PDA

View Full Version : No $15 Tags During Gun Season..Bout Time

hortontoter
10-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Glad to see the state changed this one. Hope it slows down the doe slaughter at least a little. What does everyone else think.

mrbb
10-24-2012, 09:41 PM
well since I guess I missed this what is it??

hortontoter
10-24-2012, 09:48 PM
The last few years the early antlerless tags could be used in gun season in Zone C. This year they have changed that.

mrbb
10-24-2012, 09:58 PM
well that can be good and bad
here we have units and have to buy a tag for each unit in a lottery long before season, and most sell out in first or second draw
but even here with units its hard to manage deer that way, some areas will have too many deer and some will have too few
like my place, I am the only farm in the near by area surrounded by say a 1,000 acres no hunting housing development, and then just a mile down the road from me, 8 tenths of a mile to be honest is 6500+ acres of public hunting lands
my place and this housing development has LOTS of deer, they have the cover, I have the food, making l;egal killing of them hard, as they live in backyards all day then come to my place after dark to eat
poachers in there living large killing ONLY bucks, making doe numebrs too high for a healthy herd I think!
But then, go to public lands just up the road, and they have poor cover and even poorer foods
thus to even see a deer there is not easy, and here we are a stone throw away having too many
guys that hunt the public land curse the state for NO deer there, and I curse the state for not being willing to work with me to lower the numbers

units zones are just too big at times
I always say it would be nice if land owners had more say in deer tag numbers
but??

YouthHunter
10-24-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't like that, didn't they changed it.

Big_Holla
10-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Wonder how many hunters will mess this one up......

gonehunting 45
10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
I like that they done this and I hope they keep it in place for a few years. I know some dont like it, but public land needs a break. There is a big difference between public and private land when it comes to deer numbers. private you can control the number of hunters and numbers of deer taken. Public is just that public, and I hate to say it but most don't care what the numbers are they have 6 tags they are going to fill them.
I know what some of you are thinking, oh here is a guy just complaining cause he can't kill a deer, not at all. I've hunted they same public land for a number of years and can tell you the doe numbers are way down.

strutndoe
10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
From the Urban Deer Unit section of the Regs...

The antlerless deer permits are valid in the Urban Units through February 3, 2013. Antlerless deer permits will not be sold after November 25, 2012.

hortontoter
10-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I guess that means they can be used during gun season in urban zones. Most urban zones have many places that gun hunting is not permitted though. Still I feel this is a move in the right direction.

no trespassing
10-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I like it.......