PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Rut Hunting

ohiorut
09-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Ok, so I have 4 days of vacation that I want to take during the rut this year. Any suggestions to which weekend I should take these 4 days. Plan to use them on a Thursday/Friday leading into a weekend and then the following Monday/Tuesday. Was thinking 11/8 - 11/13. Or should I do the weekend before? 11/1 - 11/6.

Based on my experience, I have seen action during both weekends, and have taken both my bucks in that time frame...1st being 11/5, and the 2nd being 11/7.

Thanks guys.

gonehunting 45
09-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I think any of those would be good. I hope I picked right. I have the first full week of Nov. off.
Good luck

Buckstrike138
09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I took Nov 1,2 leading into Nov 3,4 based on predictions that Bucks will be "chasing" during this week.

C-CREEK
09-13-2012, 08:10 PM
I think 11/8-11/13 would be perfect. I've done well in Stark/Carroll counties during these times and was planning on taking off 11/8,9,10,11 this year. I took off last year 11/3-4 and things weren't quite what i expected. Things were better a week later so that's why I'm changing dates this year. Maybe it's just where i hunt but this was my experience. Good luck regardless!

archerymurray
09-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Anytime in Nov is good but if I had to choose I would pick the 2nd simply because you have that slight chance of it being colder.

forestman
09-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Full moon is allways at the begining of the month and that means alot of night movment unless its overcast.I like the second and third week better.Good luck

skeeter
09-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Second week has always been best for me, but the last three seasons the third week has been best.

ohiorut
09-14-2012, 10:19 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Pulling my hair out trying to decide. Keep going through different scenarios in my head. Yes, all of November is good, I just don't want to pick the week of lock down. Yes, many factors...moon phase, seeking/chasing, crops down, weather, etc etc. Well, I originally said 11/8 - 11/13, then went to 11/1 - 11/6...thinking I will go back to the 8th b/c of the full moon being 10/26 and like forestman said, more night movement. Buuuuuuttttttttttt....I know what I have seen in the past during the first weekend of November...sorry guys... indecisive mind here.

deerhunter27
09-14-2012, 12:59 PM
I would take off 11/8 through 11/13

smokin_aces
09-14-2012, 01:20 PM
personally i would go with the first weekend it will put you more in the chase phase which in my opinion is the best phase to be hunting.

Griz
09-14-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm taking the 2nd week, I hope it will be cold! And we have a few cold fronts come threw. Good luck to yah.

Whitetail Freak
09-17-2012, 09:10 AM
i took the 8,9,10 &11 of november off hope i picked right also ill have a total of 11 days in a row to hun daylight to dark hope i can put a bbd during that time

blackbeard
09-17-2012, 10:17 AM
See if this helps you http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/showthread.php/16894-Rut-Predictions .

hortontoter
09-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I feel for you guys trying to pick the right days when time is limited. Makes me appreciate being able to hunt any day of the season I choose to. Now, if I just had the energy I had 30 years ago I'd be quite the hunter.

ohiorut
09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
See if this helps you http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/showthread.php/16894-Rut-Predictions .

Thanks blackbeard! Think either weekend will be good, but liking my chances during the seeking phase so went with the first weekend to take my extended weekend vacation. Will still have plenty of opportunities before and after that long weekend, but just wanted to get myself in the tree for an extended amount of time.

so.OH_bowhunter2
09-17-2012, 03:30 PM
For me personally, I would rather hunt the last week of October.

MICH
09-17-2012, 09:38 PM
For me personally, I would rather hunt the last week of October.

just wondering, why the last week of oct.???? i'm going to try hunt 4or5 day at the end of oct. then nov. 9-14 NEXT YEAR....

BowGuy2
09-18-2012, 01:12 AM
I think ore rut I's better where I hunt then the actuall rut. (my opinion on where I hunt nobody bust a nut over it haha) I seem to see the most deer in the last week of October and into the first few days of November.

whodey1966
09-19-2012, 04:05 PM
I Have been Bow Hunting since the early 90s and the last week of October through the first week of November has always been my best Week!

alpine
09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
I will be coming to the great state of Ohio nov 10 thru nov 18 can't wait

Sent from my Milestone PLUS using Tapatalk 2

buckscout
09-21-2012, 08:37 AM
I Have been Bow Hunting since the early 90s and the last week of October through the first week of November has always been my best Week!

I am going to have to concur with this statement....I have been sticking deer since the early 80's and the last week of October things really start picking up for me and they go into THanksgiving with it winding down about the time my belly is full of turkey and stuffing......

To the fella that started this thread....one main question I have to ask is this...are you hunting public or private land? and if your hunting private land, is anyone else hunting it also? I ask because of this...if your land is hunted by more than just you, then I would take my days off during the week to maximize your 4 days that you can hunt....if you have hunting pressure from outside of your group then I like to hunt the week, it usually is less crowded and the pressure from surrounding land is not as bad......Now if your hunting private land and you pretty much hunt it alone then it dont much matter when you go out, but if I was trying to take advantage of having only 4 days away from work then those 4 days would not include the weekend if there was any type of pressure around me.....if there is, then use the weekend for those last few days and try to grab a buck that has been chased from his area bu other hunters, sometimes getting lucky is not such a bad thing.....but i would not want to count on that, thats why I would hunt tuesday thru friday then use the weekend as a backup.....just my opinion and I am in no way trying to tell another hunter how to use his vacation time....just giving you a theory I use from time to time when I am hunting public land.

blackbeard
09-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Its difficult when you have to select a week to take off and hunt during the rut because the week you pick, even if it is the first week of November for example, might have temperatures in the mid 70's all week or it might rain every day. So the closer to late October you can wait to select the week the better because you can at least look at the long term weather forecasts. It seems to me that every year there is one really good week when everything works together (rut, weather, moon) but you gotta be hunting during that week. It could be the last week of October (used to be good for me but not so much the last few years) or the first three weeks of November. This is why I just take off most of those four weeks!

OHBooner
09-23-2012, 09:20 PM
First, the first of the month isn't always the full moon. And even if it were, "cloud cover" wouldn't have any effect on deer movement. They can still see....

That being said, you might as well flip a coin IMO. I have killed 4 bucks between 130 and 155 between November 8-11 and only one before that (10/31). My favorite seems to be around November 10...but you're right, you risk lockdown which seems to be worse than the October lull.

I'd probably go with the later dates but I don't think you can really go wrong.

ohiorut
09-24-2012, 09:16 AM
To the fella that started this thread....one main question I have to ask is this...are you hunting public or private land? and if your hunting private land, is anyone else hunting it also?

I'll be hunting private land that others hunt and I'm not sure if I'll see them during the week or not. That's why I wanted to extend my weekend, 2 days before and 2 days after a Saturday and Sunday. Hoping I would be the only one in the woods during the week days.

But, now I've decided to go ahead and take the entire week of 11/5 off....so I'm pumped now...9 straight days in the woods!!