PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunting at the Rolling R Ranch

Wildlife
10-08-2012, 11:26 AM
A few friends and I went down to the Ozarks in Arkansas and did a little hog hunting and some fishing in the White River. I had a blast. I took 4 pigs that morning and caught a bunch of fish later that afternoon. All within a 2.5h hunt I took 3 pigs with a longbow and one with my Marlin 30/30. Sorry that I do not have any other pics other than what PlaywiththewindMike shot with my 30/30 (The attached pic is not my gun.) The video shows my last kill of a 250lb. male that I let go the first time because they came in from behind me. This was the only video I made of that hunt. When the last pig stops, I let him have it at 43yrds. You can see where he drops to his belly on impact and I recovered him 50yrds away. Again, it was a blast. It’s worth doing if you never done it before and the meat is just awesome. I want to get some more. If you like pork, these guys are very tasty.

http://youtu.be/soTDnRZpa9M

Stonegod
10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a blast!! That's alot of pork!!! What kind of fish were you catching?

Wildlife
10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds like a blast!! That's alot of pork!!! What kind of fish were you catching?

Yes, we had plenty of fun hunting and fishing. I'm actually almost out of that pork and I wish I had more. Much better than what I get from the grocery store that's forsure. Trout and Bass - Brown/Rainbow and both Large/Smallmouth. We caught enough of them to have a fish fry for a few nights that fed 5 hungry guys. The White River is a beautiful fast moving clear water river. Well known for some of the best trout fishing in the country. No need for a fish finder, just the right bait. Plenty of snakes too. Have to watch out for those that were hanging out in the trees right above your head at times. Just a lot fun and I look forward to our next trip out there.

Big_Holla
10-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Very nice job!! That's a to-do some day thing for me as well!!

00buck
10-15-2012, 12:50 PM
how much does it cost to go there

Wildlife
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
how much does it cost to go there

It was fairly inexpensive, IMO. We road together so we split the fuel cost amongst four of us. We stayed at PlaywiththewindMike’s dad’s cabin within the Ozarks. We earned our keep by doing some choirs around the cabin and fixed up his dad’s boat. The cost for the actual hunt at the Rolling R Ranch wasn’t too bad I thought. It was approximately $300 for the first pig and half price for everyone after that. My fishing license was no more than $25 and that included the trout license. We did our own cooking and cleaning along with plenty of drinking. I paid for my pigs to be processed, which was something like $60/pig. Altogether, I spent less than $1000 bucks for a trip of a life time. Like I said, I had a blast and I’m looking forward to our next trip back.

Stonegod
10-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Of the 4 hogs you took how much meat did you end up with?