PDA

View Full Version : Busted, will the bucks return?

teej89
09-30-2012, 06:57 PM
alright so saturday, I had 2 bucks at 10 yds, both shooters. Anyways I only saw one cuz the brush was so thick and when he cleared the opening a much larger buck behind him somewhere busted me. What happened was they were behind me and when I drew, my bow hanger was in the way which has a pivot arm, so I was using my bow (while at half draw) to push the arm away and it was making metalic sounds, the first buck that I was gonna shoot didn't hear me but the second did, he couldn't have seen my body or head cuz the tree and brush were between me and him but he probably saw my arm and bow coming from the back of the tree. I hunted again there that evening because I left gear there accidently and saw deer. I'm giving the place a rest for the week, but do you think I scared the bucks from the area for good?

Also i'd like to point out that I've never seen these bucks before, not even on the cam this summer.

mrbb
10-01-2012, 01:21 AM
I think you will be fine, deer get spooked all the time for unknown reasons, its why there always on edge
they might be more alert coming in to your set up for a few times, buts to me odds are they been there many times and never had a problem, so one time with a strange sound and what not, will be forgotten soon
I have spooked bucks many times out of same stands in the past and had them come back the next day
typically there is a reason they were there in the first place, and felt safe enough to be there so will come back

I would be extra careful on scent control and quiet next time however
deer do have good memories at times and can be extra alert in some places due to what ever's
so a week, and go back all should be fine in my book!

Big_Holla
10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Yeah it's hard to say one way or the other. The buck that likely spotted or at least heard you will be the one who will be more wary in that spot. If he saw you then you can expect his eyes to be searching that tree the next few times he goes by. The more days that go past where he doesn't see or hear something odd the more likely he will slowly begin to forget. The other buck, who knows, he likely didn't have a clue what happened other than the other deer spooked from something. A couple days and give it a try again. Like mrbb said though, take extra precautions this time.

teej89
10-01-2012, 10:45 AM
thanks guys, I think I'm gonna give it a little more time, maybe hit it up early next week. I've never had an opportunity at a shooter buck the first day and been busted so I was debating how bad i may have screwed up. Thanks for the knowledge, hopefully they gimme a second chance.

gonehunting 45
10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Like said they should be back. The one thing you might want to do is pick a different tree. Set up before that stand location. They know something wasn't right and will be cautious we they come through again. Good luck