PDA

View Full Version : Son on Fall Break ... First Bow Kill on 7 point. Should I mount?

mneal
10-19-2012, 01:55 PM
My son got home from college on Wednesday night and had his first bow kill on Thursday evening. I rushed home from work to pick him up and he told me his bow sites were way off. He switched to his brother's bow, shot five decent arrows, and we headed to the stand. At 5:15 last night he stuck this buck for his first ever bow kill. My first bow kill was at the age of 43... he is 19 and hooked for life now! Interestingly enough... I watched the buck go down behind my stand after my son double lunged him at 20 yds. with the old Hoyt Fastflite.

I have never seen this buck on trail-cam so I am not sure where he came from... but I am glad he showed up to eat apples last night under one of my stands. There is nothing like watching your son accomplish something that you personally know is not easy! Every father should have such an experience. I am leaning towards having it mounted just because it is his first bow kill.. (not his first buck) Not because it is a trophy... but because it is an accomplishment he can always look back on. Yes or No on the mount from the fathers that have done this already?

hortontoter
10-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Congrats to your son on his first archery buck.

I wouldn't hesitate to mount it for him. Someday when you are gone the memory of a great day spent with his father will come back every time he looks at the mount. Priceless in my opinion.

Mike F
10-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Congrats to your son on his first archery buck.

I wouldn't hesitate to mount it for him. Someday when you are gone the memory of a great day spent with his father will come back every time he looks at the mount. Priceless in my opinion.

Yep, that's what I say also

teej89
10-19-2012, 04:21 PM
My dad got my first buck kill mounted was a decent 8pt when I was 14, I'm 23 now and it's still hanging in my room and we always talk about it, it keeps the memory fresh. The day i killed it, my dad was sitting with me that day and we can recite that entire morning up till 8:30 like it was yesterday and we basically do everytime we see that mount.

And the way I see it, it is a trophy, you both probably worked hard for that bow kill. Do it, you won't regret it, and if/when he moves out there are gonna be fights to who gets it haha

BowHunter25
10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Absolutely you should. My uncle took my 1st deer I killed and mounted it for me as a christmas present. It was spike buck that was just barely legal for WV gun season. I was 13 then and now i'm 29 and still have it today and hang it on my wall proudly.

gonehunting 45
10-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I sure would. Another option I have heard of folks taking a great picture and turning it into a poster.
Congrats to your son

deerguy10
10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
I know my time in the woods with my father means the world to me so I see any deer taken when we are in the woods together as a trophy! to mount it or not that's up to you... I'm sure the memory made will last a lifetime but, I am also sure your son would enjoy the mount as well... congrats to him and you!!!

radicalxl
10-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I agree with everyone else, definetly mount it.

Rdavis006
10-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I would definitely do something with it be a full shoulder mount or skull cap on a plaque. My first deer was a small 6pt with my grandfather that we did a skull cap with. My grandfather has since passed but every I see the plaque vivid memories of that hunt and the proud look of my grandpa's face come back to me just like it happened yesterday. Congrats to your son

YouthHunter
10-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I've got my first one mounted, a little seven point. It hangs on my wall with the rest! Every time I look at it brings back that great memory!

Stonegod
10-19-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm with everyone else.....mount it!! And congrats to your son on his first bow kill!!

Bambislastbreath
10-19-2012, 10:02 PM
YES!!!!!! mount him and display him proudly!!!!!!! 2 reasons....1 any deer killed with a bow is a accomplishment.....and 2 your sons first bow kill!!!! my son is only 4 and wants to go with me and his first deer, buck or doe i will mount for him to have!!!

ManOfTheFall
10-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Congratulations. Definitely mount it. How could you not after seeing his face in that picture.

shred_thumb
10-21-2012, 02:40 AM
First of all, congrats! Secondly, there are plenty of alternative options available at www.wudyaget.com.

strutndoe
10-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I agree with everyone. The memory associated with his buck is priceless, definitely mount! Congrats to your son on his first bow kill and congrats to you both for heading in the woods together!

spatrick
10-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Get it mounted, and congrats to your son.

mneal
07-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Thought I would post a quick update with a picture of my son's first bow kill mount. I listened to all of you who responded to my post and I have no regrets on mounting this deer. The first thing my son did when he got home from college for the summer... mounted his first bow kill on the wall and told his mother to keep it left so he would have room for more.. :) 10212

mrbb
07-15-2013, 11:58 AM
well I think that's great you had it mounted for him, it will be a great reminder of a great hunt
after all its not the size of the kill, its the quality of the hunts
and heck, when he gets a bigger buck, it will always look bigger next to this one, LOL, thus adding to the progress of his hunting !
after all, we all seem to start with smaller bucks and work our way up
makes for a nice collection of mounts then, to me that tells a story!

Big_Holla
07-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Looks absolutely GREAT!!! May there be many, many more for him!!

teej89
07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Really cool! He'll remember that day forever. And you will too cuz that deer will probably stay at your house. I left all my mounts back in my bedroom at home in PA cuz that's where they belong, my bedroom there wouldn't be the same without them. However my next mount is coming to my place in Columbus :D

hortontoter
07-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Your taxidermist did a fantastic job. You did the right thing and I'm sure your son will cherish the mount for years to come.

gonehunting 45
07-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Outstanding.... Nicely done. Congrats

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM
nice mount wish i had mounted my first all i have is a good story congrats you made the rite decision