PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Feedback

MQ1
09-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Ok once and for all i would like to hear real experience on smoking up to the guys here that do it, What have you seen different before you smoked up to now that you do , or have done, Do the deer act any different? Have you done this and hunted on the ground , and had them down wind. What are some of the reactions you have seen? I would realy like to know.

RackCityOutdoors
09-24-2012, 01:55 AM
I never hit the woods without smoking.This is my 3rd year doing so, and it has never failed me yet.. (from what i know) .Killed my buck from last year and he came in to 17 steps from my stand and was directly down wind ...i was a skeptic at first ...but now its part of my hunting religon....good luck ...

Big_Holla
09-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Uhhh....yeah.....well if you are hunting bordering properties to where I hunt....smoke doesn't work worth diddly.....actually women's perfume works best!!

On a serious note, I have been using smoke for 3 previous seasons now. The first year I was very skeptical and took all my Scent Blocker and Scentlok stuff and put it away in a tote and only smoked some old camo I had. By the end of that season I had all of my carbon clothing smoked. I had encounter after encounter with deer downwind of me and if they smelled anything they seemed to become more curious and soon just disinterested in worrying about it. The first encounter that convinced me that first year was when I went in to hunt near a bedding area there in Ohio. I sat on the ground and got up next to a deadfall. Soon a doe and two fawns came up the hill exactly where I had just walked 1/2 hour before and soon they were directly downwind of me at less than 10 yards. The doe kept sniffing the air and could clearly smell something. She snorted a couple of times, not the loud alarming sound though as her fawns continued feeding and walking slowly. Soon she and her fawns slowly fed up in front of me and bedded about 40 yards away. I just sat there dumbfounded.

Last year, my biggest buck ever came in from behind me....directly downwind. First time I spotted him he was at less than 15 yards away. I was up in a treestand that put me only about 10 ft. higher than him due to the ridge he was on. Had no clue I was there as he came around for the shot.

packerfan1094
09-24-2012, 09:23 AM
I have found deer spook on camels but come right in Marlboro lites

Curran
09-24-2012, 09:49 AM
I was a skeptic for a few years before I finally decided to give it a shot. My routine is similar to a lot of bowhunters, in that my clothes, undergarments, packs, harness, etc. are washed regularly in scent free detergent. They're all kept inside of plastic totes. Boot are as well. Everything I take into the woods I try to be as diligent as possible not to contaminate with household smells (pets, anything fragrant, garage odors like gas, etc). I shower before every hunt and try to use scent free soaps & deodorants throughout most of the bowhunting season even when I'm not hunting so that residual odors from other soaps aren't present.

I don't wear any hunting clothes while I drive to the places I hunt. Everything remains sealed in their containers until I get to the spot I'm hunting. Then I change clothes, outside, no matter if it's 70 degrees, or 0 degrees, 4:00 AM in the morning or 2:00 PM in the afternoon. my hunting clothes don't see the inside of my truck (even though I wipe it down with scent free wipes, and wash my seat covers in scent free detergent). As I'm getting ready I grab a handful of oak chips, toss them in the smoker, and fire it up with a torch. It's ready to go in minutes and I smoke myself, my layers as they're getting put on, and my gear. Put out the smoker, and hunt.

It's just a part of my routine that I allow time for, just like a lot of folks spray down. I sparyed down for years too, and was skeptical about using a smoker, but I can tell you first hand that it flat out works. I've had deer that ended up down wind of me, smelled the smoke, then just relaxed and went about their business. This has happened enough times in the field that I'll have a tough time about taking this out of my routine. You're never, ever, ever going to completely fool a deer's nose unless the wind is in your favor. That's it, but the smoke smell kills odor causing bacteria, prevents new odors from forming, and masks the human scent that you can never, ever, ever completely eliminate. No matter how often you try to hunt the perfect wind, there will be times when it changes direction, swirls, or shifts from what the forecast said. I always try to put every variable I can in my favor, and this is just another one of those things that can help make a difference.

Couple pics on how I smoke up...

On of my storage totes has a hole cut in the side the same size as the smoker nozzle. After I'm done smoking it up, I cover the hole with a piece of duct tape.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z8/Bux-n-Dux/2012/IMG_0706.jpg

I keep the lid closed, put the tote in the back of the truck, and head out to hunt. On some of the close spots near home, there will still be smoke in the tote when I arrive at the farm.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z8/Bux-n-Dux/2012/IMG_0707.jpg

This was smoking up a ground blind to put out and take my kids hunting last late season.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z8/Bux-n-Dux/2012/IMG_0705.jpg

I'll hang up my clothes, gear, and anything going into the woods. Then just let the smoker do it's thing.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z8/Bux-n-Dux/2012/IMG_0704.jpg

Big_Holla
09-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I have found deer spook on camels but come right in Marlboro lites

Do a little research packerfan1094 and you will see the smoke WE are talking about really is no joke! Welcome BTW!!

Big_Holla
09-24-2012, 11:35 AM
As far as my regiment goes it's very similar to Curran's. The only thing I would like to add is I have a few towels and wash cloths that I wash in scent free detergent just like my hunting clothes and then I smoke them up just as well. When I get out of the shower that's what I wipe down with. On hunts where I have been short on time and didn't have time to fire up the smoker I take one of those smoked up wash cloths and wipe my face, hair, hands, arms, etc. down before getting dressed.

MQ1
09-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I really appreciate the time you guys took to explain it and your experience . This really fascinates me , It really goes against how i have approached the entire SCENT FREE for years. I was washing clothes to get them scent free before scent free crap was on the market. I used Arm & Hammer soda and no scent deodorant , as well as a no scent bar soap which wasnt always easy to find. I tell ya i may cut a hole in the box and step out a little bit from it..... I think out of the box when hunting alot of the time , which has paid off . I tell ya i think i may try this , i will have to test it on eye level with the deer , I watched the videos in a tree stand Not sold on it watching those , thats why we climb mainly anyway is to get our Stink off the ground. Watching tree stand hunts i cant feel the down currents blowing on my neck soo. That is why i wanted to ask here , i knew a few had used it and spoke of it a while back they were going to try it. So its been kinda BURNING ha in the back of my mind since .. AGAIN thanks for taking the time to post your experience .
BIG-HOLLER THANKS FOR YOUR EXTRA TIP! I WILL LOOK INTO "JEAN NATE" I SORTA LIKE THE LEMONY SMELL FROM THAT ONE , RECKON IT WILL WERK? I am torn tween the two options HA!

tilelayer1
09-24-2012, 08:22 PM
I will have to say this is a new one on me,sounds like it may work.Just an old story here of a guy I know that insists that smoking a cigar while hunting has brought interested deer in very close to see what that strange smell is.I can believe it in some cases????

00buck
09-24-2012, 08:38 PM
wow and at 30 dollars fro that smoker i think i will try it do you think apple chips would work or walnut

MQ1
09-24-2012, 09:11 PM
wow and at 30 dollars fro that smoker i think i will try it do you think apple chips would work or walnutAll it says on the video hardwood chips , So i dont know if it is hickory , oak apple or walnut, I figured i would lean to hickory , Maybe one of the guys could lets us know what they use.

MICH
09-24-2012, 09:30 PM
B.H. do you use this in mi.??? i don't think i can pull this off and stop using earth scent........ do you guys wash with unscented soap then smoke? your self just before you walk out???

Big_Holla
09-25-2012, 08:25 AM
All it says on the video hardwood chips , So i dont know if it is hickory , oak apple or walnut, I figured i would lean to hickory , Maybe one of the guys could lets us know what they use.

I use hickory for the main batch. What I do is add the hickory, use a propane torch to get it going and let it burn for a moment. I then snuff out the flames with a handfull of pine needles and the occasional pine cone. Some guys just use hickory, some use cherry, etc. and I think it doesn't really matter. The pine needles seem to give it a much thicker smoke and really seems to penetrate the clothes better.

B.H. do you use this in mi.??? i don't think i can pull this off and stop using earth scent........ do you guys wash with unscented soap then smoke? your self just before you walk out???

Yep, been using it in Michigan for 3 past seasons and have yet to spook a deer that was downwind. We hunt often up in Tuscola County and the pressure is high. Many times was I busted wearing carbon clothing and all kinds of spray. Perfect example last year my daughter and I were in a buddy stand, had I believe 9 deer come straight in completely downwind for about 100 yards, enter the field and out in front of us at 15 yards. Shot a doe last year, both my son and I in a pop-up blind (non carbon) doe feeds for a while behind us, completely downwind and not a clue, walks around the blind and out in front.

I wash with unscented soap, head to toe, and dry off with a well smoked towel. The towels and washcloths are the first that get washed in unscented soap and then dried in the dryer with an unscented dryer sheet. I do that to prep both the washer and dryer for my hunting clothes. Then they all get smoked up. Ideally you should smoke yourself again before you go out with new fresh smoke. Hair, hands, boots, etc.. If not then the towels usually are good enough if right out of the shower, or if you don't have time use one to wipe your head, hands, etc. down before you go.

Curran
09-25-2012, 09:51 AM
All it says on the video hardwood chips , So i dont know if it is hickory , oak apple or walnut, I figured i would lean to hickory , Maybe one of the guys could lets us know what they use.

Stop in at Meijer or Wal-Mart and go to the lawn & garden section. Most of the grilling stuff is on sale right now. I just picked up a few bags of Oak chips this week pretty cheap. I'll go through 1 - 2 bags per season.

Here's some of the explanation of using hardwood chips... copied & pasted from the scent smoker website (http://www.scentsmoker.com/)

The Scent Smoker uses the most basic tool known to the earliest hunters to mask human scent - smoke. More specifically, hardwood smoke. Smoke is a very common scent in the wild. From a forest fire in the Rocky Mountains, to wood-burning farmstead in the midwest, smoke is omnipresent and does not spook game. It is a naturally occuring fragrance, as common as wood itself.

Hardwood smoke not only has a strong, lingering fragrance, it is full of bacteria killing anti-microbials. More specifically Phenol (commonly known as carbolic acid, the first anti-septic). In fact, there are over 20 phenolic compounds present in hardwood smoke. This is why smoke has been used for hundreds of years to preserve meat. By "smoking" meat, the outer 1/8 inch of the meat's surface is protected from bacterial growth, and is therefore preserved from invading bacteria.

Lignin is the real magic of hardwood smoke. It is the "sticky" substance that causes the smell of smoke to adhere to clothing and skin. The antimicrobial phenolic compounds are present in the lignin, and therefore adhere to garments, skin and equipment, thus killng odor causing bacteria and eliminating game spooking human odor.

To beat prey-species' sense of smell, it is imperative to kill the odor causing bacteria. The phenolic compounds found in wood smoke do this. In addition to killing bacteria, smoke is an over-whelming smell that will effectively cover other non-bacteria related odors, such as common laundry detergents, etc. For best results however, it is best to use common baking soda or other non-scented detergents, soaps, and personal hygene products.

Smoke has been used for centuries in bee handling. Smoke works as a pheromone blocker, and keeps bees from attacking en mase`. It could work in a similar fashion in the hunter/prey relationship, but more research is needed to say for certain.

Regardless of whether it is the anti-bacterial properties, pheromone blocking agents, or simply the over whelming cover scent of smoke that makes it so effective, the fact remains hardwood smoke enables knowledgeable hunters to beat prey species' nose, and that is our main concern!

Curran
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
I think you guys might be able to tell that Chuck & I are pretty big fans of the scent smoker. Lol!!

Big_Holla
09-25-2012, 10:08 AM
I think you guys might be able to tell that Chuck & I are pretty big fans of the scent smoker. Lol!!

Yep, but the buck in my avatar isn't......or should say wasn't!!

Deerhunter
09-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Been smoking my self for 4 years now and I tag out every year.

I have not bought a scentblocker from the stores in so long that I dont even know whats on the market anymore.

I am a bee keeper also so the smoker I had already so it was a easy switch for me.

MICH
09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
where can i buy a smoker???? This is the only place i heard about this

Big_Holla
09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
where can i buy a smoker???? This is the only place i heard about this

www.scentsmoker.com

diamondman
09-26-2012, 10:38 AM
been doing it for a few years now .people look at me funny when i tell them about it. but it works for me

Stonegod
09-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Does a bee smoker work just as well as the ones that are marketed for scent control?

Deerhunter
09-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Its the same thing they just named it that to mark up the price.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Bee+Smoker

they have pricier ones but the cheap ones do the same thing maybe the material on the pump might crack faster but no difference if you don't leave it out in the weather

Stonegod
09-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks deerhunter!!

MJH
09-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I have read all of these "smoke" post and you guys are the ones blowing smoke!! Ok im just giving you guys crap so dont jump on me too hard! I had to give you guys some hell! It sure goes against conventional wisdom! Im amazed at all of this and would be willing to try it but for one thing! My allergies and smoke dont get along at all. If i smoked my clothes and sat on stand for a hunt, I wouldnt be able to breath for a week!!

Guys take care and good luck this year! Be safe!
MJH

MICH
09-26-2012, 08:18 PM
i cann't believe i'm looking at a 10 in. stainless steel bee smoker for 16.95 on e-bay..........OK, just before you go out you smoke your boots, face & hands???? just like spraying down??????

MICH
09-26-2012, 08:20 PM
i should say i understand to smoke your cloths before hand.....

Big_Holla
09-26-2012, 10:02 PM
i cann't believe i'm looking at a 10 in. stainless steel bee smoker for 16.95 on e-bay..........OK, just before you go out you smoke your boots, face & hands???? just like spraying down??????

i should say i understand to smoke your cloths before hand.....

Both you can and should do. If you just start out with clean clothing you are wearing, the smoke will get on the clothing but not really INTO the clothing if you understand what I am saying. It's always best to smoke your clothing first to get it full of the smoke smell. Then when you are hunting if you can add additional fresh smoke to your clothing as you are wearing it and take time to let it go over your hands, hair (without burning yourself!! LOL), back pack, release, bow, boots, etc..

Griz
09-27-2012, 08:04 AM
I hunted with an outfitter in Illinios in 06. The first thing all the guides did in the morning before we left camp was to start a fire with dry leaves. And they wanted everyone to stand in the smoke with all your gear. They called it smoking up. Some guys would do it and some guys would say I didn't spend all this money on scent control to smoke it up and would not do it. I was a suspect to it but like the romans when in roman do as the romains. I couldn't say whether it work or not. But this smoke can has my interest. I think I will give it a try. I just ordered it on line. This whole thread has been very informing. This is why I'm a member. Thanks guys!

MICH
09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
big h. and the rest of you guys, thanks for the helpful info!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired2hunt
09-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Nope - not for me! I do not use any type of commericial scent blocking item. I take debris, leaves, and twigs from the area I hunt and soak them in water/alcohol for at least 2 weeks. Strain and put in a sprayer and apply to all my clothing. Learned this from a tip on another site. I have had deer within 5 yards of me on the ground not knowing I was there.

Stonegod
09-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Nope - not for me! I do not use any type of commericial scent blocking item. I take debris, leaves, and twigs from the area I hunt and soak them in water/alcohol for at least 2 weeks. Strain and put in a sprayer and apply to all my clothing. Learned this from a tip on another site. I have had deer within 5 yards of me on the ground not knowing I was there.

So what's the ratio of water/alcohol and debris?

buckscout
09-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I have to say as a old timer who believes in just heading to the woods and hunting....try not to worry about anything other than wind and I've got the mounts to prove my theory....but smoking your clothes truly works.....I could write a 3 page report on how well it's worked for me but just trust me and the hundreds of others who it has worked for..smoking is the new scent free idea and it's cheap....anyone thst pays top dollar for hunting clothes needs to send me their money because your truly throwing it away...all you need is a bee smoker and a tote like the fella on the first page....smoke your clothes before and after each hunt and you'll be able to wear your Abercrombie's hunting.