PDA

View Full Version : Heater Body Suits

Wildlife
10-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Late September and early October is my favorite time of the year to be in the woods hunting. I really can’t handle the colder temperatures even though I grew up in the snow belt areas of upstate NY. I suffer arthritis in my chest and upper back area from an accident that happen over a decade ago. It only bothers me only when I get cold or overdo it. I get super stiff in the chest and upper spin area any time I shiver and shake. When I do hunt the colder weather, I dress for the Antarctic and try to manage.

I’m thinking about purchasing one of these “Heater Body Suits” and I was wondering if anyone has one and would be willing to share the “pros and cons” about them. It’s a hefty investment IMO and I’m willing to spend the money if they do what they say they do. I would expect not to get cold at all if I choose to sit all day, which is something I rarely do now days. Any good information shared would be greatly appreciated!

JMax510
10-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I have one and they really do keep you warm. I've sat out all day in 10 degrees with 20 mph winds in a treestand with a light jacket on underneath. Not saying I was completely warm that day but I wouldnt have made it 2 hrs without it. I haven't actually shot my bow while wearing it but practiced in the tree drawing and aiming while hunting and it didn't seem like it would be a problem. They have a suspender system inside and it holds suit from falling all the way down while your standing to shoot. I put mine on after I'm in stand and have safety harness on. It rolls up for travel and I bungee cord it to my stand and climbing sticks which is bungee corded to my backpack

You can get away with moving arms around inside and deer never notice. Also I think they contain your odor. Overall they are a worthwhile investment if your hunting in the cold. I'd keep an eye out on classifieds here or archerytalk and also check ebay. Mine is the updated model which happened around 2010 I think. I can't remember what difference is but my brother has the older model and he grumbles about something but I can't remeber what.

mrbb
10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
well yes they work, and some models are waterproof and some not, and some are just make more noise than others I think you have to ask yourself how you hunt if there a good investment or not I know right now many companys are making heated lackets and pants using cordless drill type large batteries but some brand name companys I am sure they work, but lots of added weight I would think carring batteries with you if you hunt mostly out of ground blinds in late season or when temps drop I personally think a heater is a best method turn on get warm, turn off when your hot I have never seen it scare deer, but again sure it could, they make small one's and easy to use a heater body suit will work great in a blind too, but then again so does a simple blanket too I have lots of real bad arthritis and a bunch of back injuries so I feel your issue all too well
I spent a small fortune over the yrs on cold weather gear
I pesonally feel using good layers is a huge key, best outer WARM cold weather gear I have is some stuff made by a company called Raven Wear, not cheap in any way, but to me its as warm as it gets, and the quietest heavy cold gear made
I personally found that them heat packs keep me in the tree the longest too, I duck tape them to my kidneys, so as I sit either against the tree, or in a chair they add pressure to my back, it helps both keep me warm and my back from hurting as much
I have sat many many times with the raven wear and the heat packs in -20 temps for 13+ hrs sits
not saying I was hot, but I could do it many days in a row
I buy the heat packs by the casde, much cheaper that way, or wally world after the season on blow out, they keep a long time as long as they stay sealed
sorry if i got off subject
but yes they work, but are a little big and bulky for in a treestand I feel!

Wildlife
10-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Appreciate the information guys. Well, I did a little more research on-line about them. I think I’m going to get me one. I hunt out of tree stands only, no ground blinds, and I occasionally use my climber. Waterproof, warm, easy to use, durable and quiet is something I’m hoping for. I currently use a one piece Scentblocker coverall for my scent control. I would expect the body suit to do even a better job containing any foreign odor coming from me. I like the idea of containing body movement within the suit. Comes with a safety strap, pretty cool. I’ll let you know how it works out for me. Thanks again.

Wildlife
11-22-2012, 12:14 PM
The first time I used it was this past Saturday. I hunted all day in Wayne National Forest. Not for a moment did I get cold even though it was in the teens at the bottom of the holler I was hunting in. I wore the suit right up until noon, and then I put it back on just before prime time. It’s quiet, warm and easy to use. Before I left the house, I dressed as if I was hunting 60⁰+ temperatures even though the high that day was something like in the low-40s. Finally, for the first time in years, I’m now looking forward to the entire hunting season. The latest I ever harvested a deer was the 1st week of December back in 2007. I killed a decent buck last November, but he wasn’t the buck I originally targeted. I remember that I decided to finish up with him because I was plain tired of the freezing cold wet weather. Now I have to no excuse for not sticking with the one I want no matter how long it takes me through the hunting season. That’s the absolute reason why I decided to spend the money that I did because of what happened last season. So I spent some bucks to get the buck I’m looking for. So far, I’m very happy with my investment.

Lord ToneKing
11-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but my problem is my feet! I can keep warm everywhere else but my feet get so cold no matter what boot or sock combination I use :(

Anyone suggest some heated socks or foot warmers that work?

Wildlife
11-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but my problem is my feet! I can keep warm everywhere else but my feet get so cold no matter what boot or sock combination I use :(

Anyone suggest some heated socks or foot warmers that work?

All I can say is that I wore my muck boots with a plan pair of socks only. I even had frost on my suit and climber all morning long and I was as warm as one could be. The suit covers your entire body including your feet. It’s pretty nice if all you are doing is sitting in a stand or blind.

radicalxl
11-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a good investment for me also. I would like to think I may continue hunting too, but the fact of getting older and the old joint surgeries has caused me not to have the desire. I am planning on doing a couple of days during gun season, sounds like that owning one of those suites would change my attitude quite a bit. How much in good old American dollars did it cost?

Wildlife
11-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Sounds like a good investment for me also. I would like to think I may continue hunting too, but the fact of getting older and the old joint surgeries has caused me not to have the desire. I am planning on doing a couple of days during gun season, sounds like that owning one of those suites would change my attitude quite a bit. How much in good old American dollars did it cost?

Not cheap by any means; approximately $360 gets the suit shipped right to your house. I spent almost $300 for my hunting bibs 3yrs ago and the body heater suit keeps me much warmer. I can honestly say I’m no longer fearful of the cold wet weather when I want to hunt now. Pretty cool!

Big_Holla
11-23-2012, 03:17 PM
That's a great product review Wildlife! I have been in the same boat with slowly not being able to take the cold anymore. My buddy teases me because my back pack usually has a few jackets strapped to it so I look like I am heading out into the tundra of Alaska. My wife is way worse as well as my daughter. Might have to do some looking at those.