PDA

View Full Version : Busted in stand

Bear2123
09-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Did my first actual hunt today and I was busted 2 out of 5 times. I know my camo is lacking, as i had on some junky stuff. I did use scent lock so i feel i did my part scent wise. What's some decent cheap options for all season hunting? Not looking to buy 30 different sets.

Did some searching and saw Predator camo is pretty decent, but how will it hold up to Ohio scenery.

rednecklb69
09-30-2012, 06:43 AM
People have killed deer a million times wearing army fatigues so i would worry less on camo and more on stand setup. If they are picking you out then it must be your movements or your stand isnt placed good. Theres always that one momma doe that seems to watch trees but its rare.

mrbb
09-30-2012, 11:09 AM
well I agree more or less with not worring about camo as much as scent control, and set up
to me that way more important than camo colors or patterns
I go out many times a yr to watch plots and don't wear any camo at all,. and have deer less than 10 ft from me many many times and none notice me, not to mention hopw many times I have been wearing safety orange from head to toe and still had deer walk just about close enough to touch them,
so I personally feel camo is more for the hunters eye's than the deers, think many guys feel more like a hunter wearing it than is really needed

and last, do you wash your clothes in a UV killer??
I am not a huge believer, but its cheap and simply to do so I have been doing so for many many yrs now, and I don't get busted very often, not saying its a fix all, but to me , WHY NOT is how I look at it

so try brushing in your stands better, and keep movements slow
best of luck to you

ibppmd
10-01-2012, 12:18 AM
I agree with redneck and mrbb. Make sure you look for stand locations that break-up your profile. Keep some branches below, above and behind you if using a hang-on stand. If using a climber, keep some trees and/or branches from trees close to the tree you're in immediately behind you to help break-up your silhouette. Wider trees also conceal you better. Best of luck, KB

Big_Holla
10-01-2012, 09:12 AM
First you need to ask yourself if the deer spotted you, were downwind of you or both. If it was downwind or you think that could have been part of the problem then check out the Smoke Feedback thread:

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/showthread.php/17158-Smoke-Feedback

You don't have to buy a thing if you really want to go cheap and build a small smoky bonfire. Throw a few leaves on it or green pine needles and you will get smoke. Swear by it.

As far as your camo goes, I find that a lot of patterns are way too dark for many parts of Ohio. Mossy Oak is one that many of their camo patterns are real dark in color. Unless you match it exactly to the tree you are in that is something to consider. Predator camo is one of the best IMO for Ohio. The big patches of different colors help break up the big human outline better and most often are the colors you will see in many parts of Ohio, especially hardwoods. A lot of the Realtree brand camo is lighter in color too.

gonehunting 45
10-01-2012, 11:54 AM
You didn't give details on how you were busted. I doubt it was your camo or scent but rather it was movement that got you. When you set up make sure your not sky lined. If your hunting a well used trail. Set your stand up on the down side of the tree. That way it helps hide your movement.