PDA

View Full Version : Always Be Aware, Not Complacent

strutndoe
10-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Hey Guys/Gals just wanted to fess up to my own stupidity and lessons learned. On Thursday, I was riding my 4 wheeler on a downhill slope. Was I going fast? I didn't think so. Was I paying attention? No, my brain was off in whitetail land. Was I observing (not just seeing) where I was going? Nope, not really.

With all of the things I should've been doing and wasn't, it's no wonder what happened next did not turn out worse. I hit an old deadfall that was covered in leaves. I hit it at just the right (or wrong, as the case may be) angle and my 4 wheeler and I ended up having a parting of ways.

I briefly flew through the air and made a very ungraceful landing. After picking myself up and thinking, "Whew, that was close but I'm ok", I got back on and headed to the house. Yep, the quad landed upright (more than I can say for myself).

I was shaken up but not hurt (so I thought). Even made plans to go out the following night to enjoy some music and friendship at Bokes Creek Winery (Really stinks that I had to miss that and miss meeting some of you guys!) However, later that evening I knew I would be going to get checked out because something just wasn't right. The pain was starting to set in.

So besides a bruised ego, I also managed to crack a rib and strain some muscles. Yes, it could've been much worse and thank God it wasn't. To all of you a few words of hindsight wisdom, don't get complacent in the things you do everyday. It's the bumps in your path you cannot see, that are waiting to trip you up (applies to quads and other things, as well).

Stay safe & hunt hard!

hortontoter
10-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Could have been much worse, glad you weren't hurt badly. My grandson did almost the exact same thing on his quad. He hit a piece of split firewood in his own backyard. He was going at a pretty fast when it happened. He was thrown from the quad, which was a good thing. The quad flipped end to end three or four times and had big time damage. He landed in his dads freshly tilled garden which softened his contact with the ground. He cracked three ribs and dislocated a shoulder.

You are so correct about not getting complacent. It will bite you when you least expect it.

mrbb
10-27-2012, 10:33 AM
well I am also glad it didn't end up being worse than just that
I have crashed many many a times(raced all sorts of off road vehicles for yrs, and not all crashes were my fault)
and seen a ton of injuries and sadly even a few deaths on off road vehicles
I personally think way too many folks take for granted safety on them, around here so few wear a helmet on them , just taking for granted that they think cause there experienced or not going REALLY fast there not needed for one!
I know I am guilty of this at times , mostly when plowing snow or working in a Hot field, but accidents are call that for a reason, you don't expect them!
but I am a firm believer in helmets and gloves and goggles as a starting point for trail riding or in iffy terrian and over all any time riding
from 30+ yrs riding, I can tell you for a fact 99% of the time its your hands that hit first, followed by your head next , as in most impacts your arms cannot support the impact forces and thus your head drives home to planet earth, with the face an easy target next, not to mention bugs and dirt dust what ever can impare your vision while driving
I have had my share of hard hits, yoo including not walking for several months, almost never
even once had a collision with a deer going 65 mph, I killed the deer a buck too, and almost me!, if I didn't have on the safety gea,r I did!
it would have been a much worse outcome for me, that I am sure of
and again, I say gloves helmet and eye protection are huge deal maker or breakers at times and should be worn by all on any ride, the longer the ride the more important , same as with speeds
to be honest
its not always speed that hurt or causes a crash
always good to be prepared and alert riding even slow!

Mike F
10-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Hey Guys/Gals just wanted to fess up to my own stupidity and lessons learned. On Thursday, I was riding my 4 wheeler on a downhill slope. Was I going fast? I didn't think so. Was I paying attention? No, my brain was off in whitetail land. Was I observing (not just seeing) where I was going? Nope, not really.

With all of the things I should've been doing and wasn't, it's no wonder what happened next did not turn out worse. I hit an old deadfall that was covered in leaves. I hit it at just the right (or wrong, as the case may be) angle and my 4 wheeler and I ended up having a parting of ways.

I briefly flew through the air and made a very ungraceful landing. After picking myself up and thinking, "Whew, that was close but I'm ok", I got back on and headed to the house. Yep, the quad landed upright (more than I can say for myself).

I was shaken up but not hurt (so I thought). Even made plans to go out the following night to enjoy some music and friendship at Bokes Creek Winery (Really stinks that I had to miss that and miss meeting some of you guys!) However, later that evening I knew I would be going to get checked out because something just wasn't right. The pain was starting to set in.

So besides a bruised ego, I also managed to crack a rib and strain some muscles. Yes, it could've been much worse and thank God it wasn't. To all of you a few words of hindsight wisdom, don't get complacent in the things you do everyday. It's the bumps in your path you cannot see, that are waiting to trip you up (applies to quads and other things, as well).

Stay safe & hunt hard!

Glad things weren't any worst, that your going to be ok.
On the other hand, you did miss some great grub, and having to put up with all the tall tales(lies) us hunters tell.
We'll do it again soon, I'll get ahold of ya. Looking forward to hearing the story fisrt hand, of your buck.