PDA

View Full Version : Big buck chasing a doe last night (Oct 2nd!)

Lord ToneKing
10-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Right before dark I had a big 10 pointer come bolting thru a wide open field. He stopped 23 yds facing away giving me no shot and was just standing there looking back where he ran from. I thought he was spooked but then I saw two does take off thru the field to the right of me. He turned and bolted right past me and I "bahhh'd" like crazy and was at full draw and he wouldnt stop. He came within 15yds and it was wide open! He then chased those two does all around the field with his mouth hangin wide open. They were darting back and forth trying to avoid him. I was in shock being that its so early

Oh well, I had to share. Its been on my mind all day today. Cant think of anything I wouldve done different

radicalxl
10-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Just got done posting the same thing in the cold front thread. I have seen this twice already and I have not hunted more than two hours on Sat. evening. I'm glad someone else posted it first, people on here have a tendancy to argue with me, and I don't know why. LOL. If someone hadn't posted it, I would of opened up the can of worms soon.

Stonegod
10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
people on here have a tendancy to argue with me, and I don't know why. That's because you're one of those trouble making...... mean old men!!LOL..................good to see you posting buddy!!!

Big_Holla
10-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Holy crap that's crazy talk there fella's!! LOL

YouthHunter
10-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I can't argue I have just been seeing squirrels chasing each other around.

Big_Holla
10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I can't argue I have just been seeing squirrels chasing each other around.

It's official..........THE RUT IS ONNNNN!!!

bds9
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
It's official..........THE RUT IS ONNNNN!!!

This made me laugh!! I'm glad someone has a retarded buck near them, wish it were me!! Hope he stays dumb for you and you get a second chance at him!

gonehunting 45
10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Awww here we go. Any right minded hunter knows there is no way this is happing now. July is when the chasing goes on. lol
I must be in the same woods as youthHunter. hopefully this weekend that changes.

jdgraham515
10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
I noticed a few chasin last year early (not this early). Haven't had the chance to make it out this year yet though.

Big_Holla
10-04-2012, 11:09 AM
What do you all mean??? The squirrel rut isn't on then??? Oh yeah, gonehunting45 has the dates right, what was I thinking....got a lil excited with what YouthHunter saw!! LOL

Pretty cool to hear there are some aggressive bucks (and good one's ta boot!) running around!!

gonehunting 45
10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
What do you all mean??? The squirrel rut isn't on then??? Oh yeah, gonehunting45 has the dates right, what was I thinking....got a lil excited with what YouthHunter saw!! LOL

Pretty cool to hear there are some aggressive bucks (and good one's ta boot!) running around!!

Your right BH its nice knowing there are some big boys moving

MQ1
10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
The two bucks i saw was messing with the flirting doe but it hasnt cut loose yet. With the rut coming in earlier i could understand the chasing could start i little sooner, but not this week where im at ,the bigger does i seen last night looked sexy to me!

MQ1
10-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Now if the buck you seen was one of the younger smaller ones, I couldnt wait to see the Big Boy , ever think of that?

SSpengSS
10-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Guys, I feel like I'm crazy. Last night I had a 170" class dogging a doe hard. Then I had a 3-1/2 year old 8-point dogging another doe. This evening I had a 6 pointer checking/dogging 3 different does, and then had one of my nice non-typicals (sparky) come in and scent-check all the does in the field. I was absolutely covered in deer this evening and couldn't get out of my stand until 8:20pm.

If I didn't know it was Oct. 6th, I would swear we are in the chasing/seeking phase. It has been unbelievable. Just for reference, I am in Delaware county and spoke to my buddy who is in Scioto county, and they are seeing the same thing. They had bucks dogging does and multiple bucks fighting aggressively out in the fields tonight. I don't remember anything like this, this early in the season in my 25 years of hunting. It's been exciting to say the least!

I'm not claiming it to be the rut in any way, shape, or form, but I can say that what I have seen so far has been truly remarkable.

mrbb
10-06-2012, 09:41 PM
well all my bigger bucks are ignoring doe's right now or one's I've seen
but all the smaller bucks have been dogging young doe's and making scrapes and peeing all over themselves while making them, had several do this tonight, even lots of grunting in the woods behind me could be heard too!

bigcountry
10-06-2012, 09:44 PM
well dang gone it i need to know...is it time to break out the squirrel estrous or not????im ready for squirrelkabobs

archerymurray
10-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Hunted Noble County yesterday evening, had a 4yr old 9pt enter the field at 6:45.. he immediately postured up and ran the smaller bucks off. He fed for a few minutes then commenced to chasing the does around, more bumping and a few short hops and they were over. Don't get excited this unseasonally colder weather has got the bucks feeling their oats... They can chase and chase all they want but it's the doe that controls the rut. I too was excited yesterday and he had my heart pumping but it will calm down soon as it warms up, I just hope it's freaking cold the first two weeks of Nov.

gonehunting 45
10-07-2012, 11:09 AM
well dang gone it i need to know...is it time to break out the squirrel estrous or not????im ready for squirrelkabobs

Hold on to it. Give it a couple more weeks then fire up the grill

buckscout
10-08-2012, 08:43 AM
well its official, I am not crazy...i have been telling all my friends and family who will listen that things are weird in the woods the last few days....saturday i seen a buck right on the tail of a doe and he was step for step with her in every move she made....he finally stopped and would not follow her to the trail because he spotted me in my stand......then Sunday after church I decided to take a walk and drop off some corn to my feeder and witnessed another buck, this one was a small buck, but he didnt care about anything that was going on except wheree those does were going....he wasnt sniffing them yet, but he was interested for sure....I dont know what all this mess means but I do know that I will not be taking to many days off these next few weeks...my wife is going to love that but I am telling ya folks, something is strange right now.....

I know there are hundreds of theories of young does coming into early estrus and all that jazz, but to see it 2 separate days with speparate bucks, and more than one doe, makes me think something is going on that I cannot explain....

had another strange encounter, buddy of mine shot a doe Friday and her tit sack was full of milk and tits were hanging low, I mean low like a sows tits.. her nipples were all roughed up as well telling me that she has been nursing fawns.....has anyone encountered anythign like this before? been hunting 20 plus years and never seen that.

mrbb
10-08-2012, 10:23 AM
well its official, I am not crazy...i have been telling all my friends and family who will listen that things are weird in the woods the last few days....saturday i seen a buck right on the tail of a doe and he was step for step with her in every move she made....he finally stopped and would not follow her to the trail because he spotted me in my stand......then Sunday after church I decided to take a walk and drop off some corn to my feeder and witnessed another buck, this one was a small buck, but he didnt care about anything that was going on except wheree those does were going....he wasnt sniffing them yet, but he was interested for sure....I dont know what all this mess means but I do know that I will not be taking to many days off these next few weeks...my wife is going to love that but I am telling ya folks, something is strange right now.....

I know there are hundreds of theories of young does coming into early estrus and all that jazz, but to see it 2 separate days with speparate bucks, and more than one doe, makes me think something is going on that I cannot explain....

had another strange encounter, buddy of mine shot a doe Friday and her tit sack was full of milk and tits were hanging low, I mean low like a sows tits.. her nipples were all roughed up as well telling me that she has been nursing fawns.....has anyone encountered anythign like this before? been hunting 20 plus years and never seen that.

I have been watching fawns nurse the past two weeks here, so its not out of the norm here to see fawns feeding this time of yr, all just depends on when they were dropped I thing and when the mother cuts them off
I have seen nursing at late as late dec. too by the way,
, but that was more rare than in Oct. in Oct its very common here!, all the more so early oct.

I have more scrapes and seeing more bucks running does last couple days than I can ever recall in all my yrs hunting this farm, so I think things Might happen sooner this yr than later, even leaves and acorns apple's have all fallen early too
so seems to be a trend
only thing not early so far has been a frost!

bigcountry
10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
well im thinking about trying something crazy then....i think this friday im gonna use JUST A DAB of estrous (but im gonna do it by the farmers sons stand since he ruins my hunts) and see what becomes of it

bds9
10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Well, other than seeing the same 5 pointer 5 times this morning I'm seeing nothing of the sorts. But I think he was just confused on what he wanted to do. I seen two GIANT bucks and another solid shooter saturday evening all come out together as if theyre still bachelored up. They of course didn't show up last night when I got set up on them. But I did see a field full of does and not one buck in sight. I'm in adams, which is right by scioto, and I'm literally 3 miles from the county line. not saying they aren't but I'd have a hard time believing that they are chasing there and completely opposite where I'm at.

blackbeard
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I believe all of you who are saying you are seeing some chasing. Its the dramatic weather change for sure. Six days ago it was 84, that's 26 degrees higher than today's 58 degrees. And 4 out of the first 7 days of September were 90+ degrees, only one month ago. So this cold weather has the bucks getting a little fired up prematurely. If this weather keeps up its going to be an exciting October and November. Keep your fingers crossed.

Lord ToneKing
10-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Ive been out a handfull of times since then and havent seen any action like that since. Im still optimistic about this season...especially since last year sucked

C'mon leaves and temps start a droppin!

Bigcity
10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Hunted last evening (Tues) in Summit County and the woods were busy. Watched a young buck bust through the middle of a group of 5 does, but it looked liked he was just messing with them. He chased one for less than a minute then headed in the other direction. All the acorns I saw last week are starting to disappear. I agree the cooler weather lately has them feeling frisky and have heard reports of fighting and sparing from other hunters in the area. It's starting to get exciting fellas!

saylor33
10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
so if a little bit of chasing is goin on would you guys wait to start using any sents till later or would you start trying to use them now????

BIGHUNTOH
10-11-2012, 12:48 PM
so if a little bit of chasing is goin on would you guys wait to start using any sents till later or would you start trying to use them now???? I would start breaking out the scents, but only buck urine or doe urine. none of the estrous stuff yet. I would try to get the curiosity of deer at this point. Maybe a grunt or bleat every half hour.

saylor33
10-11-2012, 03:55 PM
thanks bighuntoh for the info. ill try it this weekend and let everyone know how it turns out

teej89
10-11-2012, 06:33 PM
figured i'd share these since this is the "stages up to the rut" page basically. Got some pictures of a couple guys trying to beef up their tactics for when the real fighting starts

gonehunting 45
10-11-2012, 06:52 PM
figured i'd share these since this is the "stages up to the rut" page basically. Got some pictures of a couple guys trying to beef up their tactics for when the real fighting starts

that's some great pics. Its slowly approaching.....

Lord ToneKing
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Was out lst night and saw a really nice buck, a doe and 3 fawns. The buck wanted nothing to do with the doe...nothing