PDA

View Full Version : SCENT SMOKER ! ! !

rrennec2
10-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Ok I read up on a Scent Smoker and wondered if anyone uses them ? I finally bought one this year to give it a try. Always wondered why my Buddy Smokes Cigs and kills big bucks.....
Anyone use them and what are your thoughts ?

Mushijobah
10-25-2012, 01:19 AM
JUST started using it this year. Have not yet spooked a deer with it and have had a few downwind. Shot a doe that was downwind a few days ago! I support it!

Big_Holla
10-25-2012, 08:17 AM
We have had a few discussions on her over the last couple of years, some good threads you could look into. As for me, I believe in it way more than I ever did carbon clothing. I have had deer 100% downwind, on the ground, less than 10 yards. and they knew something was there, were curious about it but when they couldn't figure it out they just moved on and bedded within 40 yards. Many other instances with deer downwind but no spooking, including the buck in my avatar.

whodey1966
10-25-2012, 04:58 PM
I have been smoking up for the last four years, I have killed a deer every year and I have not been winded once. I never have to worry about the wind direction, and it is cheap! I don't use a smoker I have a burning barrel i fill with leaves and just stand over it every time before I hit the woods. IMO, there is not a better all around cover scent!!

Roxman
10-26-2012, 10:15 AM
I have a 17 foot two man stand and last year I used a trick one of my Alabama buddies used a small criso type can two self starting brickets adn pine needles and hickory and acorn shells light coal set in can put on lid keeps feet warm and smokes or smoulders if you will. Have an 8 a six and a doe come right under me I smoke cigs too many I'm afraid but never got busted! forgot to mention lid is just metal top from can trimed to fit.

Big_Holla
10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
I have a 17 foot two man stand and last year I used a trick one of my Alabama buddies used a small criso type can two self starting brickets adn pine needles and hickory and acorn shells light coal set in can put on lid keeps feet warm and smokes or smoulders if you will. Have an 8 a six and a doe come right under me I smoke cigs too many I'm afraid but never got busted! forgot to mention lid is just metal top from can trimed to fit.

Not sure if you are aware of it Roxman, the Scent Smoker idea involves smoking yourself & your equipment up before you go out. Not necessary to have an open flame so to speak out in the woods, unless of course like you said you get chilly!

Roxman
10-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Hi Big Holla yes I gathered the smoking up gear and clothes the little smoulder pot really never has an open flame and with a few small holes just does keep smoking I just commented cause it along with my occasional cig does show me wind and hopefully covers my scent, but I've only used it when it was snowing or ha snowed and lol the briquets aren't that fast to burn up. I kinda look at it as another way that now they are pushing ozone or sumpin things to take into the stand>Thanks good hunting Rox