PDA

View Full Version : Trying something new tomorrow/year about scent

so.OH_bowhunter2
10-07-2012, 01:52 AM
I've always been a scent free fanatic (just never fell into the scent blocker gimmik). Always washing my clothes in scent away detergent, showering before every trip in the woods with scent away soap, storing clothes and boots in totes, and keeping HS in business with scent away spray. For the last few years I've been showering with scent away soap, washing my clothes in scent free detergent (arm+hammer), smoking up, and using less scent away spray. Well, I'm gonna change it up this year, just to see the outcome. Now, I'm washing my clothes in plain ole peroxide, taking a shower with the regular green Dial bar soap, and smoking myself and my clothes/boots. I went out and started a pretty decent little campfire, then went in and took a shower (used Dial soap, and didn't dry off too well, wanted to stay damp) By now the fire had dwindled way down, grabbed a couple hand fulls of wet straw and leaves and through it in. Grabbed my hunting clothes piece by piece, held them in the smoke for 20 secs or so and threw them in the tote. All the while I was doing this, I was standing right in the path of the smoke.
After finishing this, I laid a sheet down on the couch (dont want the better half upset because her couch smells like smoke) and am here typing. Let me tell ya, I'm surprised I haven't set the smoke detectors off yet, I stink of smoke......The only thing I plan on doing in the morning is to get dressed and get in the woods. Will keep you posted, the wind tomorrow is the not going to be the greatest for this stand, but we'll see.

MICH
10-07-2012, 10:41 AM
well i cannt handle the smoke smell, will use a scent-lok hand gear and thats itm earth scent and unscented soap, thats it

blackbeard
10-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I understand the smoke part but why green dial soap? Won't you just be covering up a perfumy smell (soap) with smoke creating a smelly concoction?

Lord ToneKing
10-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Funny to see all these tv shows with the guys/girls all dressed in their scentlock garb, ozonics hanging behind them..and they still get busted if the wind shifts or swirls

I am not a believer in that stuff at all. I scout, set my stands, and hunt the wind. If the wind isnt right for a certain stand I wont hunt there

I havent tried the smoke yet but it does have me curious I must say

Big_Holla
10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Sounds like a plan SOB! Not real sure about the soap like Blackbeard said, does it smell like perfume?? My goal, even when smoking up, is to be scent free. I use scent free shampoo and soap, unless I am out of soap then use Ivory soap. That way when I smoke up I am attempting to cover next to no scent with pure smoke.

so.OH_bowhunter2
10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Nah, the green dial is perfume/fragrance free. Im kinda worried about my honey hole this year. I got a big fat goose egg this morning. I took some apples out last week, and zilch, not one has been touched. Im gonna head there again in the morning, if I get another goose egg, gonna have to rethink my setup. It's an awesome funnel (has been for many years), but with the acorns that are all around up there, I might have to set-up in the middle of them. Will keep ya posted.

Big_Holla
10-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Keep in mind with those acorns, anything foreign to the area like apples could put them on alert. Trust your set-up and move to the goodies if you need to!!

YouthHunter
10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I think I'm the only one that doesn't pay attention to the wind. I just spray on my scent killer and go. I've never had a problem getting busted from my scent as far as I know.

buckscout
10-08-2012, 08:31 AM
I think I'm the only one that doesn't pay attention to the wind. I just spray on my scent killer and go. I've never had a problem getting busted from my scent as far as I know.

nope...I am with ya...however i do pay attention to the wind on days where the moon is perfect and the solace tells us that its a good hunting day....outside of that, I smoke my clothes in a plastic tub and go hunting...I have 5 stands on my property and I will usually hunt the one that sits best according to the wind but I would say that 75% of the time I just pick a stand that I feel is "due" for good deer movememnt....for example, one stand is in a bad spot per say but sits right next to tons of honeysuckle so it gets hunted often until the suckle is gone....another stand sits right in the middle of 3 oak trees and I will hunt it till I notice most of the nuts are gone....those 2 stands get hunted to death early and hardly at all late regardless of what the wind is telling me....and I have had wind blowing bucks dead in the face and they still walk around eating acorns and suckle without caring about me and sometimes I smoke cigarettes in the stand or chew and if I am chewing, I am spitting on the ground....deer, including bucks, could care less as long as there is a food supply.