PDA

View Full Version : Sit or Stand?

Huntaholic247
10-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Hey guys and gals,

Just a curious question to those of you who stand hunt. Do you sit or stand when you are bowhunting? I know for older folks sitting would be more comfortable and I sit as well. Just curious to your way of doing it?

strutndoe
10-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm getting comfy and having a seat. When it comes time for a shot, I've shot both standing and sitting.

heelbilly
10-06-2012, 10:40 PM
My tendencies are on AM hunts, when I get in and get settled I will stand for the first hour or so of light. Then I sit and stand as I feel the need. Evening hunts the same, I try to stand during the prime time for movement.

so.OH_bowhunter2
10-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I sit most of the time, when I was using a compound I always stood for about the first 1/2 of daylight, and the last 1/2 or so of daylight. I always shot standing, so with the light not being good at those times I always stood so I wouldn't be caught off guard. Now with a crossbow, I kick back and relax.

BowGuy2
10-06-2012, 11:05 PM
i sit for most of the hunt and when it comes time to prime time i try and have my bow in hand so its that much less of movment

mrbb
10-06-2012, 11:11 PM
well when I bow hunted I used to stand I think more than sit, gave me more shots and faster to get ready if already standing, I always stood at first light and last light
I personally feel standing in a tree you stand out a lot less, than sitting

Now i X bow hunt, due to both injury and do enjoy it too
I find i sit more, as I set up most of my stands to be x bow friendly with shooting rails and now most of my stands have cover built into them , either camo material or burlap, or lots of branches and such to blend me in better
but I have shot deer both sitting and standing with all weapons, from bow to rifles to shotguns muzzleloaders
so it can be done
On all day sits I really try to stand an hr sit an hr and switch it up, seem to keep warmer this way too when its cold out!

Huntaholic247
10-06-2012, 11:32 PM
This is all very good advice. I will start to stand at first light and last light. I have been hunting double man stands so I use to kick back. It was like a tree house haha.

mrbb
10-06-2012, 11:37 PM
nothing wrong with being comfy in a double man stand
can almost sleep in them LOL
I hunt out of a few here and there, I add a lot of camo material , and extra pipe insulation, to make them more user friendly,
and to hide me better, and mostly just sit in them then, but again with an x bow, they make for great shooting rail stands lots of elbow room, or to bring a ton of crap, like a video camera, or sleeping bag, gas grill, just lots of room in them for one person
thats for sure, LOL !!

Huntaholic247
10-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Absolutely mrbb. To be honest.. I have took a small nap in the stand. I have even kicked up my feet on the other seat. I had a camo curtain around it so only my shoulders and head showed. It makes it nice to be comfy.

mrbb
10-07-2012, 12:33 AM
i"ve used buddy stands in late season when its nasty cold with a heater too, lots of room to have one up there with you .
I'm at the point now on my food plots I wish all my stands were big and comfy !

YouthHunter
10-07-2012, 01:03 AM
I always sit until I see a deer coming in and I stand if its something I want to shoot when I get a chance. If not I try and grab the camera. Guy I hunt with usually stands at first light and evening for a while.

ManOfTheFall
10-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Depending on the stand and the circumstance I will do whatever I think is best for my situation. I usually try and stand for closer shots and sit on the longer ones.

gonehunting 45
10-07-2012, 09:16 AM
I do a little of both. During the prime hours I stand. I can shoot setting. I like standing the best its easier to check behind me.

MICH
10-07-2012, 10:31 AM
i try to be standing when i take a shot, but i practice sitting down also just in case

teej89
10-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I get in the stand pretty early since I'm on public land so I have an hour or so to kill before daylight and I sleep and set a vibrate alarm on my phone haha but i sit mostly, I am able to shoot almost anywhere while seated, I'll stand up to stretch the legs. IMO i think deer can somehow spot me better while I'm standing compared to sitting.

Big_Holla
10-09-2012, 07:31 AM
For treestand hunting I will try to stand when it is what I consider prime time, mornings or evenings. Of course when I get tired of standing I will rest a bit. When it comes to the shot I always try to stand up, that way I can bend at the waist to make the shot. Only once was I sitting when I took a shot, my first deer, and the bottom of my bow hit the stand causing the arrow to hit the deer back. Found him though.

In a ground blind I usually am sitting unless getting to my knees is a better shot.