PDA

View Full Version : Acorns and Beech

tilelayer1
09-18-2012, 08:59 AM
I was wondering how good/bad Ohio's mast crop is doing this year.Where I live acorns are spotty,that is, some areas have some and some areas don't.Normally the white oaks don't seem to do well.Reds are more prolific as well as chestnut oak.I have heard talk on here of black oaks but I'm not familiar with them.There are some pretty good stands of beech,but there dosen't seem to be very many nuts this year.Last year was a very bad year for everything,this year seems to be slightly better.I plan to hunt Wayne S.F. near Athens this year and hope that there is food in the big woods! I'm getting excited...

tilelayer1
09-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Gee thanks for all the feedback,I guess I'll just read instead of talk.It seems like pa hunters are not really liked on here.

00buck
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
in central ohio the mast crop isnt as bad as last year were i hunt we have a bit of acorns but they have been dropping for 2 weeks

jklingenstein
09-19-2012, 02:15 PM
The Wayne County mast crop is very heavy.
Acorns, beach, walnut.

MICH
09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Gee thanks for all the feedback,I guess I'll just read instead of talk.It seems like pa hunters are not really liked on here.

NOT TRUE!!!! MRBB is from PA & he is well liked, people will respond, give them a day or two....

mrbb
09-19-2012, 07:56 PM
well I am from PA, and I honestly don't feel anyone one here is against people from PA or any other non ohio state
I am sure some folks ain't jumping up and down with joy to have non residents hunting "THERE" ! deer wildlife, but thats not just an OHIO thing
being a guy that has hunted in about 15+ states
there is always some hunters that are against NON residents, but I found its a VERY small number of hunters
this site has been full of good folks in my opinion, and evry helpful to about anyone that asks a question here

NOW as for acorns and beech nuts
got out today at my farm in PA, and from say 10 days ago to today, WOW what a huge difference in how many nuts have dropped, sounds like its raining them the whole time I was out and about

we did get like 6 inches of rain the past 36 hrs, so don't know if that loosened them up or not but WOW they are dropping like mad today, and most looked pretty ripe too not all green one's like two weeks ago were falling!

Dan
09-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Very good up in Huron County

tilelayer1
09-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks fellas,I DO appreciate the acorn report and I DO apologize if I may seem ticked off because of the poor feedback to my question.I realize that being an out-of-state hunter I am some-what stomping on foreign ground but we are all brothers in the sport of hunting.I have hunted 5 other states and this is not new to me.I feel that hunting somewhere other than my home state is an adventure.I love an adventure!
I also realize that Ohio is a great state to hunt for deer and it is fairly local to me.I have hunted the finger lakes for the last 3 years but want a new adventure so I finally talked my best bud into it this year.We are both seniors so ...how many more adventures are waiting for me??I'll keep going as long as my knees hold up but I have been in flooring for almost 50 years and my knees aren't good.I have heard that Ohio hunters and people in general are nice decent people.I DO believe this.
I'm just trying to find out a little about where I'm going so I'm not totally in the dark when I get there.I enjoy this forum and hope you all have good luck in this years hunt.Thanks again,Stu

Big_Holla
09-20-2012, 08:50 AM
We were down in SE Ohio last weekend and there were quite a few acorns. Mostly black and red oaks but they were fully developed and a lot of cuttings under most trees. The whites were more hit or miss, some had and some didn't.

mrsohiobuckhunter
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM
where i hunt the red oak acorns are everywhere but the white oak acorns havent been as big of a harvest but its been worse in past years

blackbeard
09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Lots of acorns but they are small, lots of persimmons, no idea on the beach nuts, lots of hickory nuts (if you think deer eat them).

Genesis 9:3
09-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Near Cincinnati, at my parents place the White Oak acorns are still green... I wouldn't expect to see anything dropping from it for at least another week or two. Today I saw plenty hickory nuts on the ground, walnuts are a little light right now (not sure if they are still up there or if it's just a bad year) and I haven't seen as much from the Pin Oak's as I would think.

Personally I think it might just be a little early to be worrying about the Mast crops right now, but it might be different in other parts of the state/states.

MJH
09-23-2012, 07:48 PM
I live in town and have a big oak by the alley on the neighbors. The acorns are so thick in the gravel u cant hardly tell the difference in gravel and nuts. I think its a red though!

Mike