PDA

View Full Version : Best Climber?

BuckNastyMedina
09-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Ok, in the market for a new climber. What the lightest, quietest, most comfortable climber available?

YouthHunter
09-29-2012, 12:04 AM
In my book its a Lone Wolf. They are quiet, light fold up and easy to carry! Work real nice if you can't leave your stand anywhere and lugging it all around everytime you go out.

mrbb
09-29-2012, 12:08 AM
well there are a lot of small cmpanys making some light weight climbers so as far as whats the lightest out there???
could be a no name maker for sure
I have owned a few over the yrs, some summits, Loggy Bayou , and now have a lone wolf
I like to say all of them have good parts, and not so good parts
I think the lone wolf I have now is the quietest and lightest of what I have owned, but I hated the seat that came with it
I replaced it with a summit seat, and well when i bought mine they didn't have the XL climber, I wish I had that, as to me in late season when I am dressed heavy its a tight squeeze, and I'm not a huge guy, I'm 200 lbs, and feel its snugge in original form
but since I added the summit seat, its a Tad heavier now, but can sit all day in more comfort

I also took pipe insulation and added it to the sit climber part, then camo tape to all the frame work, as just being gray to me it stuck out
I also added extra quick straps, to help make packing it up to carry much faster and quietier, as well as padded back pack straps in camo, rather than just black, as again, they stood out to me way too much, and with the quick straps i used, I can snug them up so they don't flap about like the originals did once on the tree!
its to me, way better with these things than as it came
I think many stands are this way, they have good this and that but could use improvement in other area's, most you can do yourself pretty easy, but I am sure the companys can step it up if they wanted to, all the more so for what there charging now for some of these stands

if you didn't need one for this season I would strongly suggest waiting till the sportsman shows , as most always allow you to try them out before you buy, or at least sit in them and see how they pack and set up, better than just buying and finding out once you get it!
and well, many great deals on last day of shows too! the Harrisburg PA show has every company under the sun there too!

good luck

mrsohiobuckhunter
09-29-2012, 12:24 AM
my husband and i both use summit vipers and coming from someone who hates lugging a climber( the bane of my existance) i love this "lounge chair" of a climber

ranger175a
09-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I too love the lone wolf. You're not going to find a quieter stand and I've never felt safer in a tree. BUT like Mrbb said the seat isn't the greatest. The straps will dig into you, would have been better if the seat was adjustable.

YouthHunter
09-29-2012, 09:42 PM
I like my sit and climb as well because their is not shooting rail, seems to be nicer during bow season.

ibppmd
10-01-2012, 12:32 AM
I own 2 summit vipers. Very light and totally secure and comfortable...I nap in them all the time. Only complaint is if you hit a rut or stumble it's not totally quiet during transport, but I'm sure i could do a little additional padding or felt tape to address that.

Griz
10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Hands down, Lone Wolf. Its the safest because of the sinch down straps. As soon as you use one in a tree you will understand. Also because of the straps you will not be able to knock down the top if you hit it or bump it when standing or sitting down. Its real quiet in the tree, its quiet carrying in if you put it together wright. And its light. If you are phisically restricted, or over 50, get the sit down climber. The negative is it's the most expensive. You get what you pay for.

gonehunting 45
10-01-2012, 12:05 PM
For me you can't beat a summit. I have the razor. For climbing and comfort you can't beat them. Take your time packing and unpacking just as quite as any other stand. I'm 53 have no problem packing it through the woods.

ajupsman
10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
This is my first year using a climber and I bought a Summit Goliath. So far I love it. Its easy to use and comfortable to sit in. No doubt you can do an all day sit in this one. I chose the Goliath because it's made for bigger people (it's rated up to 350lbs and has a wider seat). I'm 6'1" 225 lbs. and the added room is great. It will allow me to sit comfortably even when I've got on my heavy clothes late in the season. From my research the Summits are a little heavier than some of the other brands but you're only talking about 2-3 lbs so I don't think that's a big deal. Plus Summit's new dead metal technology greatly deadens any noise you make from banging the two pieces together or dropping something on to the platform while on stand.

alex2929
10-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I also got a summit goliath. Super comfortable and light weight. I bought it exactly a year ago and hunted out it quite a bit last year. Only complaints would be it rattles around a little bit when walking with it and the coating on the adjustable strap has not held up very well.

Nis
10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
x3 on the Goliath. I was a much larger fellow when my dad bought me this stand about 5 years ago. Since then I've lost a lot of weight but I love the extra room. In my opinion it's the lay z boy of tree stands. I would probly see a heck of a lot more deer if I didn't pass out in it every time I sit down...wait, so maybe it's not a good choice......