PDA

View Full Version : Stand Cover Falling Fast

blackbeard
10-23-2012, 09:38 AM
What a difference there is between how much cover you have around you in September/early October compared to after the leaves fall. This stand is about 20 ft high and had lots of cover around it when I put it up. Now, with the leaves falling, it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. So I'll move it within the next week or so to a better rut location in a larger tree.

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/2/2/3/img_0003_735646_thumb.jpg (http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=2385)

gonehunting 45
10-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Yea BB with the leaves falling it does take away the cover, but it also opens up the view. Not sure witch I like the best, cover or being able to see further..lol This time of year I change the height I climb with my climber. Depending on the tree and whats behind me I might only climb as high as 10'.

Big_Holla
10-24-2012, 12:22 PM
If you don't already have plans for moving, you could always take in a couple oak branches w/ leaves still on and bungee them to the sides. I have had a couple stands in the past where I put them up in summer thinking they were great but when I returned in November that first sit you feel like a big tumor on the side of the tree. Tying branches in place helps if you have time to do it.

mrbb
10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
yea tree's here are almost bare already, way early this yr on dropiing leaves

I tend to have lots of pne tree's here where I hunt, so I just grab a few branches on the way in and stick them into the frame of the stands and or zip tie's or how ever
really helps me here, and they will stay green for a good 2 + months most times can even staple them about the tree on the way up too
and the advantage of Pine to me is it helps work as a cover scent too, as fresh broken off pine as a stong scent atht is natural in my area
I have also found using PVC I can make a frame around a lot of my ladder stands then add camo burlap and then some pine branches, again to add a 3d effect will even move in the breeze, and help get deer not to notice movements in my stands, or seems to
and gives me some cover scent too, win win!!

blackbeard
10-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I've had some luck adding cover to trees in the past, but I think I'm moving this one to a better spot anyway.

strutndoe
10-24-2012, 07:28 PM
mrbb, I like the pine branch idea. Cover and cover scent, great thinking!