PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Deer Kill Numbers

hortontoter
10-24-2012, 09:46 PM
I find these increases mind boggling and actually hard to believe. What do you think?

http://bit.ly/ohiodeerharvest.

ibppmd
10-24-2012, 10:02 PM
I've been keeping an eye on those numbers too. It is hard to believe the number are so much higher this year across the board in just about every county. It's only my third season hunting but I did harvest one the second weekend of the season. So, I'm pretty sure it will be my first season with multiple harvests...maybe the numbers are accurate? KB

mrbb
10-24-2012, 10:05 PM
well thats a pretty big jump in kills on both bucks and doe's and the majoriety of hunters are just getting to prime time be in the woods time

I do feel sorry for you ohio folks, all the TV coverage and hunting magazines I am sure is causing an increase on deer pressure and numbers of kills
and if ohio gets like PA, they love the income these people bring to the state and cater to them, and in the end the deer are the loosers along with the habitat
PA's bragging rights to having the most deer and deer hunters, I feel ruined hunting here, that and a game dept that sat on there ass's letting it go down without stepping up and seeing!

skeeter
10-24-2012, 10:57 PM
The weather has been great for hunting up till this week and the deer have been moving. I recall last year, all of the wind and rain made for terrible conditions. Also, the new check system makes it easy for hunters to check their deer.

ManOfTheFall
10-25-2012, 02:50 AM
I spose it could be true. But, from everyone I know and from alot of posting I'm seeing on the internet, and not just in Ohio, even the "Pro's" say they aren't seeing the numbers and getting the opportunities they have in the past. So, no! Those numbers don't make any sense.

hortontoter
10-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I just wonder if the number of bowhunters has increased to somewhat match the kills being reported. I know the number of bowhunters has increased over the years, but this is a huge increase in harvest numbers in a very short time.

gonehunting 45
10-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I guess if thats what the ODNR are claiming then it has to be right. I mean they would have NO reason to inflate the numbers.

hortontoter
10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I guess if thats what the ODNR are claiming then it has to be right. I mean they would have NO reason to inflate the numbers.

$$$$$$$$$ talks and lots of does no longer walk.

Nis
10-25-2012, 11:01 AM
I personally think those numbers are bs. Just sayin.

Roxman
10-26-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm in Brown County hunt almost everyday and I haven't seen nearly as many deer moving yet but the crops are harvested or almost all finished and I saw my first does and bucks moving edges of fields the only dissapointing thing I have heard is out in my stand bow hunting I hear guns going off all the time, I'm talking early am so it aint target shooting.
And I consider my little farm prime since I butt up to several large fields and I actually own and hunt my woods behind my home, last year had multiple scrapes and saw bucs by now moving and snorting not tis year so far.

Roxman
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Well came in this morning from the stand winds picking up
but I did see a couple of bucks walking together grazing and just moving along slowly so it aint happening here yet.

Doc148
10-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Heard 6 shots last night while in stand. I like the new game system but pretty easy to just say you harvested with a bow! I think the numbers are just reported deer that would not of been reported in the past!

hortontoter
10-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Heard 6 shots last night while in stand. I like the new game system but pretty easy to just say you harvested with a bow! I think the numbers are just reported deer that would not of been reported in the past!

That angle never crossed my mind. Would be real easy to shoot a deer with a gun and check in as a bow kill. Doc148 could be on to a reason the numbers are up. I can't believe the kill numbers could be this high in October by bowhunters, but I've been wrong many times before.

Big_Holla
10-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I also believe many last year really didn't know how to check in their deer using the phone or internet. That or they decided not to. Without the hands on of the ODNR it's likely to continue Doc148!

mrbb
10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
That angle never crossed my mind. Would be real easy to shoot a deer with a gun and check in as a bow kill. Doc148 could be on to a reason the numbers are up. I can't believe the kill numbers could be this high in October by bowhunters, but I've been wrong many times before.

here that is a BIG time practice, and why so many bucks at my place go missing after small game season starts up, the rifle shot isn't noticed so much once shotguns start going off, and we don't have any check in system, just a call in, so if you butcher your own deer no one know how it was actually shot unless you get caught
I also think a lot of poacher will do the same thing only at night, shot it them tag it saying a bow kill!
even more so when archery over laps in early season with muzzleloader seasons in different zones and or even adults tagging deer with kids/youths tags
yrs back here many, sadly would have there kid get a lic or a wife just so a guy could have a second or third tag to kill a or try to, kill a buck was crazy but very common, and still many that do this!

MICH
10-26-2012, 09:07 PM
the #s might be high because the people in the EHD areas in micigan are FLOCKING to ohio, 3 years ago i knew zero`people that hunted ohio, now its 15-17 guys( not by me telling them its good ) that been down there this year or are heading down this week or next,
but the word is more than out.

gonehunting 45
10-29-2012, 08:22 AM

I think you might be on to something. Yesterday morning we had 4 single shots go off right at first light. They we're all in different directions from us.

southeasternohiobowhunter
10-29-2012, 11:38 PM
when the new tagging system came out i thought to myself "man thats gonna suck"! there will be so many people shooting small bucks, and tagging them as doe. also as you guys have said the poachers will really have an advantage now. to me this is gonna crush our state, and in the future im guessing to see less/smaller bucks. do you all think this is an accurate statement? and what can we do to help this?

hortontoter
10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
The states and many hunters feel that only the ones that cheated before will cheat with the new tagging system. I don't agree with that philosophy. I feel if you make it easy enough to cheat the system, more will take advantage of it. A lot of guys live for today and don't worry about what the future is like. I feel the herd is already suffering in Ohio and this tagging system will increase the problem.

All we can do is play by the rules and turn in the ones that don't.

10-30-2012, 08:51 PM
you don't agree with that philosophy? you just said the new tagging system will increase the issue. that's exactly what i said, and if we don't think of the future our next generation will be effected. i see it this way...i have 2 sons of my own, and certainly want them to experience what we all have ya know?

ManOfTheFall
10-31-2012, 09:08 AM
I have noticed an increase of numbers of shots I hear as well. Especially just after sun up and right towards dusk. Tell me what they are shooting?

hortontoter
10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
you don't agree with that philosophy? you just said the new tagging system will increase the issue. that's exactly what i said, and if we don't think of the future our next generation will be effected. i see it this way...i have 2 sons of my own, and certainly want them to experience what we all have ya know?

As I stated, I don't agree with the states philosophy that only those that cheated before will cheat with the new system. If you knew me at all you would have understood my statement. I was one of the first on this forum to voice my disgust over the new tagging system. I think it has opened the door for all kinds of shady tagging scenarios.

And, I want your sons to enjoy the experiences we've had just as much, maybe even more, than you do.

ghunter
10-31-2012, 10:58 AM
I have noticed an increase of numbers of shots I hear as well. Especially just after sun up and right towards dusk. Tell me what they are shooting?

Coyote. Everybody knows that.

10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
ok gotcha man. sorry i misunderstood. i disagree though that it will only be the one's who cheated before. i have talked to several owners of deer processing here in southeastern ohio, and they all have said it's crazy how many people are bringing deer in saying they were bow shot, but they are finding evidence saying gun shot. they have said it's a huge increase from years past. the new tagging system is exactly why the numbers are much higher. hey it is what it is though, so we just have to deal with it. there's nothing they can do to take my passion from the great outdoors, but it is very disappointing...