PDA

View Full Version : Activity

Maxxis31
08-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Coming from Vermont in Oct, around the 23rd through the 31st, was wondering what the deer activity was like and what stage the deer movement would be, im guessing it should be close to the chase phase, can anyone help with the activity at this time. Thanks.

BIGHUNTOH
08-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Deer are eating at night bedding all day. You wont see any chasing for another month. Foods on there mind this early.

Maxxis31
08-23-2012, 12:42 PM
BIGHUNTOH, i wont be there until the end of October, so i would think that some scent checking and a little pecking order activity should be taking place by this time, would i be correct with my assumption.

hortontoter
08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I usually see a good bit of buck activity around Halloween here in eastern Ohio. I think you will have some bucks seeking does in your time frame. A little early IMO for peak activity, but should be a pretty good time frame to be in the woods. Early squirrel hunters will be gone and youth gun season will still be a few weeks away. What part of the state are you headed to?

Maxxis31
08-24-2012, 08:39 AM
hortontoter, we will be heading to coshocton county, we will be hunting the woodbury area.

hortontoter
08-24-2012, 02:50 PM
A top county in Ohio. I've never hunted at Woodbury so can't help you there. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Bushman
08-30-2012, 12:03 PM
That week can be good or not so good depending on the weather. 70's + and sunny dont expect to see much action. Cooler, cloudy watch out!

Big_Holla
08-30-2012, 12:17 PM
^^ Bushman is right. As far as the rut goes I would say that would be early chase phase with the most chasing occurring the first week of November. JMHO

mrbb
08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I personally say any time in the woods is good, and pending on when crops get cut this yr and temps/weather
there the big factors
bucks are there 24/7/365, so its not like your hunting when there are no bucks there
its a matter of getting right temps weather and food to get them up and moving
little early for the main rut but they will be looking at least and some will be breeding for sure
I highly recommend all day sits, all the more so when your driving so far, may as well up your odds
as you cannot kill one sitting in a cabin hotel or where ever, have to be hunting to make it happen
I drive 8 hrs to hunt Ohio, and over the past 12+ yrs the biggest bucks I seen were always between 11 am and 3 pm, and why I sit all day there!
but I hunt normally nov 12 to about the 22 th, its always been a good 10 days for me there, always better if colder though,
warm and rainy sucks!!

Maxxis31
08-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Hey Guys thanks for all your info, great help, mrbb i will sure do all day sits being from VT we have to pull all day sits just to see a few does, nothing for us to do this, Thanks Again.