BigFish83
10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Username: BigFish83
County: Fairfield
Years Bowhunting: 0
Public or Private Land: Will be hunting private
Own Land (Y/N): No
Type of bow: Matthews Helim
Other Bow Accessories: Extreme Recon Sight, Whisker Bisquit rest, Tru Fire Hardcore release
3D Shooter (Y/N): No
If yes, name of club:
Gunhunter (Y/N): Yes
Predator Hunter (Y/N): Yes
Turkey Hunter (Y/N): Yes
How You Found BO.com: Searched the internet for Ohio bow hunting forums
Any Information You Need: Since im new to bows and bow hunting Id like to gain any knowledge that I can that will help me be successful in my future hunts.

Ok now that the initial intro is out of the way here is a little bit more about myself. I have been into hunting for several years mainly small game. Last year was my first time turkey hunting and I fell in love with it. Im spending this deer season practicing with my new bow and aquiring all the gear needed for next year. Next year year will be my first year deer hunting and what better way to do it than with bow.

The first time I ever shot a compound bow was a month ago at the local proshop when I purchased my Helim. So I cant wait to get in the woods and take down some nice whitetails.

bigcountry
10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
hey there bigfish welcome aboard...and good choice on first bow..the only advice i could give ya right now would be to swap out the whisker buscuit for a drop away but thats all personal preference...the whisker buscuit is gonna slow it down around 10-20 fps and it rips your vanes after continual use...but glad to see another hunter has picked up a bow and getting hooked on it...congrats and good luck brother

mrbb
10-08-2012, 09:36 PM
well welcome to the site, its a great place to ask and get Good answers
good group of guys here
as for hunting deer next yr??? why wait till then?
if your shooting well now, no better time to start than now
you really don't need a ton of great to hunt and kill deer
sure its nice to have the latest and greatest and all the hype stuff, but its truely not needed
as for your rest, its personal preference for sure, I know many guys that have hunted with a wisker rest and still love them as they did the day they got them,
sure it could take a feather or two off after a LOT of shooting, and will drop a few FPS, I don't think its as high as 10-15, but could be wrong,,
but it really doesn't make a huge difference, biggest importance is how well you group and can place at arrow where you want it at what ever range your comfortable shooting and NOT bashing the advice about a drop away, they do work and are nice once set up right, but a wisker rest to me is a simpler rest and less to go wrong so two sides to every coin

best of luck and have fun!

Big_Holla
10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Great to have you join us!!!!