PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite bullet weight for coyotes?

Bowhunter57
08-19-2012, 08:53 PM
I've had good kills and good accuracy with 55gr. Hornady V-Max bullets. I've reloaded them in .22-250 and plan to do the same with my RRA.

I've shot 45gr. JHP bullets and they're "ok" for g-hogs, but not so much for coyotes. Even so, the heavier 55gr. bullet weight hits them much harder and kills them faster.

What's your favorite bullet weight, for coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

mrbb
08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
well my most accurate .22-250 load is a hornady B tip 55 grain head, and has killed a ton of critters out there and up close
but do only take head shots up close due to worries about it holding together due to speeds under 50 yrads

I have also killed a bunch of deer with same cal and load out to about 125 yrds on body shots, and out to 450 yrds on head shots
its a 1/2 inch group gun /load at 250 yrds
in right situations head shots to that range are almost sure things, but don't recommend this cal or load for deer, just yotes and smaller critters

smoked ground hogs out to 650 yrds with it too, messes them up even out there!

ghunter
08-21-2012, 01:23 AM
All depends on what you want to do with that yote. If you just want to kill them I'd say anything 55 and up is good. If your going to use the hide stay under 55. I used to use a .204 with a 40gr vmax and it did wonders.

I'm currently looking into the AR-15 side for a new gun and I think I'm going with the DPMS .223 with a 24" SS fluted barrel. It has a 1-9 twist so I'll have to keep it under 55gr but around here I can't get much past 300 yards.