PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a buck decoy now?

tim1676
10-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I set up using a buck decoy two sits over the weekend, one on Thursday evening and one Sunday morning. Thursday evening I had a 4pt come in to it. He checked it out for about two minutes at about 40 yards away(right in front of me) and then decided he didn't like it and took off blowing. Sunday morning I sat up in the same location, the only thing I saw was the same 4 pter, but he circle clear of my decoy in the field....

Anyone using a buck decoy now and having anything come in to it?

CityBoyzOutdoors
10-22-2012, 01:51 PM
I will be throwing on out on Friday night with some rattling also, ill let you know how it works.

whodey1966
10-23-2012, 05:07 PM
The seeking phase is the best time to use a decoy which is going on now. I have a 3-d buck target in my back yard and a buck trashed mine on Sunday eve!

mrbb
10-23-2012, 08:55 PM
I have one but don't use it, to many deer at my place are young and just get scared, snorting and blowing, only keeping mature deer out of my sets till after dark then

my personal opinion is you need mature deer/bucks and I mean a good mix of 4.5+ yr olds to have great luck with decoys, and a pretty well balanced buck to doe ratio
in areas with high deer numbers I don't think they work much if at all, too many deer and too many 1.5 yr olds
but please keep us updated if you use it, always good to hear about people trying new things and keeping track of how they go