PDA

View Full Version : Mock Scrapes

teej89
08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
So this fall I think I'm going to get myself into making some mock scrapes and using a scent dripper. Has anyone done this with good success? I was also going to put up a trail cam and see how things are panning out. I'd like to know a little more about it though, so i'm going to ramble off questions.

(1) Where should I place these? Around other scrapes, Follow a rub line, Bedding/feeding areas?

(2) How many should I put up? is one good enough

(3) When should I start putting these up?

(4) What is your favorite brand of scent? (weird question)

(5) What is a good dripper? (brand)

(6) Should I also rub trees around the dripper?

(7) Should I use non estrous scent in sept and keep repairing the scrape and switch to estrous as the rut comes?

(8) Buck and Doe urine?

Sorry I'm new to mock scrapes you don't have to answer them all, I'm just looking for some information.

Thanks guys!

deerguy10
08-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I have Tried to create mock scrapes over the years with little success... I have also read many articles that suggest Bucks rarely frequent scrape sites during shooting hours... So I haven't even attempted mock scrapes for a few years now...

If I am going to use scent I use the Buck Bomb... that's it for me...

teej89
08-25-2012, 12:04 PM
gotcha, i've seen bucks checking scrapes in the day time however they were just like 1.5 yr olds. But isn't the point of the dripper to bring the bucks in during the day since it only drips during the day?

radicalxl
08-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Depends on what you consider a success. If it is to get some trail cam pics of him, (mostly at night) then yes. If he keeps coming back and there is no fight to be had, or a doe to be bred, then he will just stop returning. Have tried off and on using mock ups since the 1970's, and they never worked for me, or alot of other guys I've talked to over the years. Just a waste of time in my opinion. But it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. You may gain some valuable knowledge that will serve you down the road.