PDA

View Full Version : Morning vs afternoon

maygin
10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Hey everyone! I hope you guys have been able to get out into the woods this week and get started!

From your experience, do you have better luck seeing deer during a morning hunt or an afternoon hunt during this time of year?

gonehunting 45
10-03-2012, 02:52 PM
For me both times are real close. The evening might be ahead by a few. I hunt when I can.

heelbilly
10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I concur. My hunting location generally provides some sort of sightings (maybe not in range) during both morning and afternoon hunts. I haven't made it out yet this year, but it's been generally consistent so I can't imagine it will vary much.

maygin
10-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I heard afternoons are errrr before the rut, but this is the first year I'm bow hunting this early. I've been out about three times so far and I've only seen them right at dawn and a little after dark.

Always a slap in the face when you sit in your stand all day and don't see anything and then realize they are all standing by your truck when the sun goes down lol!

maygin
10-03-2012, 03:02 PM
*better before the rut

mrbb
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
well to me it really depends on WHERE and WHAT I am hunting
if I am hunting over crops or food plots, 99 % of my hunts in the are evenings, as from my experience most deer are long out of them by shooting light in the AM
If I was to hunt say a behind a food plot say inbetween a bedding area and a crop/food plot I would say its a better 50/50 mix of deer sightings
In just BIG timber, again its a bout 50/50 of morning over evening sightings, but to me in BIG woods over the yrs I have seen the most deer between about 10 am and 2 pm
and that goes also for once the rut starts up, in most sits no matter where
where i hunt here in PA, due to NO bedding on the property, mornings are almost useless to hunt, so few deer on the place during mornings
so I base where i hunt on many things, not just the time of the hunt, deer are out there 24/7, so you just have to fond where they are at the times you want to hunt them
Good luck

maygin
10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
This is my first year hunting on this land so I don't have their patterns and schedules completely figured out. I hunt in a smaller patch of woods with little pressure that's 75% surrounded by soy bean. Not in the complete boon docks but in a small country town in NE Ohio. Thanks for everyone's comments by the way!

strutndoe
10-03-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm seeing deer morning and evening, but I see the most between 4:30 and sunset. My trail cams show the same activity trends where I'm hunting.

buckeyehuntr
10-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Most properties are usually either bedding areas or feeding areas, some have both but my property is a bedding area for multiple does, i see very few big bucks during the year but during the rut i always see at least one 150" buck. Since my area is predominantly bedding i see very few bucks between dawn and 830ish, but from my daily journal of ten years ive learned that the hours of 9am -2pm are my best times for big buck encounters. I have read and believe that alot of bucks chase all night and lay down for a bit at daybreak and then they cant take it and start roaming the known bedding areas checking for does. I do see some decent afternoon activity but nothing like 9am-2pm. good luck

YouthHunter
10-29-2012, 05:38 PM
I seem to have a little better luck in the mornings. although I'm not a morning person, and hunt evening's a lot more. I agree with buckeye I tend to have most luck in the afternoon. Last doe I shot last year was at 2:30. Only thing I like about morning is being, able to track the deer and everything in the light!

no trespassing
10-29-2012, 08:56 PM
During the chasing and seeking phase I see much more activity in the morning than evenings.

hunter1099
10-29-2012, 09:26 PM
i kill most of my deer in the afternoon but i see deer most mornings and evenings