PDA

View Full Version : wounded buck photo

ApparitionRob
09-14-2012, 05:59 AM
What do you guys think this is on the buck's side? I want to think its an existing wound from the previous season, but I cant be 100% sure. If you compare the early pic of this buck, you will see the spot where the wound is still covered in hair, but you can see the discoloration, in the the most recent pic, you can easily see the damage done.

Crossfire
09-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Looks like a wound to me

ApparitionRob
09-14-2012, 06:53 AM
I agree, and am certain its some form of wound, Im just unsure of what, whether its a gunshot wound or someone poaching from this year. A few others said its a infected bug bite, but I just dont see that being the case, but ive been wrong before......

Big_Holla
09-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Boy if the dates were reversed I'd say wound from last season but it definitely looks worse on the more recent date. You can definitely see there is something there though in the earlier picture. Maybe it's an old wound that hadn't healed completely and now the bugs have gotten into it and got it infected again. That would be my theory, wound from last year....got infected again...maybe!!

mrbb
09-14-2012, 11:16 AM
looks like a wound to me too, could be from a car and not a weapon(hunter/poacher deal)
as for the hair?? don't know most wounds get better not worse, so infection?? thats a likely idea to me too!

deerhunter27
09-14-2012, 01:15 PM
looks like a wound but maybe it had its winter coat on last season and doesnt have it on yet this year and the flies are bad maybe they irritated it

ibppmd
09-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Didnt look too bad in June (I've seen these thin hair patches on many deer in different sizes and shapes) but definitely opened within the thin area in July. Looks pretty superficial so would guess some type of infected bite or scape. I can't imagine something that small and superficial will cause him any serious harm. Nice looking buck.

ApparitionRob
09-18-2012, 06:04 AM
thanks for the feedback guys, my theory was an existing wound that reopened as well, with some sort of infection taking place. I just figured i would throw it out there for some extra input! It was just kind of wild seeing the progession of the wound in pictures. Guess thats what makes trail cameras so much fun.

Ga.transplant
09-22-2012, 10:47 AM
looks like someone hit him a little high.. hard to tell though

Retired2hunt
09-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Time to save this buck from a slow death due to infection.

ApparitionRob
10-01-2012, 06:25 AM
got some more pictures of him my last go at the cameras, i only check them once every other month, and he looks a lot better. looks like hair is starting to grow back. once I get the pics transferred on this computer, i'll post them for your thoughts.
thanks for the input guys!

ApparitionRob
10-04-2012, 06:25 AM

Here are a few more recent pics of the wounded buck. They are not as crystal clear as the previous ones, but he seems to be healing over

Big_Holla
10-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Isn't that something....thanks for the updates!