PDA

View Full Version : How Good Is Good Enough

hortontoter
09-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Was out doing a little target shooting today. The eyes don't see as well as they used to and the hand isn't as steady as it was in years past. So my accuracy has started falling off over the last couple of years. I was shooting with broadheads today from a sitting position with my crossbow on a rest. I know I should be shooting 50 cent sized groups at twenty yards, but I just couldnt make it happen. Most of my three shot groups were around 2-1/2". Not real happy with the results. I'm shooting the same exact set up I've shot for over five years including the same arrow that has killed my last nine deer. Would you be confident shooting this size groups with broadheads at this range? Just curious what others think.

mrbb
09-19-2012, 08:32 PM
well yes and NO
yes a 2.5 inch group will for sure kill a deer, just think many guys shot much bigger groups at say 30-40-50-60 yrds and kill deer with them no problems(and not starting a distance war either)
but at 20 yards with a scoped X box, that you KNOW can do better(as in the past it shot better) I would TRY to see if I could improve on it, IF I really wanted too, or just doubl;e check to make sure all is well with the gear end of things!
I know you limit your shots so as is!, will for sure work for you!
arrows do wear out you know same as all parts on things, could be a string going a little, could be lots of little things
they do sell scopes with more maginfacation than can sure help aging eye's to see a little better at distances, I know my vision isn't what it once was too, and I like good glass on my weapons anymore!
most triggers can be tuned up I would think, one of the reasn some higher end X bow's/gun come with them!
limbs do get old and loose there repeatability, equal power side to side and all sorts of things, there like people, they get old and don't work as well as new!

easy way to tell if its equipment or shooter is go to a few bow shops and well test fire a few now models
not saying you need to buy one, but just to see if its the shooter or gear, shooting indoor help eliminat some things too!
you can also have a different person shot your same set up and see how that goes, if they shoot better than you, then you know its ONLY you and not the gear being the issue!, and can make adjustments from there , like again a new more powerful scope or trigger job or??

me I am normally a nut,on over doing replacing things before really needed! I do a new string on my X bow every yr, for peace of mind, there only like 20 bucks so to me its cheap insurance one didn't stretch over the storage of off season
and when it comes to rifles, I am an accuracy nut of sorts, most of all my hunting rifles shoot sub half inch, MOA
again its not needed, but sure add confidence at times
or maybe its from me being a long range shooter, I like small groups and the challange to get them the farther the more challange!

Bambislastbreath
09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
i would say yes......2 1/2 inch groups are fine and you still have some room to spare. i know the feeling though about wanting better, dont want to take the chance of only wounding something, but i would be ok with 2 1/2. just wondering, do u use a scope or red dot or factory sights?

hortontoter
09-19-2012, 09:58 PM
I checked everything on the crossbow Stan. Everything appears to be in order. The trigger on the Horton is atrocious though. Easy to pull a shot due to the travel and weight of pull. But, I used to shoot a bit better than I have recently. I'm not overly concerned with the groups. But, I'm like you and expect near perfection, which is a tall order. I didn't shoot much better today with unbladed Muzzy tips than I did with the same tips after attaching the blades. So the broadheads were not a big factor. I've noticed my groups with my rimfire rifles aren't what they used to be either. I think it is just part of aging catching up with me. Keeping my shots to twenty yards and under with my crossbow is what I have always done. I guess my fear is what Bambilastbreath touched on, wounding an animal and not recovering it.

I am using a Bushnell 3-9 scope that I've used for 9 years on this crossbow. It holds zero very well. I always shoot on 3X whether hunting or target shooting. I try to simulate my hunting set ups when target shooting. All my stands are set up with some type of rest to steady my crossbow when shooting at a deer.

Big_Holla
09-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I would agree with Bambi on this. The 2 1/2 inch groups are good enough to kill a deer, just make sure you are putting it snug to the crease and let it go. At that distance anything on to the shoulder should penetrate very well and anything back a little will still be well within the boiler room.

Along the lines of this, last year my dad was all excited to bowhunt with my buddy and I. Well he pulled out his bow and found out that it was harder to pull than he remembered. After adjusting the draw weight down he said he was good to go. Well, we saw him shoot and boy did he struggle with drawing and shooting accurately. Felt bad for him because he was the one who taught me and boy was he a great shot. Offered to bring down our crossbow for him to use this year and he graciously accepted. Kind of think of it as an equalizer for him I hope. If I had the money I surely would be buying him one of his own.

mrbb
09-20-2012, 12:02 AM
well I am sure aging is and will get to us all at some point
but I do know that there can be things going on with equipment that the eye cannot see, and limbs are for sure one of them, have to always wonder , or I do, how long they can store energy and memory, as once lopaded thats a LOT of pressure being held on them in my eye's over yrs I HAVE to think they loose some of it, and wonder even more if they do so in an equal manor!

but I again agree your groups are plenty good to make clean kills
something you may or may not like, but mechanical heads that open to bigger size than your muzzys can help add a little extra give on shot placement too
them 2.5 inch Rage heads whould fly fibe from an X bow and at 20 yrds you would have tons of energy for a pass through

not one to say bigger is better, but it cannot hurt either
I know you like your fixed heads, and have trust in them, but it could be something to think about
and yes ALL X bow's to me could sure benefit from better factory triggers
all the mroe so on some of the one's that cost so much money too!, don't really have to be lighter, just less over travel and cleaner breaking
they need like an accu trigger on them , so you can have an extra safety too and still have a good trigger

hortontoter
09-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Chuck, I'm sure your dad could benefit from a crossbow. I feel that anything that can get or keep you in the game is what one should use.

Stan, the limbs are a good point. I shoot quite a bit over the course of a years time. And every time I hunt I have to shoot at the end of the hunt. So the limbs do get a workout. I had new limbs put on 3 years ago. I cock use a cocking device which insures a very consistent centering.

Yes, a 2 1/2" cutting surface can be forgiving and makes my 1" diameter Muzzys look puny. But I am confident with the performance of my Muzzys.

Yes an Accu Trigger would be a great feature. I have one on my Savage .17HMR and use it as pre set from the factory. Very satisfactory for a factory trigger.

Big_Holla
09-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Wondering....is it possible to maybe have a gunsmith modify the trigger pull on a crossbow?? Thought the same on ours that the kids use, that it's a little tough to pull.

mrbb
09-20-2012, 11:33 AM
I would think a GOOD smith could for sure, but WOULD THEY??
liability is a reason so many triggers suck, too many legal suits to scare off a lot of good work that could be done on the cheap too!

I used Muzzy's for YRS, and liked them, but to me over the last several yrs that I used them I just couldn't get them to fly like the older one's
so I have tried several different heads since then,. and am on the rage heads not, but just the crossbow one's , not the big 2.5'
but what I use are 150 grain heads , and fly true and have worked when I do my part

confidence is a good thing to have in your gear

I just gave that as an example as an option if ever wanted
I knew you were a Muzzy man!

hortontoter
09-20-2012, 02:20 PM
You are right on the liabilty aspects.

I shot some more today and fared a little better. Not alot, but better.

I am shooting the older four bladed Muzzys that have the 1" cutting diameter. The newer four bladed tips have a 1 1/8" cutting diameter. I picked up 5 cards of these on eBay about 5 years ago for only $30. I gave my Dad two cards and kept three cards for myself. I still have two full cards unopened and 3 unused heads. I've had to replace the blades a few times but the heads are near indestructible. My crossbow shoots best with the smaller cutting diameter heads. I tried using NAP Thunderheads that had 1 1/4" cutting diameter and they were all over the target. May just be my arrow choice that works this way.

mrbb
09-20-2012, 07:42 PM
just wondering if you ever weighed your heads on a scale
I have over the yrs to check replacement blades and found them to be different than factory weights
not by much
but most heads to me are not all the same weight in a pack, but again talking small amounts
does it matter??

buckstalker17
09-23-2012, 09:45 PM
dick i would say if you are to change anything on your set up maybe try a different pair of socks not the set up on your bow ive notice that some times people start giving to many opinions on what it could be then it can make you start to doubt your shot when the deer steps out .as i took your advice on the bait for pond bass take my advice on this there is nothing wrong with your shooting or your grouping i can promise u nobody hardly ever hits the exact spot they aiming at there are so many variables wind ,angle elevation there can be alot of things that doesnt have to do with your shooting just my 2cents

Stonegod
09-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Like I said when we had our weekly talk......I think it's good enough. I think splitter is getting in your head buddy.LOL bottomline: if Splitter gets within 20yds of you........it's dead!!. Splitters days are numbered!!!

ghunter
09-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Like I said when we had our weekly talk......I think it's good enough. I think splitter is getting in your head buddy.LOL bottomline: if Splitter gets within 20yds of you........it's dead!!. Splitters days are numbered!!!

X2. You will do fine and he will look good on your wall.

hortontoter
09-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I'm sure I strive to hard for perfection, just my nature I guess. But, being so selective on the bucks that I target is like a two edged sword. The thought of acheiving my goal and getting hold of those antlers keeps me awake at night. But, the thought of making a bad shot and losing a deer that I have singled out to pursue haunts me all the time. I know it can happen to all of us, but that doesn't ease my mind.