PDA

View Full Version : How to confront a hunter carring a gun?

JeepGirl
10-07-2012, 08:19 AM
How does one get a hunters attention with out scarring the daylites out of him when he is only feet from you & doesn't see you. I was setting in a small group of trees when he came into view carring a gun & no orange what so ever. He was looking up into the trees for squirrels. I had a orange hat on & he didn't see me. He was so focused it took 3 hellos befor he heard me. Any ideas on how to get their attention quicker & stay safe. Thanks for imput.

Buckeye360
10-07-2012, 10:20 AM
I have found they see me first because they are looking in trees. But one time, I had kids walk in and sit at base of nearby tree and light up Weed:-) I decided to go with my doe bleat can and it worked. They apologized and walked of with there guns and weed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

gonehunting 45
10-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I let out a couple light whistles. Just loud enough for them to hear. Had a guy squirrel hunting get close yesterday. I never seen him but when he let lose with that 22 I knew he was close. Let out a couple whistles never seen him or heard any more shooting.

mrbb
10-07-2012, 12:45 PM
well to be honest, I try to let them know before they get close to me
I have to have an organe hat/vets with me when ever small gam and archery over lap more or less, I found waving the orange works well from a distance, and MOST will go away from you
some however seem to think yu want company and to shoot the breeze with them, had that happen way too many times over the yrs

but if one should happen to get on me without me knowing so, I would whisle softly and get louder as needed

but to me, best deal is to get there attention farther out than on top of you if you can!
unless you want them close to get a good look at a trespasser, and then give them notice of the law breaking!, I do that now a days the most

Big_Holla
10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Like GH45 I whistle as well. Start soft and work my way up til I get his/her attention. Then wave my ungloved hand or usually something orange, which I try to always carry on state land.

YouthHunter
10-07-2012, 09:03 PM
I have a hard time approaching hunters. I had a bad experience when I was younger, a guy pointed his gun in the ground in my direction and just shot as I went to approach him. I just ran and that was the end of it. Was never so scared in my life. I've been hunting southern ohio when I've seen a guy carrying a assult rifle in public hunting( I was younger) I just hid behind a try hoping he didn't see me) Maybe I should just carry a little whistle with me since I can't whistle loud.

Shooter42
10-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Youthhunter, where were you hunting when you saw this guy with an assault rifle? Because that may have been me coyote hunting with my AR which is perfectly legal in Ohio. I hunt East Fork State Park and the Indian Creek Wildlife area.

YouthHunter
10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Nope not in that area. It was a while back, I was pretty young. It was just an un easy feeling lol

rednecklb69
10-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Most people that have a gun arent out to kill you in the woods. I do always carry my glock 20 when checking out a new set of woods because you never know if your gonna walk in on a weed plot or something stupid like that.

Bushman
10-18-2012, 09:18 PM
With the one day youth hunt saturday and the 3 day early doe next week in WV i often wonder the same thing.