PDA

View Full Version : Stands

Mightymet
08-15-2012, 07:50 AM
We will have five stands once we are finished setting. I was just wondering what you guys do to describe them. Names, numbers, letters, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irishhacker
08-15-2012, 09:36 AM
We will have five stands once we are finished setting. I was just wondering what you guys do to describe them. Names, numbers, letters, ect.

Most of ours are named by the area, type of stand, type of tree.. etc..

The cedar stand..
The big woods creek stand..
The combine cut stand.. (a cut in the woods for a combine to pass through so that it can enter another field)
The buddy stand..
The corner stand..

mrbb
08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
I have 21 stands up, and I honestly just call them by locations when telling others that hunt my place, some stands are unique, I have doors on a couple, and some are two person so that helps, but mostly just go by location
once gave them all numbers on a topo map, but too many folks I found cannot follow/read a map , so gave up on that,LOL
plus I move some every yr, so , got tired of making new topo's and or updating when its 99% of the time just me huinting the place!

RackCityOutdoors
08-17-2012, 03:15 AM
label all of my stand locations with names on google earth ...then each stand has a color that goes to a wind guide table ... ever morning this year i will test the wind then hunt the stands that the wind is best for ...but some of the names of my stands are the "Dog Stand" , The Highway" , "Tree Of Life " and the Best spot ....."Buck Mountain" ...all these stands all are named because of experiences or terrain description. dog stand was because we shot a damn wiener dog that was loose running around for 2 months coming to where ever we hunted so finally ...he got whacked... the highway is a new stand that is over a woodland forage hidey hole ...the plot is only about 20 yards by 40 yards but there is a fence around it with only 2 ways the deer can come through ...the tree of life is another plot around the same size with a big Orange Osage tree in the middle ... and buck mountain is at the top of the property its a 900 yard pluswalk..elevating from 600 feet going to 800 feet of elevation ..its a helleva walk...and every time we hunted it we could of killed bucks and was 5 steps away from having a double buck kill in the same day in the same tree .....verry sensitive spot and wont enter this year till oct 25....check out google earth it can help alot with mapping tree stand locations, paths too and from , were food sources are , deer sighitngs , buck sign .... do all your scouting from home so when you go to the woods you already have a general idea of the areas ( Funnels, fence rows , benches ,saddles ect )...if you do download go to settings and turn terrain exaggeration all the way to 3 and find them big buck paths in them little nooks n crannies ..... goood hunting fellas

nomad_archer
08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
. dog stand was because we shot a damn wiener dog that was loose running around for 2 months coming to where ever we hunted so finally ...he got whacked...

I sure hope that dog didnt have tags. There are much better ways of handling that type of situation. Especially if it didnt pose a threat to you and wasnt running/attacking game. Totally not cool especially if its someones family pet. Dog was probably hungry and lookin for some help and maybe a some friendly pats on the head and a scratch behind the ears.

Big_Holla
08-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Def. not something to admit on a public forum RCO!

Anyways, back to the thread topic.....
Most of our stands we name by what's around them or perhaps old names for the are.
- Corner Stand - one of our most productive stands so we all know where that one is.
- Locust Stand - Big stand of locust trees that form great bedding cover.
- Buckeye Stand - That location was named that years ago and now w/ a treestand there it's fitting.
- The Gate - A break in the fence where the deer love to pass through.
- The Sanctuary Stand - The only one closest to the sanctuary on the property
- The Old Saw - New stand on a point where deer pass often. The location was named that years ago as an old log landing where family had the saw set-up. Parts of the old saw are still there.

Mightymet
08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Why in the blue hell would you shoot a dog. I would maybe understand if it was sickly or attacked you but to shoot it just because it was running around in the woods is unacceptable! In the two months you say he was running around you could not have tried to find a better way to deal with it? Its that type of unethical behavior that gives the rest of us a bad name.

mrbb
08-17-2012, 06:53 PM
well I agree shooting a dog should be a last resort, and hell, such a small dog, I would think could have easily been caught and taken to a shelter and problem solved, who knows might have even been a reward

I know if my dog ever got lost I would have paid plenty to get it back
and GOD help the person if I ever found who had shot him, Right to jail I'd be heading!
I understand dogs can be a problem, but there are steps that can be taken without what you did
MY 2 cents
and sorry for getting off topic!

RackCityOutdoors
08-19-2012, 03:53 PM
No TAGS...ITS A WILD DOG SEEN IT FOR THE WHOLE SEASON ... 7000 ACRES OF PUBLIC AND IT KEEPS COMING TO MY 99 ACRES ..I HAVE MULTIPLE CAM PICTURES OF HIM AND THE NEIGHBORS DON'T KNOW WHO`S DOG IT WAS .. THE SAME PEOPLE WHO HAVE LIVED THERE FOR MANY YEARS ......WHEN U TRAVEL 130+ MILES AND 80+ DOLLARS IN GAS .. NOT TO MENTION THE TOTAL COST OF EACH WEEK BEING DOWN THERE ...i actually hit the dog with a windicator bottle two days before ...he had multiple chances ...it sucked but not in my honey holes ....any dog without tags is wild dog ....AND WILD DOGS GET SHOT ...SORRY IF YOU GUYS DON'T AGREE....!!! THANKS FOR THE BASHING ....

teej89
08-20-2012, 02:24 PM
this is actually a funny post b/c you just gotta be creative with it for instance

8pt hollow: my first buck taken was in this hollow
bear tree stand: had a black bear climb my tree
sportsmans ridge: its at a sportsmans club and on a ridge
old man ridge: had a run in with an old man on this ridge, I was apparently in his tree when he wanted to get in it at 9:30am
pine ridge:

I think you get it by now haha but honestly i never thought of naming stands its just the way my dad and I started talking about them and they became to have names

teej89
08-20-2012, 02:27 PM
yeah and it doesn't matter whether the dog had tags or not

it's unethical, i've had wild house cats (i know, oxymoron but i wanted to make sure they weren't confused with bobcats etc..) walk past my stand and I didn't shoot them. Yeah if I ever knew my dog got shot it would not be a good day for whoever had done it.

My dads best bird dog he had found in the woods, saw it 3 days in a row but it was always too afraid of him, the third day he brought food and the dog came up to him. We reported the pooch to the police and everything else and no one ever claimed her.

mneal
08-20-2012, 03:29 PM
I have "the "Gas Line Stand", The "Apple Tree Stand" and "Doe Central" (because it always produces does for new/young bowhunters to take... and no bucks!)

Whitetail Freak
08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
not cool on shooting the dog better way to deal with that kinda problem not kool

ghunter
08-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Not saying it was a good thing but where I grew up we had 4 stray dogs running around. We called the dog warden and he said if you see them again shoot them. Of course we didn't bother with them except one time I shot one due to it chasing our cows around the pasture. but the other 3 never did any harm.

nomad_archer
08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
ghunter - seems like you did what you needed to so as to prevent injury to your live stock. The other guys seems proud of himself or he is getting his rocks off and feels justified because he spends a little bit off cash to hunt his honey hole. Lots of us spend more than that and drive further to hunt public land. I drive 250+ miles to go to my camp and hunt public land. Figure food and gas for that one. Still wouldnt make me kill a stray dog.

Anyways RCO be smart guys. We know most of you posts are pimping your videos and products that you are "prostaff" for like invite. Stupid posts about how awesome it is that you have a stand named after you guys shooting a dog is not smart. That kind of stuff could make bite you in the butt some day if that was to make it back to invite or some other company because I know I wouldnt like someone that represents my company bragging in a public forum about doing something like that. Just think about it and use your head in the future is you what this taping of you hunts to go anywhere. You need build respect with viewers.

RackCityOutdoors
08-24-2012, 01:29 AM
I dont think i was bragging or was saying how awesome it was ..i was explaining the name for the stand and i didnt want to kill em but after handfull of sightings and mutiple trail camera pics .. i mean What would you do ....you have waited all year to hunt your prime spots...its november ..good trail cam pics ..you go hunt these spots ...and a wild (domesticated dog). ...Yea it wouuld of ben nice to catch the dog( "go go gadget dog net"...because everone has a dog net in their pack).... and take it to the shelter (who then give him 48 hours or the gas chamber) yes i agree...but worst case scenario happened ...it sucked ...and was long drawn out process (2months) ..but had to be done .... its not like i shot a puppy with a big blue ribbon that was sleeping under a bush...this dog was a habitual nuisance ....and got taken out ...btw im not invite pro staff...but that stuff works great!!!

Genesis 9:3
08-25-2012, 10:01 PM
I call my stand "my climbing stand." Yea, I'm just getting started... hopefully in a few years I'll be able to add a few more to the list.

As far as the dog issue goes, I see both sides of the issue. If somebody had whacked my dog, I'd be a dangerous person to be around for quite a while! But I've also sat in the stand and watched angrily as the neighbors (3) dogs waltzed past... at least I think they belonged to the neighbors... I also forgot to pack the go-go-gadget dog net. I didn't see any deer that day... and sure was tempted to do the same... cept I didn't want to screw up an arrow and it was only once that I saw them.

Sounds to me like RCO tried to take the appropriate channels to deal with it... and no, I don't think he wasn't bragging (read the post again if you think he was). If nobody around claimed it as their own, seems pretty wild to me! Now feeding it and taking it in might be a great idea... and taking it to the shelter will possibly make it's life better and give you the warm fuzzies - and be a huge inconvenience for yourself in the process. (Who wants their hunting gear/truck smelling like wild dog, anyone? Yea, everyone here seems to take great effort to be aware of what's going down-wind.)

Anyway, I don't know what I would have done... depends if I was out there because times were hard and my family needed the food I suppose...

*EDIT* - I wish everyone who feels the need to tell RCO he is a scumbag would actually read the whole thread... or at least his posts...

ohiobuckhunter
08-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Rco your are a a screwed up individual. I tell you this if you shot my dog you would have some problems getting back out of the woods and I'm sure there are other people that feel the same about their family pet. I really hope you don't consider yourself a sportsman, in my eye you are pathetic

ohiobuckhunter
08-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Just to add to my last post scum bags like you give our sport a bad name and make it more difficult for real sportsman like me and many others on this site to get permissision from land owners to hunt.

gonehunting 45
08-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Even though I hunt public and use a climber mine are by the numbers
Location 1,2,3. etc...