PDA

View Full Version : Set up?

Huntaholic247
10-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Me and some family members are going hunting during gun season. I know some of you are against it, however my grandfather passed away and I lost the land to bow hunt on top of being swamped with work and looking to buy a house.

Any how, we plan to go out on Sunday Nov. 25th to set up blinds and such and we plan to hunt Monday - Wednesday.
This land is about 2 hours away (one way). Should we set our blinds and scout a little before then, or do you think it would be ok to set up blinds and such the day before gun season?

We are the only ones hunting this property and remember we will be gun hunting. What are your opinions?

Thank you.

ghunter
10-20-2012, 04:20 AM
If it were me I wouldn't worry about blinds because the deer are going to be running everywhere. How is the land around your property? If it is heavily hunted the deer and has been. The deer will run right to you. Good luck to you.

hortontoter
10-20-2012, 08:24 AM
If I had never been to the property before I would plan a day of scouting. Unless you will have time to scout on Sunday. Blinds aren't needed unless you use them as a shelter from the weather. Like ghunter said, most of the deer will be on the move, maybe running or walking, anyways. Also, I think most of us have nothing against gun hunters. Most guys on here hunt during gun season.

Rdavis006
10-20-2012, 09:31 AM
This is hard question to answer without knowing the land your hunting or the land around you. If your hunting a big piece of property I would spend some time scouting. However if your hunting a smaller piece of land with the land around receiving its share of pressure I wouldn't worry to much about it as the deer will moving to avoid the pressure of other hunters.

mrbb
10-20-2012, 10:13 AM
well I highly recommend scouting it prior to hunting it, as you might believe you are the only one's hunting it, that doesn't mean its true
scouting prior allows you to see the place, the layout of the kland, trails, and even possible evidence of hunters maybe sneaking onto it, or, setting up right on the borders
plus if the land is big or right cover, deer might be in it before daylight and stay all day if pressure is about it, so knowing where to look and set up can be a better plan and worth the 4+ hrs of driving to scout in my eye;s for sure!, and hey why not add a quick bow hunt to the scouting, even if its just for one evening sit, after scouting the place, making the trip seem better idea!

as for blinds, well I say they are good for a few things, like one being if it rains,/snows weather protection,
or two, to help keep your scent inside better, as come gun season I think deer are on the High alert and using there nose best they can when there not running
but they will stand out making nervous deer see them
and like others said are not really needed, there like a portable treestand, nice to have but not needed
and same deal, a climbing tree stand wouldn't be a bad idea on opening day too, many times can add a lot more range to chance's at a deer having the added height to see more and keep you above there eye level and scent too!

good luck

Huntaholic247
10-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks alot everyone. Mrbb that is a great idea of bowhunting that sunday evening.
There is 4 of us on about 60 acres that connects to a State Park. The landowner said there are some big deer out there.

The nice thing is there are not many neighbors surrounding the property. It always seems gun season is always nasty out. Depending on the weather I will set up my blind or just hunt from the ground. I may even take my climber. If its rainy I will just hunt the blind, if not, I most likely hunt the ground/climber.

We will have all day Sunday to scout and set up so I believe that is just what we will do. Thanks :)

MICH
10-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Me and some family members are going hunting during gun season. I know some of you are against it, however my grandfather passed away and I lost the land to bow hunt on top of being swamped with work and looking to buy a house.

Any how, we plan to go out on Sunday Nov. 25th to set up blinds and such and we plan to hunt Monday - Wednesday.
This land is about 2 hours away (one way). Should we set our blinds and scout a little before then, or do you think it would be ok to set up blinds and such the day before gun season?

We are the only ones hunting this property and remember we will be gun hunting. What are your opinions?

Thank you.

first of all hunt any waay you want as long as its legal..2nd, i'm a big fan on hanging a stand and hunting it the next a.m.... i would hang 1 stand each, while you are hunting decide where the deer are moving, where they are coming from..my .02

Huntaholic247
10-21-2012, 03:58 AM
Thanks a lot everyone, honestly. I hope to see some signs. If there are 4 of us and the property is a 60 acre rectangle, what is the best set up to not mess up each other with wind, entering and exiting, etc. This is a rough screen shot of the land. The green arrow is where we will enter. The green circle is a small-medium hill side. Where do you suggest? (North is straight up as normal and South is at bottom of picture)

http://i.imgur.com/o3ckE.png
I realize this gives you like nothing to go on, but I have never been there. Just looking for insight.