PDA

View Full Version : Id like to hear some good stories

backwoodshick28
09-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Well its been quite some time since i have been able to enjoy a little time on here due to my crazy work schedule. Though I do have some good news from the last couple months...My wife and I are going to be parents around Feb 21st. This will be my first child and of course I'm rooting for a boy and the wife is hoping for a girl. I am definitely looking forward to showing our child the outdoors someday the same i was when i was little so I would like to hear some good hunting stories anyone one has to share when they went hunting with their children.

ghunter
09-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Congrats. There is nothing like having a kid. Mine turned 3 this past July and she might as well be a boy. She's always wanting to go check the cuddeback (yes she calls it that) and feed the deer behind our house. She plays in the dirt looking for bugs every time we go out the door. I have a few years yet before I take her hunting but I'm getting her started. Good luck you you.

lsheets22
09-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I got a story of my dads friend taking me on the youth hunt. 2 years ago during the youth spring hunt we went up on the ridge to listen before the sun rise and we heard birds right down over the hill from us so we got all set up and ready to rock me a thunder chicken. Well it didnt go as planned it came down the hill and headed to my right and was circling around us so i knew we would get busted. Here he came around and busted us right before he took off flying i had one shot to get a shot off right before he took off so i did well needless to say i missed. So later in the morning my dads friend said lets go down the road and see if we here any. All of the hunting is taking place at shawnee park public hunting. We go down the road and start walking up the hill needless to say without a call here is a gobble 60 yds from us on the ridge i lay down in the middle of the road and so does my buddy just enough where i can see over the hill. My dads buddy can see him but i cant he is gobbling his head off finally i can see him. Here he is in my sights bang drop him like a bad habbit it was one hunt that i will never forget some of these i will never forget i have had some great hunts!

Sorry its so long thats my story! Congrats on the baby coming along!

Jim D
09-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Congrats! Here's another turkey one. My son at the time had just turned 6 and spring gobbler was wide open. We went to Basspro and outfitted him with full camo and his very own turkey call. I went out to my hot spot that night just to make sure that they where there. The next morning we get in the woods an hour before daylight and the birds was still roosted up. We sat the for a while just listening to the Tom, which by the way was a smaller bird so no big deal if we didn't get a shot as long as John got to see how to call them down and get a good look up close, well this small Tom came down about 40 yards and to say the least it wasn't the small one, nice 11 plus inch beard. I whispered to John be real still while papa calls him in, he said "ok". Well I got the bird to 30 yards and as soon as he started to strut John stood up and pointed at the Tom and said "papa you see that" the bird didn't even look, off to the sky he went. I sat there for a min and responded with ya buddy that was pretty cool wasn't it. I will never forget that story and I'm sure I will tell it again. I love having my son out hunting with me. Going to try some bow hunting this year. I'm sure there will be a story or two by the end of the season!!!!!!!!!

backwoodshick28
09-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys ...i definitely enjoy reading them...I'm a fanatic when it comes to reading all the hunting stories in every hunting magazine i can get my claws on. I believe its something that stuck with me when i was little and would go spend a week with my uncle at their cabin with all the other hunting crew during deer gun week and i would stay up all night listening to them guys tell hunting stories as they played cards. As the years went by they told a lot of the same stories over and over but it never seemed to get old to me.