PDA

View Full Version : Need Help And Advice!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
09-21-2012, 02:06 AM
I am almost completely satisfied with my new bow. There is one problem that I can't figure out though. Maybe someone can help me out. I have three pins set at 20, 30, and 40 yards. At 20 yards I shoot 4 arrows and they are all in the black. At 30 yards I shoot the same 4 arrows and 2 are good in the black and one shoots just over the black and the other one shoots just under the black. At 40 yards they are all in the black again. I thought it was a fluke so I did this again 4 times. All 4 times the same thing happened. The 2 that I shoot off at 30 aren't the same arrows everytime either and it's not like the first 2 or last two . It's always random. I had a buddy with me and he watched me diligently and I really tried at 30 extra hard after that happened to get them in the black. To no avail. Two would always be either above or below it. Any guesses at what might be going on here?

Big_Holla
09-21-2012, 09:37 AM
30 yards is always my nemesis as well at times for the same reasons. If you have numbered your arrows or have a way to keep track of each one and if there is no consistent one that's doing it then it's hard to pinpoint the problem. I often wondered if I was torquing the bow some or jamming on the trigger but other than that I haven't figured it out. About the only thing that helped this year was cranking my bow up another 1/2 half turn and suddenly I was grouping great out to 40 yards. Not sure if maybe that 30 yards was at a point where the arrow was still bending in some way or what but I seemed to have solved it for at least this season. Watch the next time I shoot though......LOL

mrbb
09-21-2012, 10:50 AM
I would suggest to video yourself shooting, nothing like slow motion to find small flaws
but if its not the same arrow every time, to me its the shooters, as if your and the arrows are shooting well at 20 and 40, it doesn't sound like equipment
might sound funny, but if you have 3 different color pin's, you could try switching the colors, some times the eye's don't work as well with some colors, no matter how well we think we see them, I would try swaping the 20 and 30 yard pins and see if that helps
just remember that many sights these days have different sized pins, meaning some pins on same sights can be .10 , .16, .20..30,.35 and so on, so they will cover more of a target based on size, which can also lead to shooting errors and such, but just the size of your aiming point
but there my suggestions, easy enough to try them I think??
good luck
let us know if you figure it out too!

bds9
09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a bow problem to me. Have you paper tuned your bow? And if so I'd check to make sure nothing has moved accidentally. The fact is you repeated the problem 4 times and with different arrows hitting different each time. In my mind that should rule out the arrows and your technique. Only thing left is the bow. I'd bet money it needs paper tuned. I like to mark everything (rest, sights, peep and limbs)with a sharpie or paint stick afterwards so that if something does move accidentally you can spot it right away.
Also I've seen bow dealers "tune" the bow at the shop with a laser, in my experience that's not always the best method. Each bow is different and shoots different so just because everything is perfectly in line doesn't mean your bow is tuned. Oh, and check to make sure your fletching isn't hitting your rest or anything as it goes by your riser.

ManOfTheFall
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Well guys! That is all great advice and I will definitely be trying probably all of those suggestions to get this baby shooting just right. I will be shooting again on Saturday, Monday, and Thursday. I will definitely let you all know how it goes.

so.OH_bowhunter2
09-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Still cant rule out arrow problems. Your spline, or FOC (cant remember the magic number, been too long since I shot compounds)could be outta whack just a lil. The FOC is the center point of your arrow including the head, I think perfect was around 12 or 13" from the tip back, not sure though. At 20 yards you're not noticing it as much because the arrow hasnt had time to deflect. At 30, your arrow may have had just enough time to tweak a lil, and then at 40 it flattens back out. I'm not really sure, just adding another suggestion. But you may try to shoot at half yardages to see whats happening, 25,35,45 or 15,25,35.

mwsports24
09-22-2012, 07:59 AM
im with so. oh. samething happen to me last year....except my problem was at 40...changed arrows...it was money after

blackbeard
09-22-2012, 08:54 AM
bow problem IMO, paper tune it.

ManOfTheFall
09-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Well, I only got to shoot my compound a few times on Saturday. I was working on sighting in the crossbow my sons will be using this fall. It took me nearly an hour and a half to get that thing straightened out. But it is dead on now. My oldest son just got out of the army and back from Afghanistan and he is looking forward to getting his first deer this year. My other son is a seasoned hunter and has quite a few deer under his belt already. My daughter will alos probably be using the crossbow as she usually hunts at least a couple times a year. The times I did get to shoot the compound I was good from 20 again. Then I only took 3 shots from 30 but they were all good. Then a huge rain and wind storm rolled in and that ended my shooting. Hopefully Monday and Thursday will tell the tale. I will let you all know how it goes.

ManOfTheFall
09-25-2012, 03:01 AM
I shot again on Monday. My shooting problem is solved!!!!! After contemplating how to fix this problem I first tried to shoot. It must have been my form because everything was shooting sweet on Monday.