PDA

View Full Version : Hung A Scrape Dripper

hortontoter
10-18-2012, 09:59 PM
I hung a scrape dripper as an experiment on Tuesday morning. I have a camera in the vicinity, but not directly at the site. The branch I hung it on is a licking branch over a scrape that is in this spot every season. My camera is where four mowed trails intersect. The scrape is on one of the four mowed trails about 30 yards from the four way intersection. Curious to see if deer traffic increases or decreases at this intersection over the next month. The doe in the photo is right where the four trails meet each other. My scrape dripper was placed about 35 yards directly past the deers left ear on the edge of the mowed trail. I'll keep everyone posted as to what transpires.

mrbb
10-18-2012, 10:03 PM
OK what did you fill it with??

I will be hanging one of mine over a active scrape this week, and not sure what I plan to stick in it
if it was legal here I think I would fill it with apple cider! LOL

but might try some more of the Active scrape stuff they sell at wally world, wild life research

hortontoter
10-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Guess I should have stated that. Active Scrape from Wildlife Research. Apple cider would be much cheaper. Or maybe some home brew from Bokes Creek.

mrbb
10-18-2012, 11:04 PM
No reason I asked is over the yrs I have tried many different things in them, doe /buck scents, doe in heat, so called scrape stuff and so on
so was just wondering what your trying!
I wonder if wine would work, never tried that??
I wonder if the PA game commision here would concider that baiting or I would try it maybe !!

deerguy10
10-19-2012, 06:43 PM
No reason I asked is over the yrs I have tried many different things in them, doe /buck scents, doe in heat, so called scrape stuff and so on
so was just wondering what your trying!
I wonder if wine would work, never tried that??
I wonder if the PA game commision here would concider that baiting or I would try it maybe !!

You'd have to take it down on sundays though! or the ATF could get you for serving beer/wine on sunday... :cheers2:

mrbb
10-19-2012, 08:26 PM
HA HA HA
NO if legal in PA, as long as you have food you can serve booze on Sunday's too !! LOl

hortontoter
10-22-2012, 07:41 AM
I hunted in my pop up blind Saturday evening. This stand is approx. 50 yards from where I hung the scrape dripper last Tuesday. I had an 8 point come in at 5:02 and go right to the licking branch I hung the dripper on. He did a number on the branch and pawed the ground up pretty good while I watched him. He was not a deer I wanted to take at this stage of the season, but he got my heart thumpin a bit. I hunted again Sunday evening in the same stand and nothing showed. Knowing the weather is warming this week and I probably won't hunt I checked the scrape area last night after leaving my stand. The scrape dripper had been torn off the licking branch. It was covered with leaves from the bucks scraping or maybe other bucks. It took a minute to find it and I hastily bungeed it back to the limb. I think I'm going to figure out a way to hang it higher above the deers reach. Did the dripper attribute to his showing up is anybodys guess. I'll be pulling camera cards today to see if deer traffic has increased in the crossing near the dripper.

mrbb
10-22-2012, 11:06 AM
cool update, always fun to watch them make a scrape

I will be checking my cam's today too, and adding a scent dripper to one scrape today too, I had the cam over the scrape for a week now with no dripper and now will add a dripper to see if I get any more action with it
but to be honest now were getting closer to the rut and its a field scrape, that gets hit alot every yr, not sure it will mean the dripper is doing anything extra to it, but makes for good pic's if it works!

hortontoter
10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Kinda fun to experiment. I got to look my scrape setup over to get the dripper higher. I'm thinking of taking an old fishing rod and running a line through the yes and attaching the rod to a tree. That way I could raise the dripper when filled and lower it to fill it. I'm thinking I could use some type of pole with a hook on the end to reach the dripper and have extra line to pull it away from the scrape to fill the bottle. This would keep me from getting right in the scrape to refill the bottle. The lengths we won't go to to get our hands on a nice set of antlers.

gonehunting 45
10-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Great update. I hung one years ago when they first came out. It empyted so fast it wasn't worth it.
One thing I am going to try is the code blue grave digger this year. I found it for a 1$ on the clearance rack last year. thought what the heck.

mrbb
10-22-2012, 03:03 PM
I have found I can hang mine as high as I want with just a long string I toss it over a high branch then lower to fill then tie it off up as high as I want
I found the best set for me is with it just high enough they cam bump it almost standing up, as when they hit it it causes some more to come out and keeps them there a little longer
but to be honest doing this for a few yrs now, doe seem to be most interested in teh dripper, and bucks just come and open the scrape up not paying much attention to whats in it, and I have filled it with all sorts of scents from doe in heat to you name it if they sold it ! I think I tried it
but to me its just fun way to get pic's and well never know?

ApparitionRob
10-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Another good tactic to go along with the dripper is to make a licking branch. We use 3/4" to 1" manilla rope and hang a 2ft section (on average) from a branch. I then saturate the end of it in my pre-orbital lure called Apparition Scents - Nightmare. The deer have been really taking to it this year, they seem to like rubbing their head and antlers off the rope quite a bit. The rope also holds the scent a lot longer rather then a cotton wick or just applying the pre-orbital lure to a branch.
Just another way to have fun with the camera!!

Big_Holla
10-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Was going to say the best way I found to put the thing up, so you aren't getting all your scent in and on the overhanging branch, is to find a long sapling and tie the dripper to the end. Then proceed to tie the sapling in place on the tree. Use scent killer spray on the cord you use to tie it in place with and all up along the sapling.

mrbb
10-24-2012, 06:19 PM
OK a little update just for kicks
I had my camera over an active field scrape for a week
I then added a scent dripper with wild life reserch active scrape scent, scent
I hung it wearing gloves, and the scent dripper was a hanging on a tree near by since last yr, so it had to be fine with scent on it itself

next I took a second scent dripper and half filled it(same as above only suposed to fill half way to work right)

wearing different clean gloves and again on a dripper left out(but washed before leaving out I forgot to add)
I took that dripper and hung it on a narrow road going between a pond and a swamp, making deer have to pass it with in say 5-6 feet of it
hung it about 5 ft off the ground, spilled some on the ground, didn't make a mock scrape just spilled some and then hung dripper

that was yesterday
just to kill time and due to where its at deer only typically go pst it at night, I did a quick check on the cam over it

46 pictures of about 25 different deer walked past it, or grater than 15 minutes or so on the pci's times
and off all the pic's only one doe was any where near it in a pic,
not one deer in pictures, even looked its way
I had several Nice bucks walk past it or I shoudl say get there pic taken, but no where near it

will run the set up for a week or so and check thsi cam daily as its easy to get in and out
and then check the other cam, and see if I got more pic's with the dripper or without the dripper

but so far its been like yrs in the past
doe noticing it more than bucks
but will see
just an update and pic's of this set up

first pic if you look you can see the dripper
, second pic you can see the doe pointing to it with her nose in the background and last pic is just a good buck just walking by with no see reaction

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/029-11.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/005-16.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/023-13.jpg

hortontoter
10-24-2012, 09:32 PM
I wonder if your buck to doe ratio has somthing to do with the non interest. I know at my place that the buck to doe ratio is about two bucks to each doe. I know this by running my cameras nearly year round. This is why I harp on the state allowing what I consider the over harvest of does year after year.

mrbb
10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
well I am sure it could have something to do with it, I do have LOTS of doe, but at the same time this yr I have lots of bucks too
I maybe have a 3 to 1 or maybe as high as a 4 doe to 1 buck ratio here, its about the best I have been able to get it, but from here on out my buck numbers will be dropping fast, as poaching picks up speed about this time of yr, now small gun hunting is in, so gun shots are not as attention getters as before, so more3 poaching happens
and then my buck to doe ratio can be as high as 7 to 1 or maybe more, it gets crazy
many time I have had 30-40 doe in a plot and not a buck to be seen come mid nov!
But
I firmly believe my biggest problem is age of my deer too many 1.5 yr old bucks, that really don't know what the smells are
I personaly feel it takes a buck a few yrs to really get the what smell means what under its belt, and then add in all the doe's the few 3.5 or 4.5 yr old deer I have to pick from
due to just location of cover, most of the deer here all bed close to each other
a older buck never has to go far to get with a doe here
thus scrapes and drippers scents, get very very little attention from bucks, but I do seem to get a lot of attention from doe's of all ages
they just seem to like to smell new thinsg here!
to be honest, I think I would get more pic's of deer smelling checking out a bucket than deer scents LOL
as if I leave anything out in the food plot and watch almost every deer will go check it out in summer time, very courious critters when they ain't being hunted !!

mrbb
10-25-2012, 09:11 PM
ok had extra time today and with it raining this afternoon decided to go check the second scent dripper camera

pulled Sd card, had 48 pictures in the past 3 days , over what WAS an active scrape
since I hung the dripper the scrape was abandoned or at least not a single buck pic
I did get 44 pictures of different does smelling the dripper, and one red fox
which again to me like in past yrs, says MY bucks tend to stay away from drippers
this scrape was on a main food source for me, it gets tore up every yr, and this yr it was getting hit since the season opened, till I hung the dripper
I will run the camera here for another week and see if it picks up, then move whole set up to another active scrape being hit right now, and see if I get same results

hortontoter
10-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Those are some pretty amazing results Stan. Hard to understand that the scent would make the bucks stay away. I pulled my card from the camera that is about 50 yards from my dripper and noticed less deer activity on that camera. I moved the camera to monitor the scrape so I get a true idea of what goes on at the scrape.

mrbb
11-02-2012, 11:04 AM
OK I check cam's yesterday
now on the scent dripper I hung just on a tree on a trail deer have to walk past it, NO scrape, I got 81 pic's, about 25% bucks, two solid 4.5 yr lds too, and NOT one looked at that dripper, BUT when I got there yesterday the dripper was empty and upin the branches from the storm's 75 + mph winds, but before that it should have had scent in it, and again not one deer even looking at it

second set up, and again this one was over a very very active scrape, was deering deer hit it every time i hunted where i could see it
since I added the scent dripper to it, I went from it being both active to NOT active, from having cam there before dripper , getting like 100 pic's or so every 3 days
to just 10 pic's in 5 days and onbly 1 being a buck, other were doe's and a dam house cat, and NO idea where that cam from at 2 am

now I checked cam on way to stand last nite, I even shook the dripper a little to add a little extra scent to the mix
got on stand could see dripper, had wind blowing from dripper to right at me all sit
I had several deer come out, but again NONE hear the dripper, and before this, they came out there 75% of the time
next had a solid 4.5 yr old come out down wind of that dripper and feed for 10+ minutes(out of range from me sadly, or I'd maybe be showing you a pic of him)
But he never once went any where near that dripper, after he fed he dogged does till dark , but even with him running after them NO deer went near that dripper
SO??
is this all just ??? or again after must be 4 yrs now doing this and seeing how deer here avoid drippers, I have to wonder
now the storm and all might have played into this, but going from a 100 pic's a week for a while to just 10??

mrbb
11-08-2012, 10:04 PM
ok just checked cam, dates are wrong sorry don't know what happened??
any how been 5 days since I checked it, and again, WAY down on pic's, and again just 10 pictures, 2 of me checking, two doe 2 foxes, and 4 bucks, BUT I did get a great pic of a buck smelling the dripper, BUT I filled it with some new bottle of scrape juice scents the last time I checked it, and this well, not making great improvements, but did get bucks to visit it

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/CDY_0008.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/CDY_0009.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/CDY_0010.jpg

and this is just one that I think was dogging a doe, I npassed on him about 25 times last yr, and this is the first time I seen him since Aug

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/CDY_0007.jpg

YouthHunter
11-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Well a couple really nice bucks there! I've tried a scrap but, also only pictures where deer walking by it.

hortontoter
11-09-2012, 08:28 AM
I've been getting pretty good activity at my dripper. Had a spike come up and sniff the bottle the other night while I was on stand near the dripper. He nosed it and jumped back from it. But, he just moseyed away eating briar leaves as he left.

I hunted on 10/27 and when I left my stand I decided to experiment a little. I went up and peed in the scrape under the dripper. I had more deer on camera that night than any night since I moved my camera over to monitor the dripper. Was it just a coincidence or did this really attract more deer than my Code Red. I've not tried this again and don't plan to.