PDA

View Full Version : Which Doe Estrus Scent

ohiorut
10-26-2012, 08:45 AM
So what do you use?

I've always used Tinks 69 with decent success.

Going to try Code Blue.

Let us know what brand if other and where you buy it at. Thanks.

horsedrj
10-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Vs-1 great stuff, evercalm works great also

BowGuy2
10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
If I were going to use it I would use tinks 69

heelbilly
10-26-2012, 02:30 PM
I've used several, but Tink's has seemed to pique interest more than others in my experience.

diamondman
10-26-2012, 06:02 PM
got some franks deer urine gonna try it

MICH
10-26-2012, 08:31 PM
If I were going to use it I would use tinks 69
used it on a brag-rag 15+ years ago had a small buck came in nose on trail and never used D.E. again

Shooter42
10-26-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm gonna be trying out some #1 Select Estrus from Wildlife Research Center, never used it before but we'll see..... not looking good for tmw down here in Brown County, forecast has rain all day.....prolly get out Sunday though.

blackbeard
10-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Jackie's, Tink's, Wildlife Research Center, whatever, have gotten about the same sub-par results with them all, its all about having it out at the right time and having a curious buck come by, a rare occurrence in my experience.

radicalxl
10-27-2012, 07:22 AM
I have to go along with Blackbeard on this one.

longdraw
10-27-2012, 07:32 AM
None of them work on mature bucks!!!!!!

frmrfred
10-27-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm with you longdraw. I have tried to use them all and I have never had any luck getting the big bucks to pay attention. Always get the little guys to do what they're supposed to though.

Big_Holla
10-27-2012, 07:56 AM
It's to the point where I agree with Blackbeard, Longdraw and frmrfred. Tried it so many times over the years thinking it was the answer, the silver bullet so to speak, only to be disappointed more often than not. I have had some results here and there on several different kinds, but never a mature buck. To think last year my buddy and I dropped the scent idea completely and focused on travel routes and both killed our best bucks to date. About the only thing I may still use is Evercalm on or around a decoy or up in the tree to add a little 'extra deer' scent but as far as estrous, don't think I'm buying it anymore.

whodey1966
10-27-2012, 08:16 AM
IMO, Don't waste your money! I completely agree with Big Holla, focus on travel routes and the areas where you see does and you won't need to use scents!

strutndoe
10-27-2012, 09:37 AM
:iagree:
As said by others, I've only seen it work on young bucks never a mature one. That being said, if you don't care about the size of the antlers, by all means use an estrous scent. Killed my first buck, with his nose stuck in a Tinks 69 covered wick.

mrbb
10-27-2012, 10:51 AM
well I gave up on scents more or less yrs ago
too many times seen deer ignore it, or spook from it, and I have bought tons of different name brands and types
been saying that for several yrs I have even ben using them scent drippers filled with all types of scents over a camera just to see how it works or reactions I get with WHAT ever
and over a good 4+ yrs now, I have never had anything bring deer to it very much
in many many times I have had a camera set up getting tons of pictures, then added the scent via a dripper, and from there out got very few pictures, or pictures of mostly only does and always fewer bucks, with scent out than before with No scent
I agree at times when the moon and the stars all line up correctly, it can Work great
but for what it costs, and the iffy at best results
I wouldn't be wasting my Hopes on it!
I am running two cams right now on scent drippers, only to pass my time
I hunt more on food and trails and overall current deer sign, where there is the best freshest sign , is where I hunt anymore
No magic pills or scents in my bag of tricks anymore
just old fashion reading deer sign and hunting that!

gonehunting 45
10-27-2012, 11:52 AM
OK well I hate to be the bad apple here and sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, but here it goes.
I have had success with it, not all the time, but enough to think its worth the try, and yes with mature bucks.
When I first started using it I got the ignore or spook reaction from the deer. Mostly it was young bucks. Then one season I had 2 very nice bucks coming through and when they hit down wind of my scents they spooked as if they had been shot. This got me to thinking why would this happen. So the following season I started doing things differently.
I have black widow scent wicks. I took everything and soaked them in a bucket for a few days in baking soda. Even when I buy new wicks they get soaked before using. The one thing you have to make sure you rinse more than once to remove all the baking soda. Then I hang outside to dry. Then they are placed in zip lock bags. This is all done wearing rubber gloves. When I add the scent I wear rubber gloves and place back in the baggie. When I place them while hunting I wear rubber gloves.
I have seen better results doing this. I'm sure it still gets ignored but I haven't seen a deer spooked by it.
So yes I think its worth the try.
I have only tried 3 different doe scents and the only one that has never brought in a deer is code blue. Don't know why that is maybe there just wasn't any bucks in the area I was hunting.

mrbb
10-27-2012, 12:52 PM
OK well I hate to be the bad apple here and sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, but here it goes.
I have had success with it, not all the time, but enough to think its worth the try, and yes with mature bucks.
When I first started using it I got the ignore or spook reaction from the deer. Mostly it was young bucks. Then one season I had 2 very nice bucks coming through and when they hit down wind of my scents they spooked as if they had been shot. This got me to thinking why would this happen. So the following season I started doing things differently.
I have black widow scent wicks. I took everything and soaked them in a bucket for a few days in baking soda. Even when I buy new wicks they get soaked before using. The one thing you have to make sure you rinse more than once to remove all the baking soda. Then I hang outside to dry. Then they are placed in zip lock bags. This is all done wearing rubber gloves. When I add the scent I wear rubber gloves and place back in the baggie. When I place them while hunting I wear rubber gloves.
I have seen better results doing this. I'm sure it still gets ignored but I haven't seen a deer spooked by it.
So yes I think its worth the try.
I have only tried 3 different doe scents and the only one that has never brought in a deer is code blue. Don't know why that is maybe there just wasn't any bucks in the area I was hunting.

I ahve always assumed new items needed to be scent washed to not be spoking with where or how veer they were stored
so on my scent dripper what I have been doing it washing in baking soda, I too soak them, I then hang them out in future sets a few months in advance, this way I know they smell like wher ever there going, to eliminate the dripper being whats spooking deer and not what I put in them
I also wear rubber gloves when filling them/hanging them, as well as as scent free as i can be in the clothes I wear as well
and still 4 yrs of cameras on them, my results again have been more either keeping deer away after I add scents, or mostly just doe interested in it at all

now things I take into account,
1 I know I have a ton of younger class deer with very few older aged bucks
2 , it is very possible that I have bucks just scent checking these drippers off camera, say down wind
but on this I wonder about cause many times i have lots of doe about them, and would think , all the more so when I have filled them with so called doe in heat scents, that a buck would be coming it to smell the does there at the time since the smell of one good to go should be there based on what the bottle says in in it

But I agree again, being scent free when using has to be part of it,its all scents and we all know they use there noses a LOT

gonehunting 45
10-27-2012, 01:50 PM
I ahve always assumed new items needed to be scent washed to not be spoking with where or how veer they were stored
so on my scent dripper what I have been doing it washing in baking soda, I too soak them, I then hang them out in future sets a few months in advance, this way I know they smell like wher ever there going, to eliminate the dripper being whats spooking deer and not what I put in them
I also wear rubber gloves when filling them/hanging them, as well as as scent free as i can be in the clothes I wear as well
and still 4 yrs of cameras on them, my results again have been more either keeping deer away after I add scents, or mostly just doe interested in it at all

now things I take into account,
1 I know I have a ton of younger class deer with very few older aged bucks
2 , it is very possible that I have bucks just scent checking these drippers off camera, say down wind
but on this I wonder about cause many times i have lots of doe about them, and would think , all the more so when I have filled them with so called doe in heat scents, that a buck would be coming it to smell the does there at the time since the smell of one good to go should be there based on what the bottle says in in it

But I agree again, being scent free when using has to be part of it,its all scents and we all know they use there noses a LOT

Very valid points mrbb.
Now I'm not saying that every buck will come in to check it out. But I have had mature bucks come in.
Out of the 3 bucks I have shot I had an attractive scent out. I can honestly say out of those 3 only 1 came in looking for the cause of the scent. The other 2 we're within the scent circle and didn't spook and wasn't interested in it.
As long as I don't get that cause for alarm reaction from the deer I'll keep trying.

In The Stand2012
10-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Black Widow: GOLD LABEL - HOT-N-READY XXX
http://shop.blackwidowdeerlures.com/A-GOLD-LABEL-NORTHERN-WHITETAIL-DEER-LURES_c3.htm

gonehunting 45
10-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Black Widow: GOLD LABEL - HOT-N-READY XXX
http://shop.blackwidowdeerlures.com/A-GOLD-LABEL-NORTHERN-WHITETAIL-DEER-LURES_c3.htm

Shhhhh. Don't tell.......gezzzz...lol
That's it