PDA

View Full Version : Gas Drilling Question?

archerymurray
08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Just found out there is deep well going in on the farm I hunt starting in two weeks. Does anyone have any experience hunting near this type of operation? If so what was it's effect on the deer and how far did it seem to push them away? It will be taking place right thru bow season Uggggghh!!!!

mrbb
08-24-2012, 08:35 PM
well it can be good or bad
good beinbg they will change the land some what, if you own the land you can get them to fix roads, or even make a food plot for you

we have them on my hunting clubs lands, and we have a contract that they cannot come on property with notice, and have limited access in hunting season

deer adjust petty quick, but it can for sure make some deer move off

only time will tell

but if it was me, I would try to be there when they have heavy equipment there, and get some set up made , even small food plots , clearings made, they help/do wonders to making better! land more attractive to wildlife
and most companys will work with you, to keep the peace as long as you don't get crazy with what you want done

Greybeard11
08-25-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't have personal experience with drilling, but I used to work for a logging outfit and I know that when we were cutting a tract of timber the deer seemed to move away while we were working and were back when we quit for the day. They also would start traveling new roads we made almost as soon as we made them. Deer are curious and want to know what all the fuss is about. My cousin once killed a nice buck right in our wood yard one morning before we started working. We had seen tracks on the road and seen him in the yard when we showed up for work one morning. He fashioned a blind behind some fallen trees and arrowed him the first time he sat in it! I think you will see the same kind of thing with your situation.

taylor6400
08-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Are they setting the drilling pad up in an open field with limited disruption in the woods? Or are they going in and clearing the woods for a pad? Some of these drill sites can be huge...30 acres in some cases as they usually drill 6 holes from a pad. If they are going in and clear cutting 30 acres to start drilling during bow season i would want to be a long way from that. I would find a new place to hunt.

Now, if they are on the farm in an open field with limited disruption to the woods, i wouldnt worry too much about it.

By the way, the next thing you need to worry about is a pipeline going through there. But that can be an awesome food plot.