PDA

View Full Version : opening Day

mrbb
09-24-2012, 07:22 PM
OK with up coming opening day of archery
how many folks are holding out for a buck, as to planing to shoot any deer on opening day

ME, I really don't have much drive this yr, so unles something really big comes by I have no plans to shoot any deer this yr
I am going to focus more on catching trespassers
had my fill last yr and its pay back time on them,
so what all are your plans
fillng the freezer or holding out for MT big ??

buckstalker17
09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Gonna fill the freezer up first then head hunt till after the rut and finish my personal war against a fur bearing animal

00buck
09-24-2012, 07:35 PM
gonna put one in the freezer, but if a good buck comes by im gonna let it fly

Whitetail Freak
09-24-2012, 07:52 PM
1st slickhead comes by opening day shes gonna get a gold tip xt hunter with lumenok and a nap thunderhead rite behind the shoulder, come 1st of nov ill be head hunting n fillin doe tags until then

Bambislastbreath
09-24-2012, 09:25 PM
gotta fill the freezer back, out of venison........first doe gets the Sonic Pro in the broiler room.......then nice buck till after rut, then its any buck for me

gonehunting 45
09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Being the gentleman I am the first does I see I will invite her home for dinner. But then again if a nice buck walks by first he gets the invite

Nis
09-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Depends on the weather, I butcher my own deer and I prefer the weather to be somewhat cool if im gonna be hangin a deer....but If Mr. big walks by, He's not getting a free pass

YouthHunter
09-24-2012, 10:08 PM
I got a buck I'm hoping walks by but if a does hanging around for a little I'll try and take her.

Christa918
09-25-2012, 12:06 AM
5 straight years of killing a doe on opening morning................I am predicting this being the 6th year. I am a meat hunter first!!!

ManOfTheFall
09-25-2012, 05:48 AM
If one of my hit-listers walks by I won't hesitate to nail him. But, I suspect I will be taking out a nice doe on opening day like I usually do.

hortontoter
09-25-2012, 09:12 AM
I normally pass on does. But, my stepson is coming up for the weekend and his family likes venison. So if a nice doe or one of my target bucks gives me the right shot I'll be trying to put one in his freezer.

mneal
09-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I have been able to count on my oldest two sons for taking does until this year. One is away at college and the other will not have much time to hunt this year. We have a couple of families that appreciate a venison donation every year so I plan to shoot a couple of mature does. It is good practice, good experience, and I have too many on my property. I ususally reserve doe killing for the weekends though as it can be cause for some late nights during the work week.

jsyn
09-25-2012, 10:35 AM
I PLAN ON SHOOTING THE FIRST SLICK HEAD THAT STROLLS ALONG.. UNLESS A NICE BUCK SHOWS UP

Newbowhunter32
09-25-2012, 03:01 PM
I have been debating this question in my head all week. One of the stands I plan to hunt opening weekend has several nice bucks in the area, but I would really like to put some meat in the freezer. How much damage do you guys think it does to a stand as far as hunting educated bucks if you kill a doe or two in that spot?

Just 1 More
09-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Being the gentleman I am the first does I see I will invite her home for dinner. But then again if a nice buck walks by first he gets the invite

Ditto.. same here

strutndoe
09-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Be nice to get 1 of each on opening day! However, if 1 of the 3 bucks I'm waiting for show up, I'll take him but if a doe shows up first, I'm filling the freezer. My arrows are gonna fly this year. Waiting and passing on does has almost burned me the last 2 seasons.

Genesis 9:3
09-25-2012, 09:39 PM
I take pride in feeding my family and my friends! First come, first served...

CityBoyzOutdoors
09-26-2012, 10:06 PM
I have been debating this question in my head all week. One of the stands I plan to hunt opening weekend has several nice bucks in the area, but I would really like to put some meat in the freezer. How much damage do you guys think it does to a stand as far as hunting educated bucks if you kill a doe or two in that spot?

As long as you dont bump them, they dont smell you, they dont see you, you should be good. Got to kill the does to get the buck to doe ratio so the big boys get up in daylight hours!

Scott07/OH
09-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Shooting does until the rut comes!

El Jefe
09-27-2012, 02:43 PM
I want to get meat in the freezer. I'm hunting a population control program through October that requires you to take a doe before you can take a buck. My trips down to the Wayne will be more concentrated on horns, although I still prefer to get meat in the freezer.

00buck
09-27-2012, 05:01 PM
I want to get meat in the freezer. I'm hunting a population control program through October that requires you to take a doe before you can take a buck. My trips down to the Wayne will be more concentrated on horns, although I still prefer to get meat in the freezer.

how do you get into a program like that

blackbeard
09-28-2012, 06:17 PM
First doe within range is getting an arrow in the lungs hopefully, or first shooter buck. No button bucks or small bucks for me.