PDA

View Full Version : Target Panic

Bushman
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Happens to me every year around this time. Im sure most everyone has an idea what it is or has gone through it at some time. Anyone have any tips on how to avoid or correct the problem?

Dan
09-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I have had some trouble with this in the past. What I do is remove the targets, get about ten yards away for your back stop and shoot. I dont aim, I just let my eyes blur, relax, and concentrate on a smooth release and follow through. Did I mention I relax. I'll do this for a few sessions and introduce a target when I'm ready. Dont rush it relax.

good luck.

teej89
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Great topic, this actually just happened to me yesterday, all summer I was shooting at 40yds and couldn't miss my mark if I tried and now I can't focus at all. Yesterday was worse than today, I felt like someone moved my peep, I was so uncomfortable shooting, today I decided to pull out the 3d target to switch things up from shooting at a dot, and it was better but I'm still not where I was earlier this summer. I'm going to practice that shooting from 10yds thing, I know it's my release that is the issue.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you but I'll let you know what works for me.

nomad_archer
09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I know your not going to want to hear this but. For me I put the bow down for awhile. I still hunted with it but I just quit practicing for awhile. It helped me stop thinking and worrying. Also try to make shooting fun again.

The other thing I did for was change releases. I had some target panic issues when I was shooting indoor league 5 spot. I wanted to continue practicing. So I practiced with a half moon back tension release with the click turned off. That taught me to pull through the shot. When I shot for a score I used my thumb release but shot it like the backtension.

And finally.... if you are focusing on your pin and aiming try looking past your pins once the correct pin is in the neighborhood and look and and focus on the spot you want the arrow to go. Just keep looking there and shoot. The arrow will go there...

MJH
09-10-2012, 05:58 PM
The same as Dan said. Get close or better yet at an archery shop when no one else is around. Draw anchor close eyes and concetrate on nothing more than a smooth release! As Dan said also RELAX! Shooting stiff is bad news! Set the bow down for a few days as Nomad said also. If you can shoot at home leave it close to your range walk by grab it shoot 1 arrow and let it set again. The worse thing you can do is shoot tired! If you are sore or tired DONT shoot! You can pick up some bad habits that way! Just my two cents worth on what I do or atleast try. As matter of fact just got done shooting!

Mike

nomad_archer
09-10-2012, 08:06 PM
MJH - hit the nail on the head. I work from home so I can walk outside when I need a break and shoot 5-10 arrows and then go back to work.

Genesis 9:3
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I work from home so I can walk outside when I need a break and shoot 5-10 arrows and then go back to work.

"Don't be jealous... don't be jealous... "

Hmm, nope... it's not working...

Bushman
09-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys for the tips. Its a frustrating thing to go through even after years of shooting. I'm sure they will help!

nomad_archer
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
"Don't be jealous... don't be jealous... "

Hmm, nope... it's not working...

haha working from home.... sometimes it is great.... sometimes it would be nice to be working in an office.

Griz
09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Happens to me every year around this time. Im sure most everyone has an idea what it is or has gone through it at some time. Anyone have any tips on how to avoid or correct the problem?
I had target panic for over 2 yrs because I refused to give in and say I had a problem. It got so bad when I shot league there were times when my arrow hit 2 targets over. Yah that bad. So I got some help from my pro shop. The first thing he made me do was ajust my release from the tip of my finger to the 2nd joint in. I know it sounds weired. Then he put me infront of a foam wall ten yds out(no target). He told me to draw and put my finger joint on the release than push with my bow arm and pull with my release arm, he said not to pull the trigger. Also pull you shoulder blades back as you do this. My eyes were also closed. The bow went off with out me aticipating it. I did this five times and rested. He than put a target in front of me and I did the same thing five more times. The idea is to get the bow to go off with constant presure from your arms and back. When I started I couldn't get the pin on the target no matter what I did. If it hit the edge of the bulls eye I would punch the trigger. After a few days of doing this at home I was much better. It still creaps in every once and while but I go threw the drill and its fixed. This can happen to anyone. I've been shooting bows since 1969 and did not experience target panic until a few years ago. I believe me shooting video league starting my problem. I know this reply is long but I hope it helps you.

mrsohiobuckhunter
09-12-2012, 11:02 AM
for me i just walk away from the bow for a minute. usually this happens to me closer to opening day because i get anxious and over think every shot i take so i end up all over the place. i tend not to want to practice really close to the opener because i know what will happen and it kills my confidence so i leave it for a few days before opening day

BowGuy2
09-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Iv never really ha target panic but I did talk to a Amish guy who likes to shoot a little 3D or fun and was talking to him for a good 2 hrs one day about shooting and he said target panic years ago and he was telling me what he did was he went down to his basement and turned out all of his lights and from about 5 yards he just shot I've and over and over again then he moved back to about 10 yards and did the same thing he said he did this for a week straight and after that he said his panic was gone. This is just what he told me I don't no if it works of not I would do it outside in the dark not in the house haha worth a try tho maybe ? Good luck

radicalxl
09-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Are you sure it is target panic? Last year after 40+ years of bowhunting I was having trouble. Never did before. At the summer campout it was suggested to me by several members that it was target panic. I took their advice and worked on it, but couldn't straightened it out. Turns out that my eyes had gotten to the point were my depth preception was off. I simply put my reading glasses on for a few shots and them took them back off. For some reason it worked like a charm. Started shooting again like I normally did. I've needed glasses to read for about 10 years but it never effected anything else about my eyesight untill then, and it still hasn't effected anything else at this point. Just another angle to look at.

teej89
09-13-2012, 08:01 PM
so last sunday was shooting like a pure amateur, put down the bow till today, shot 20 arrows early at 5 yds with my eyes closed and focused on my release and keeping my bow arm steady and not dropping it. After that I put the bow away and came back 3 hours late, back to a solid group again. Good post guys!