PDA

View Full Version : Corn fields

gonehunting 45
08-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Sunday I was headed to Rush creek lake to do some bass fishing. Just outside of Lancaster I noticed a corn field being cut. I'm no farmer but isn't this a little early? The stalks looked really green still. Started paying closer attention to the corn fields and most were only 4 to 5 feet tall and could only see 2 to 3 ears of corn per stock. I know the lack of rain this year had to hurt. You guys think this could be an early harvest season for corn?

mrbb
08-22-2012, 12:18 AM
well these days there are so many varieties of corn, and then add in the weather this yr, never know
many farmer got to plant a few weeks early, some stager there crops/seeds to not have it all need to be ready at the same time, and seeing what yields they can get with what seed brands too

here in my next of the woods things are about two weeks early with mostly when we got to plant stuff this yr with the early warm up, But then we had a cool off time peroid that slowed some stuff down, making it about normal

I think out west more is where the real troubles are going to be this yr!
just wait till the real harvest comes in and watch the prices of stuff go UP UP UP!!

ghunter
08-22-2012, 01:39 AM
He was probably cutting silage.

taylor6400
08-22-2012, 07:29 AM
He was probably cutting silage.

This. He was chopping silage, not picking corn. They just started chopping around me too. They chop silage at a certain moisture percentage for wet silage. Mainly dairy operations use it. It may be a week or 2 early, but last year most silage fields were cut in late Aug too, so we arent too early.

Im a goose hunter and with early season Sept 1 every year i pay close attention to chopping timing! The later it starts the easier it is to find birds to hunt!

Stumpy
08-22-2012, 12:21 PM
With the dry times out here some farmers are cutting their losses and taking theirs off as silage. Here in Dayton and the surrounding area the feilds are tough. Smallish corn and some bean fields are barely 12" tall. I have seen some early bean fields already ripen and losing thier leaves.

MQ1
08-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Around here in Ashland county the corn isnt to bad for the most part (it could be better) but the beans are starting to turn (1st crop) and i just asked my neighbor if the corn was coming off early thi year and he said yes it will be ready sooner, just when he didnt say but I would say the week season comes in you will see some shelling around here , which in some ways is ok and others ways , not so good.

taylor6400
08-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Around here in Ashland county the corn isnt to bad for the most part (it could be better) but the beans are starting to turn (1st crop) and i just asked my neighbor if the corn was coming off early thi year and he said yes it will be ready sooner, just when he didnt say but I would say the week season comes in you will see some shelling around here , which in some ways is ok and others ways , not so good.

Yeah im in holmes and our corn isnt too bad either. Good height but i have noticed small ears in alot of it. Beans i have noticed vary quite a bit. Some look good some are short, but they are starting to turn. We have a plane that has been air-seeding rye this week and they typically do that just before the leaves dry out.

Big_Holla
08-22-2012, 11:36 PM
With the dry times out here some farmers are cutting their losses and taking theirs off as silage. Here in Dayton and the surrounding area the feilds are tough. Smallish corn and some bean fields are barely 12" tall. I have seen some early bean fields already ripen and losing thier leaves.

Stumpy hit it. Take a look around on the internet and you will see this is being done all over the country due to the drought. Some places that had good rain will likely have decent yields and those farmers will likely do well as the corn and bean prices are going up fast.