PDA

View Full Version : Tagged out?

Crossfire
09-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Has anyone tagged completely out in the state of Ohio? That's 18 deer spread out across all 3 of Ohio's zones. If not how close have you got?

00buck
09-12-2012, 07:47 PM
i am pretty sure the most deer you can shoot is like 6 might want to read the regulations again

Crossfire
09-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Here in Hamilton County (Zone C) we can take 6 deer IF you hunt in the urban zones however you can
take an additional 6 for a total of 12. I personally tagged 10 last year & 7 of my fellow urban hunters
actually filled all 12 tags. If you head to Zone B you can take 4 more deer, and Zone A allows for 2 more
for a total of 18. Since I am considering trying to do this in this upcoming season I spoke with a rep at the Div. of Wildlife who confirmed all of this yesterday

rthensley
09-13-2012, 06:52 AM
I knew the urban zone deer did not cout against your season limit, but I thought you were limited to 6 other deer total. But I'm now not sure that is true. I found this on the Ohio DNR site:

"■ Deer Zone bag limits are separate and do not impact deer hunting in other Deer Zones."

The quote is from this page, and you have to scroll down just below the map of Ohio to see it.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx

Crossfire
09-13-2012, 07:17 AM
It seems that Ohio has given us a rare window of opportunity to have an incredible year.

bucksonly
09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
My question is why would you feel the need to take 18 deer?

Woodsman
09-13-2012, 09:23 AM
I only take what I plan to eat. That is usually 3 deer.

Crossfire
09-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Our family can handle about 4, but last year I was able to bless 6 other families with organic, renewable, sustainable & local venison.
Unfortunately, I had several friends that I was not able to give a deer to. On the positive note from the six I gave away, two are, as of
this season new bow-hunters & cannot wait to take their first deer.
So, to answer the question of why, to share the harvest & to spread the excitement of this wonderful pursuit.

bucksonly
09-13-2012, 10:44 AM
I applaud the fact that you give back, and don’t see an issue with utilizing the urban program along with your regular tags (personally I think 6 is way to many, and glad that they tweaked the regs. at least a little). The city is going to get rid of “X” amount of deer whether you do it or they pay a company, ie Cleveland Metro Parks. But IMO your just a “numbers” guy and want to brag about the number of deer you kill, typical “if it’s brown it’s down” mentality I’m use to here in NE Ohio. So again IMO you don’t have to kill 18 deer to “share the harvest & to spread the excitement of this wonderful pursuit.”

bds9
09-13-2012, 11:56 AM
I applaud the fact that you give back, and don’t see an issue with utilizing the urban program along with your regular tags (personally I think 6 is way to many, and glad that they tweaked the regs. at least a little). The city is going to get rid of “X” amount of deer whether you do it or they pay a company, ie Cleveland Metro Parks. But IMO your just a “numbers” guy and want to brag about the number of deer you kill, typical “if it’s brown it’s down” mentality I’m use to here in NE Ohio. So again IMO you don’t have to kill 18 deer to “share the harvest & to spread the excitement of this wonderful pursuit.”

I'm confused why you think he is bragging? Do you like to hunt deer? I'm sure you as does everyone on this site enjoys hunting! I say if the rules allow it (which I think he has his rules mixed up) then you should kill however many you can legally tag and use. I think its great when people give the meat away. Especially in this economy! As long as he's not wasting them I say have at it! Obviously we have a population problem with the deer so something has to be done! And the great state of Ohio allows us to be the "problem solvers"!!! Bottom line, if you can only use one deer per year then kill one, if you can use 18, same thing! As long as its legal!!

mrbb
09-13-2012, 12:53 PM
well not bragging but I have killed many more than 18 deer in one yr/season many times over the yrs!
I have hunted so many( I use to hunt 3-5 states a yr)
due to I liked just to hunt, bow rifle shotgun muzzleloader, I hunted all seasons, I used to take 2+ months off of work every yr to hunt,
I enjoyed the challenges and had long list of people wanting the meat, none ever went to waste and it was never for bragging rights, I hunting so many cause I enjoyed (and I never had enough meat for the demand either no matter how many I killed)
hunting more , to me, it gave me a chance to learn more about hunting deer and there critters ,
simply by doing more, I learned more!
I always enjoyed the challenge of going some place new and seeing if I could get on deer, and if I managed to kill one well all the better, but was never needed to be concidered a good hunt,
But I didn't, NOT shot a deer if I had tags and made the trip to go try to and wanted that deer! and the shot was there!
hell, last yr I didn't even kill a single deer, don't have the drive to do so, like yrs ago, maybe from killing too many like I did, the challenge just isn't there like it once was for me!(and I am no super hunter by any means)
but I now can kill a deer almost every time I go out now, if I wanted to,
maybe its from yrs of learning and the quality lands I Now have to hunt( I got most of the private lands I have to hunt now due to how much time I invested hunting over the yrs, many land owner allow ONLY me to hunt due to how hard I hunted over the yrs and the willing ness to help them, kill deer off there farms, I made great friends form yrs of being there)
I personally think if a state allows "X" amount of tags, and a guy wants to try to fill them, good for him, he's getting to learn more and hone his skills more
and helping the state meet its goals,win win to me!
as far too many guys/gals/kids really don't hunt anymore, just look at hunting lic's sales(or for sure here in PA,where we are 200,000 + hunting lic sales down, from just a few yrs ago)
and far too many hunters are opening day one two days hunters, and give up! or just poor hunters that don't really care if they get a deer or not! not helping a state meet its goals.
sure there are folks that live for deer season, but there a dying breed, and even worse, far too many of them hunters mostly and ONLY hunt private lands they own or have special permission to hunt!

so, when the state has large amounts of tags to fill, most of the die hard's are not killing very many in public places, where the state needs them killed and why I personally think so many guys complain about too many tags, as they worry about deer on there private honey holes and not the state as a whole !!

and not bashing anyone,
just my 2 cents

bucksonly
09-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Because if it's "legal" that makes it the right thing to do....because states have "always" shown great decision making when it comes to whitetail management...like PA for example.

Maybe I was off base for my "IMO" comments for why I think he wants to do this.

However I will not change my stance that no 1 person should or needs to kill 18 deer per year.This is not because I don't see deer or think the numbers are low now. It's simply the impact I think this type thinking/lodgic will have on the herd 5 years from now, 10 years from now, ect, ect

I guess "hunting" to me means something completely different than the few of you who have responded.

Toke2
09-13-2012, 03:57 PM
I think "hunting" means something different to ALL of us. No reason to knock one for his "passion" and desire to fill freezers... just like I don't knock someone who only hunts for "horns" as the ID BUCKSONLY implies. I am new to hunting, took it up in my late 30's. Always loved being in the woods, but had no hunters in the family. I have two sons, who I am teaching - so for ME? I am one of those guys who does not fret if I don't get a deer ( better believe I'm trying every time out though... doe or buck). For me, it's about being in the woods/camp with friends and like minded folks. Sharing stories of great hunts and near misses... Soon, I hope to have my boys in there with me.... creating memories that will live on after I'm long gone! Absolutely hunting means something different to each of us... that's what is so great about it. So I say to each his own.... so long as he/she stays within the bounds of the law, hunts ethically and most importantly safely.

ghunter
09-13-2012, 04:25 PM
It seems that Ohio has given us a rare window of opportunity to have an incredible year.

It has always been like this. But 90% of people will not or can not hunt all over the state to hit 3 zones.

Woodsman
09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I knew the urban zone deer did not cout against your season limit, but I thought you were limited to 6 other deer total. But I'm now not sure that is true. I found this on the Ohio DNR site:

"■ Deer Zone bag limits are separate and do not impact deer hunting in other Deer Zones."

The quote is from this page, and you have to scroll down just below the map of Ohio to see it.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx

I can honestly say having read the regulations every year for years, I did not know this. If nothing else I learned something from this thread.

Crossfire
09-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I'll try respond to bucksonly with more respect than was shown to me.
The deer density in NE Ohio is radically different than it is in SW Ohio. To try to compare your experience there with mine here is like
comparing apples to Toyota's. I live 7 miles north of downtown Cincinnati & it's not uncommon as I drive my kids to school to see 20+
deer. We are not simply overpopulated but some might say over run. While our urban programs are very productive, we're barely making a
dent in the overall numbers. But at best we're barely treading water. As for what the regulations actually say, and the wording can be
confusing. Simply call the Ohio Division of Wildlife for confirmation like I did. Violating game laws reflects poorly on all of us & I take these laws very seriously.

Woodsman
09-13-2012, 05:55 PM
I did not intend to suggest you were not correct about the rules. In fact it now appears to me you are correct. My point was that I had never noticed that.

And I agree, the wording can be VERY confusing.

Crossfire
09-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Sorry Woodsman, no disrespect intended

bds9
09-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Because if it's "legal" that makes it the right thing to do....because states have "always" shown great decision making when it comes to whitetail management...like PA for example.

Maybe I was off base for my "IMO" comments for why I think he wants to do this.

However I will not change my stance that no 1 person should or needs to kill 18 deer per year.This is not because I don't see deer or think the numbers are low now. It's simply the impact I think this type thinking/lodgic will have on the herd 5 years from now, 10 years from now, ect, ect

I guess "hunting" to me means something completely different than the few of you who have responded.

Hahaha This is funny. You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine and Crossfire is to his. As far as states "always" making the best decisions, I sense your sarcasm and I don't disagree. However, I for one believe that Ohio is one of the few states that actually have some knowledge on what needs done to manage the deer herd. I see it everytime I go out. Bigger, healthier and more populated deer. All I can say is I'm glad you're not the one doing the rule writing. I'd much rather see a needy family get use from an animal than to find it dead in the woods this winter due to lack of food from the heard being too big! And I assume (maybe I'm wrong) the last line was a shot meaning you are far superior to Crossfire or myself and you are a "bucks only" guy. Newsflash, the little one's taste better!!! Don't get me wrong I do enjoy putting my hands on a big ol set of horns, but I sure do enjoy eating backstraps as well!!

deerhunter27
09-14-2012, 12:54 PM
No but i would like to. How do u get into a Urban Deer Unit?

Crossfire
09-14-2012, 01:18 PM
deerhunter27
Unfortunately, it's too late to hunt in the City or County Park system for this season. If you're in
Cincinnati contact either the City of Cincinnati Park District or the Hamilton County Park District & you'll be taken care of for next season. However, the Div of Wildlife has designated much of Ohio's urban
areas as Urban Districts & as long as you have permission to hunt somewhere within those districts
you should be able to take advantage of the 6 additional tags. When in doubt call the Div. of Wildlife directly. I'm not generally a fan of govt. institutions but I have to admit to being continually impressed with our Div. of Wildlife here in Ohio.