3 year old at home, was really looking forward to last two weeks of October and first 3 weeks of November before gun season, but basically 2 of those 5 weeks were a bust. But that still leaves 3 weeks to get out there and do a lot of hunting. Just never seen the weather not cooperate this much the last two weeks of October, hot then nasty.....kinda depressing.

I have a 4 week old baby girl at home so my time is VERY limited this year. I was planning on hunting this past weekend but the weather was horrible. I did hunt yesterday am in the rain and did see a doe and BB from a blind, but that was it. I spent the afternoon checking cams and filling feeders. If I'm going to get it done it's going to have to be either this upcoming Fri/Sat, the following Fri/Sat and that's about it until gun season. I have 4 days and hopefully the weather cooperates. I have some nice deer on cam, but I just don't have much time to hunt them this year. I don't get vacation so I must use my 3 personal days wisely. I usually tag them on to the weekend to maximize my time.

bludyarrows
10-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Im gonna sit out a few days and its gonna kill me. I hunted last week Thursday through Sunday in Delaware Co. and got rained on and about blew out of the tree ...seen seven doe and they were so spooked by the wind they wouldn't leave the thicket to offer a shot. They were on high alert the whole time I could see them and just bearly moved...took them 15 min to move 10 feet. The week before last I hunted in Harrison Co.again Wed through Sun and had the same trouble with the weather wind and rain and more wind. Im gonna catch up on things around the house this weekend and keep the Mrs. happy cause we all know if momma aint happy we all allowed to be happy. Gonna go back to Delawrwe Co.the first week in Nov. Wed night till Sunday to try it again. The thing I can't figure out is why The wife is always yellin at me to "get out of here" ..."go find something to do"...."leave me alone"...and when I do..... I come home for a day or two a week and she's mad about me being gone..HHHmmm...go figure...LOL.

Greybeard11
10-30-2012, 05:22 PM
I scheduled next week off. Looks like I made a good choice.

mrbb
10-30-2012, 06:40 PM
I have a feeder in my back yard I use to watch deer, doe been coming every nite about dark and then midnight or so, last nite was first time a good buck showed up, and it was in the middle of this dam storm, easy 60+ mph winds, didn't think a critter would be up and walking about in it??
But he in no way cared about that doe, he wanted food, fed for 20 minutes then left doe still here
This 5-6 days of rain were having, should make the action come alive when it stops I think, between buck opening up new scrapes ,
keeping open old ones, and does coming into action for them,
And then the temps being cold, should be a great weekend to be out all day I think

gonehunting 45
10-30-2012, 07:43 PM
I have a feeder in my back yard I use to watch deer, doe been coming every nite about dark and then midnight or so, last nite was first time a good buck showed up, and it was in the middle of this dam storm, easy 60+ mph winds, didn't think a critter would be up and walking about in it??
But he in no way cared about that doe, he wanted food, fed for 20 minutes then left doe still here
This 5-6 days of rain were having, should make the action come alive when it stops I think, between buck opening up new scrapes ,
keeping open old ones, and does coming into action for them,
And then the temps being cold, should be a great weekend to be out all day I think

Thinking the same thing. I think its going to get nuts.

blackbeard
10-31-2012, 06:36 AM
3" of snow in Oak Hill area yesterday with howling winds, light rain today can't stay in the house anymore. Good luck to everybody and good riddance to Sandy.