PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice/ critiquing

Scott07/OH
09-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey guys,

Last bowseason was my friend and I's first year filming our hunts. We are a couple of young guys located in N.E Ohio and are looking to improve/progress. We are passionate about our bowhunting and are wanting to capture the essence of what we live for so we can share it with everyone. This is a huge learning process and a whole new element to our bowhunting, so bear with us!

It would mean a lot if any of you would watch our video from this past season and post up some comments, critiquing, or thoughts so we can make this season that much better. The video is free and uploaded to our website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to everyone this weekend!!!

-The Buckeye Bowhunter Team

http://buckeyebowhunter.com/?page_id=9

RackCityOutdoors
09-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Nice video ...like!!!

mrbb
09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
well didn't watch the video
just too long for me to sit and watch, so my suggestion would be to make some shorter one's
not everyone has an hr to sit next to a pc or?? and watch it all

I personally don't watch many hunting video's
due to too many to me are full of crap, lie's exaggerate emotions and scores on deer, and make hunting anymore seem like a commercial

so my suggestions would be keep it simple, , don't blow things out of proportion, be it on a kill or whatever
and keep them shorter for you tube and such online viewing.
and last, I really wish folks would stop pushing products during a hunt, making most hunting shows to me a info commercial
if you want to list what you used at the end thats great, but wish we could just get back to hunting being hunting and not a product sellling show!
and again this is just based on my opinion, and didn't watch the video, so don't know if you do any of the above or not
good luck

hortontoter
09-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I have to disagree Stan. I thought the length of the video was a good thing. It was not just a video showing a kill and pimping the equipment used. I thought the video was the best I've watched in years. It caught the essence of what passionate hunters are all about in my opinion. I would think anyone affiliated with Scott and Josh could learn a lot about what hunting is all about. Great job guys!

And, really Stan stop and smell the roses. It is worth an hour of your time to watch it, if you haven't.

00buck
09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
i agree with hortontoter the length was a good thing but i would have shown atleast one or two more kills and show its not all about buck huting

Big_Holla
09-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I watched the entire video. It's funny how after years of hunting shows where they show at least one (and up to several kills) in a half hour show with commercials we tend to get jaded with that's how it has to be done. The first 15 minutes after no kills happened I was starting to think boy I don't know about this, but as the video continued I realized it really was a documentary of Josh's season full of up's and downs we as regular every day hunters see. Moving a stand to get a better position is something we all have done and the hopes that it works is there for each of us. To see that it didn't happen makes it seem OK for us to experience the same feelings and frustrations. By the time Josh had the buck coming in for the shot I was doing nothing but cheering him on as it unfolded and riveted to the screen with similar excitement I experience when it's that moment of truth. This is something I rarely can say about any other hunting show. The pure emotion without overacting and ridiculous behavior was priceless.

The portion with Scott and his season successes was real good as well. Seemed a little rushed to get it in the video but if you didn't have the footage then I can understand.

Documenting the season to the last day of hunting was great. Sure it would have been nice to see a couple more deer killed but it just goes to show that doesn't always happen and in this case it certainly wasn't for lack of effort. It was a season documentary, not a hunting kill flick and that's what I liked about it. Reminds me a little of Dropped Project Alaska.........Ohio deer hunting style.....

This brought the season story along perfectly and with the excellent out takes of scenery along the way it was very well presented. The only thing I had to do was turn the volume up and down along the way. When music came on it was too loud because I was just listening to the whispers of the hunt. Would say either use more subtitles along the way or tone the music down so the watcher can get a good medium between the two. Other than that I thought it was excellent!

heelbilly
09-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I agree with Chuck. I thought it was a great documentary. The only thing I would say is that on both kills that were filmed, when the camera zoomed in it seemed to focus on things in the foreground as opposed to the deer. For instance on Josh's kill, when the buck ran into the beans and stopped...I had a good view of the deer's silhouette and would have seen it topple but Josh zoomed the camera and it got out of focus in a hurry. That being said, great video...not bad for a couple of amateurs. Better than most of what's on TV nowadays. Good job guys.

mneal
09-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Enjoyed the video.. good to see young guys who are passionate about hunting.. and savvy enough to film and edit their hunts. Great job!

00buck
09-27-2012, 04:57 PM
what kind of camera do you use i am using a old video camera my wife had

Scott07/OH
09-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks a lot for the input guys. Again, this is a huge learning process and we only hope to get better. We only had one camera last year, which is why it is more of Josh's season and quest for T-Rex. Now, we have 3 cameras and added two more members to the team, so expect more harvests in the next dvd, (knock on wood!). Josh and I took a combined 8 deer last year and only the buck harvests came out well. Some does we took weren't on film and the ones we did were too dark to use.

Scott07/OH
09-27-2012, 08:22 PM
what kind of camera do you use i am using a old video camera my wife had

We are using the Canon Vixia HD line of cameras. Very small and they still produce great HD video.

Big_Holla
09-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the input guys. Again, this is a huge learning process and we only hope to get better. We only had one camera last year, which is why it is more of Josh's season and quest for T-Rex. Now, we have 3 cameras and added two more members to the team, so expect more harvests in the next dvd, (knock on wood!). Josh and I took a combined 8 deer last year and only the buck harvests came out well. Some does we took weren't on film and the ones we did were too dark to use.

All in the learning and having fun while you do it!! Great job and good luck to you guys this year.....Keep it real!!! Just like you did in this one.

teej89
09-27-2012, 09:23 PM
excellent video, i watched every second of it, you guys have a pretty awesome talent. For the past month i've been wild watching the outdoor channel and this video beats every video i've seen. You guys have a passion, it shows how the average joe struggles to make a kill, not just choosing the largest 190" buck to harvest.

Critique on the footage: not much man, you're new and I thought it was awesome. I enjoyed that you weren't over killing it with music, the TV shows always play some "hardcore" music when the buck comes in and it really ruins the moment by killing the sense of sound, that gets me amped up. Some things I would say is to show the wind direction every time you do the stand locatioin/travel route/bedding area. you did it once and i thought it added a nice touch. Also when josh shot his buck, I thought it was a good decision to not show the animal falling over/dieing. Animal rights ppl are nuts these days and when they see stuff like that it only fuels them, and that's not something we need, good job on that josh!

You mind if I PM you guys with some questions about filming, i'm in college also and have 3 day weekends this year and I have always wanted to get into it and this just fueled me haha

MICH
09-27-2012, 09:43 PM
GREAT JOB......scott & josh well done

Scott07/OH
09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
You mind if I PM you guys with some questions about filming, i'm in college also and have 3 day weekends this year and I have always wanted to get into it and this just fueled me haha

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated! That's awesome and we'd be glad to help!

bds9
09-27-2012, 09:51 PM
I thought your video was good. Especially for your first year. Just take everyone elses advise and don't fall into the "advertisement" group. That's what makes you unique. I love that it wasn't just a show about every big buck you have a trail camera pic of or every big one you seen throughout the year. I like them big uns as well as the next guy but a good doe hunt and a few blank hunts are always nice to see as well.

Scott07/OH
09-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I thought your video was good. Especially for your first year. Just take everyone elses advise and don't fall into the "advertisement" group. That's what makes you unique. I love that it wasn't just a show about every big buck you have a trail camera pic of or every big one you seen throughout the year. I like them big uns as well as the next guy but a good doe hunt and a few blank hunts are always nice to see as well.

Thanks. We want to show our full season and not just minutes before a big buck walks in. Also, commercials and pushing products the whole time ruins it in our perspective. So, with more cameras, hopefully more harvests and now more knowledge, we are excited to see what happens with the next feature.

jgrund07/oh
09-29-2012, 12:44 AM
hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback and support, it really means a lot. We hunted really hard to put last years video together and plan on doing the same thing this year so stay tuned. Good luck to everybody this season, and for you ohio guys i hope
your sleeping better than I am lol, the morning couldn't come fast enough!

Glad to be Alive
09-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Loved the video. The entire time I was watching it I was having flashbacks to when I was your age. Reliving the same experiences. The video captured the essence of what a young boy / man goes through learning the ropes of hunting. Personally, I am not about the kill shot. Yes, it is great when everything comes together and all your efforts pay off. Your video does a great job of combining the total experience of the season and the awesome shot. Its the total experience that makes the Hunt to me.

The best part of the video for me was when a red squirrel appeared on the screen. Having grown up bow hunting in Michigan, red squirrels were always a part of the hunt. Without fail, a red squirrel would come from across the 40 I was hunting just to give me Haties for what seemed hours. Now being down here in Georgia for almost 30 years I had lost that precious memory of bow hunting. Something as crazy as a hyper red squirrel. Thanks for posting the video. Keep up the good work.

nwohiobowstruck
09-30-2012, 02:44 PM
i just watched ur video and thought it was great. like ppl have been sayin it is not just about the kill and shows what time us bowhunters put into a season and a kill the days on stand with no deer and then when u see a deer and dont have any chance at a shot. i really liked ur other video of gary with his first kill i think u guys r doing a great job and cant wait to c more videos. i liked u on facebook and really like those hats as well so let me know when u get them in would love to have one.

BuckNastyMedina
09-30-2012, 08:23 PM
I liked the video very well put together. Keep them coming.

ibppmd
09-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Great video, guys! I can relate to your experience more than anything I've seen on the Outdoor Channel (and I watch that like 24/7). I bought a camera end of last season and have taken it with me periodically. I hope to put something special on film one day. Thanks for the inspiration and thanks for sharing. KB

jgrund07/oh
10-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey Guys, heres a little sneak peak for the up coming dvd. I know its still early in the season but we've got a ton of awesome footage already so i put a little something together! Check it out, I hope you enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/51499802

Bigcity
10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey young bloods great video! It so reminds me of myself back in the day and I must say I enjoyed watching this over any mainstream media show that does nothing but promote sponsors or the 27 seconds that actually shows hunting footage. Nice aspect to show an entire season, the ups and downs and why real hunters call this sport hunting and not killing. Nicely done

buckeye96
10-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Good video. You did a great job editing.

OHBooner
10-22-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm impressed. My friends and I say every year we are going to start but we never do. We used to film but never did anything with our footage.

Looks like you will put together some good stuff.

Toke2
10-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Very well done.... thought the camera was very good.... and quality editing. Have you taken any classes on editing/production? I majored in telecom ( video/audio ) at YSU, but never went into that line of work. It comes in handy filming my sons football games though - I make some mean highlight videos! I know it takes HOURS and HOURS to edit video.... so I know you guys put a ton of time and effort into this. I agree with others that this is as good as anything on Outdoor Channel. Keep it up.... you represent the Ohio Hunter well!