PDA

View Full Version : uggghh we've all had this feeling!

backwoodshick28
10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
WELL FELLAS, my wife was able to fly an arrow at this big brute last Saturday evening and it is gut wrenching...we got the blood soaked arrow and followed drops from there for about 60yards and it turned into spot and eventually nothing.
we gave up for the night and i went back to look at the arrow and i then noticed the stomach matter on the fletchings and the smell. So then i spent almost all day Sunday looking found nothing. I came home to my wife in tears and an emotional mess. I believe all of us if not most of us have been this situation at least once in our lifetime and it causes us to loose much sleep over it wondering where he is. so the wife has been looking everyday this week while i have been at work. at this point the words "give it up" are too far away.....this post is a mixture of me venting to all the fellow outdoors men who have gone through this and me asking for any advice if there is any. I'm sure its safe to say that he is dead somewhere because he hasn't been back to the trail camera since.

Stonegod
10-09-2012, 07:05 PM
It's mostlikely to late now, but did you consider contacting one of the guys on here that have tracking dogs?

gonehunting 45
10-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Gut shot deer often head for water. Might want watch for buzzards and listen for coyotes.
I feel for you its a bad feeling. Hunt long enough it will happen. Good luck hope you find him

blackbeard
10-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Keep looking, he'll die, happens to the best of us.

Greybeard11
10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
I feel for you. Keep looking and try to let the wife know that we've all been there!!

mrbb
10-09-2012, 10:31 PM
well I agree, it sucks, ben there more times that I wish I was

I agree too, its MAYBE too late to ask for a tracking dog to help you look
and I do wish more folks would try using one when things start to go south, they are great tools, and a few good guys on this site have great dogs too

BUT I don't think many can track a deer NOW< but a DOG still can be a great tool for looking about, they typically have a desire to investigate dead things, and there nose is many many times better than our's

if you have any friends with even bird dogs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to invite them over for a walk about where you last tracked it
if nothing else you will have some extra eye's and few noses going!
next would be to do a grid search with as many friends as you can drum up

thats a BIG deer, and I would be pounding the dirt walking my ass off looking and trying to get as many guys to help

might still be a lost cause, but I would try all I could before giving up
hope you find it, one way or another, good luck!

mrsohiobuckhunter
10-09-2012, 10:34 PM
i totally know how that is. tell your wife i would have cried too!

Big_Holla
10-10-2012, 08:17 AM
My wife and daughter have been through it as well. The only thing I can say is look at the deer tracking dog section and see if there is anyone who can help.

http://trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/

Other Ohio Tracker Contacts
"LIST OF OTHER TRACKERS IN OHIO" (Dave) (513)526-3806 Butler County, Ohio (William H. Brown Jr. Paris, Ohio)(330)-862-2827 (Ben Byington Sandusky, OH)(419)656-6137 (Nick Lenhoff New Madison, Ohio)(937)790-0598 (Rex Marshall Wilmington, Ohio)(937)604-8430 (Patrick McCaffrey Columbus, Ohio)(614)264-2700 Ben& Courtney Hershberger Temperance, Michigan)(419)574-1683

hortontoter
10-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Most of us have been there. Gut wrenching to say the least. I think dogs might be a good idea.

ApparitionRob
10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
That is tough to hear man! i wish you guys the best of luck, we all have been through it, thats for sure, if you have not, you are one good/lucky hunter! A gut shot deer will die the majority of the time, i would be wearing some boot leather off for sure!

bds9
10-11-2012, 09:20 AM
I keep checking back in on this hoping to see a different outcome. I know how bad it sucks, and hopefully the deer either lives or you find him. Thats a heck of a buck and I hate to see him go to waste!

00buck
10-11-2012, 11:32 AM
i would have tried to get a hold of one of the guys on here with tracking dogs

black swamp
10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
I know how you feel I lost a nice one last wed nite a good 11 pointer it sucks

backwoodshick28
10-16-2012, 07:00 PM
well nothing yet we've been looking hard when we get the chance and time and still haven't searched every treetop and hollow yet so we'll still keep looking. My poor wife got tore up by a yellow jacket nest last Saturday and so we gave up the search for the day due to her face and arms swelled up. ..The search continues!