PDA

View Full Version : The reason why

Wildlife
10-08-2012, 09:59 AM
These pics might explain why I didn't see anything during that morning hunt. They were waiting on me. The 10 is a deer I let walk last season a few times. I would like to see him go at least another year as well. The 8 I let walk Thursday 8am in the morning at 28yrds too. There are bigger ones in the area. Look at the time on the pics and you'll understand why I didn't see anything during the day light.

hortontoter
10-08-2012, 12:51 PM
That is the main reason I don't like to hunt mornings on my property. Seems every time I hunt I push the deer out of my area getting to the stand. I'd much rather get in early in the afternoon and let the deer get up and walk to me in the evening.

Wildlife
10-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree. I prefer afternoon hunts for the same reasons and the warmer temperatures. I'm not crazy about the colder temps. This particular property and one of the others that I hunt are tuff to get into in the am hours. The deer are usually there first. Thats why I stayed home this morning. I will be heading out later this afternoon though.

Big_Holla
10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Hard to say how to hunt that but by the trail cam pics they give you an indication that you need to be there much earlier. That or if you think they are bedding further/deeper in then maybe go in at first light.

hortontoter
10-08-2012, 03:38 PM
So much depends on the wind direction most of the time. I always have to approach my stands from the east due to the way my property is laid out. Works out good because most times the wind is from the W, NW or SW. But, in the AM I am walking into the area deer transition through from feed to bedding. I tried the first light approach Saturday morning and hunted the stand closest to my cabin. Easy, quiet approach, but not in an area the deer use this early in the season. Not a deer to be seen that morning.

I like the warmer afternoon temps also Wildlife. Also the way my main stand is situated most deer approach me coming downhill. This helps me use the evening thermals to my advantage also.

Wildlife
10-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Hard to say how to hunt that but by the trail cam pics they give you an indication that you need to be there much earlier. That or if you think they are bedding further/deeper in then maybe go in at first light.

I didn't included the entire story and perhaps I should have to further explain my late arrivial to my tree. I'm ususally in my stand earlier than 6am, however I had a guest with me and he was a little late and I had to get him to his tree since he never hunted it before. You're absolutely ritht though; getting to the tree ealier most likely would have helped me out on this hunt forsure. This was my second morning hunt this season at the particular property and I knew there would be bucks in there based on my previous hunt, but at a different location on the property. During that first morning hunt, I watched a nice buck cruise towards that stand from the otherside of the property around 8am. I totally appreciate your insight though!