PDA

View Full Version : shooting fawns

Ga.transplant
10-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I wasnt sure if it was a law in Ohio that you couldnt shoot a deer with spots on it.. I dropped my doe off sat. morning at the cooler and saw that a man had shot two fawns, one with and one without spots. why even waste your money on shooting an animal that isnt much bigger than a dog and is only gonna give you about 10lbs of meat.:banghead: just my 2 cents

bds9
10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
IMO I actually prefer shooting fawns. And to my knowledge it's not illegal to shoot one with spots....But Fawn meat is much more tender and has no "game" taste to it. I think I usually get more than ten pounds, but you're right, you don't get near as much.

Ga.transplant
10-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I guess to each his own.. the check in lady said it was legal.I just assumed because it is illegal in all the states I have hunted in over the years. I agree the taste would be hard to beat but I just couldnt do it personally.

mrbb
10-01-2012, 11:21 AM
well I too target the small one's at my place , I have hunted a lot of places and never seen any rules on not shooting fawns before
thats new to me to be honest
I personally don't hunt for doe's out of my home state unless I have to , or a property owner wants one for meat.

and I will second they are better eating, but thats not why I shoot them
and you do only get about 15 lbs of meat pending size of the deer
but a deer is a deer if your looking at killing one for food
I do get the fact some folks won't shoot a small one due to feelings, but there still deer and legal is legal
so to each his own I agree

MICH
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
not a big fan of shooting a yearling, but i know a few guys that aim for the head for camp food, its gone when they leave camp.....

alpine
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Three things about shooting small deer They do eat good They are a small target and harder to hit but the best reason of all THEY DRAG easy(lol)