PDA

View Full Version : The Plan....need help filling the gaps!

Doc148
08-14-2012, 10:33 AM
So I should be home a few days before the season starts. The wife is going to go set in our Ground blind last week of Aug first week of Sept on private land. We know where 4 game trails intersect on the property and has been productive for her uncle in the past as I have not been able to scout the area. The gear I am planning on wearing is with me now in afghanastan and I will only have a few days to try and wash with some sent away and bag(or should i go ahead and by some gear to bag earlier). She is going to set up some type of attractant etheir (salt lick or acorn). I am worried that a mineral lick will be ineffective setting it in this late. Would a acorn based attractant be better for this time of year? Finally I am going to use some sort of scent drag moving to the blind. probaly just some doe urine or would buck be better in the early season. Alot of Holes I know let me know what yeah think!!

nomad_archer
08-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Here is what I would do in your situation
1. Set up the ground blind as you will give it at least 2 weeks before you try to hunt the stand to let the deer get used to it. I set a blind in the morning and hunted it in the evening and the deer where very jumpy around it. Two weeks later they didnt even know it was there.

2. When you get home wash your clothes it will be fine.

3. I wouldnt bother with setting up an attractant or salt lick because you are using an intersection of 4 game trails. They will use them the only thing you have to worry about is being there when the deer get there. At this point the lowest impact set up is key you dont want to mess up the area with something new.

4. Scent drags. Im not the one to really talk about using them because I have tried them in the past with limited success and just dont bother using them because if Im in the right spot I wont need to mess with that stuff. Early in the season I wouldnt worry about putting scent out. However when the rut starts getting going late oct into november if you wanted some doe estrus couldnt hurt.

Doc148
08-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the reply I had that exact attitude in the begining but some of my buddies here are helping to create a Hunting monster with all the things they have tried out. I know her brother got one shot during gun season and one in bow season last year on this spot.Just missed the shot during gun and he was using a family passed down recurve for bow and the sting broke on him. Me and him will probaly hunt the later season together. the plan there is he finds em I shot em lol!!

mrbb
08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
well I would for sure say new camo would be best, I am a firm believer in keeping hunting cloths for JUST hunting, they tend to pick stuff up

that being said if your only planning to hunt out of a ground blind, camo isn't really needed if you ask ,e
so any cloths washed well in scent free should be fine, but still tend to like to start off in new cloths and keep them scent free as can be for just hubnting, and that inclused everything from shoes socks to you name it

and as for attractant
nothing works like corn does to get deeer to come by if you ask me
some of these pressed blocks that have corn and other sweet stuff in them do seem to work OK, and last pretty long, but corn is like candy to a kid to deer
start putting some out a few weeks before a hunt and deer always come to it,
BUT will they come in shooting light?? thats where it gets tricky !

good luck, and well thanks for your service!

nomad_archer
08-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the reply I had that exact attitude in the begining but some of my buddies here are helping to create a Hunting monster with all the things they have tried out.

I understand wanting to try things out. However you have to watch out because lots of the stuff that you see on tv is gimmicky crap. I bought into all of it at one point or another. I tend to go with the simple approach now. Keep yourself as scent free as possible within reason and keep your trips into the woods as low impact as possible. I spend alot of time hunting and do fairly well. If you want to go with corn then by all means go for it. Hunting over bait is illegal here in PA so I just like to hunt a good funnel. But when I lived in ohio I tried using corn and it helped a little but not really enough for me to continue humping it into my hunting spots. Granted I hunted public land. Biggest thing though is to stay semi scent free, hunt the wind, keep it simple and have fun. There is nothing that you can buy that will make a lousy spot into a great spot. You just need to find the right spot and hunt it when the time is right.

And as mrbb said for hunting just from a ground blind any type of clothes will work. I like using a set of all black clothes in the blind and to keep my hands and face covered with gloves and a face mask. Black will blend in with the interior of the blind and you will disappear.

mrbb
08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
also, I know a lot of guts that use military chemical suits to stay scent free too
there hot and not so quiet, but can work, and who knows how they can be had LOL

OHBooner
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Why is she going to sit in it? I'd get it set up and brushed in asap then let it be. I wouldn't bother with mineral licks or any attractants. Just start dumping 100lbs of corn a week until your back. It will be like taking candy from a baby, unless you listen to your buddies about scent drags!

Doc148
08-24-2012, 09:02 AM
also, I know a lot of guts that use military chemical suits to stay scent free too
there hot and not so quiet, but can work, and who knows how they can be had LOL

I thought of that allready its they use charcaol to protect from chemical enviroments same concept used by most scent lock garments. I use to have an old OD training suit but I Believe I turned it back in to old incle sam a few years ago.

Doc148
08-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Why is she going to sit in it? I'd get it set up and brushed in asap then let it be. I wouldn't bother with mineral licks or any attractants. Just start dumping 100lbs of corn a week until your back. It will be like taking candy from a baby, unless you listen to your buddies about scent drags!

The property is about an hour and half from C-bus where we Live. She will be going down with her family for labor day. She will have her uncle and brother there to show her where to set up and brush in. I think this year we are just gonna see what comes are way. I will be going during gun and late bow also. So I have some time to fill that tag!!

Doc148
09-09-2012, 04:31 AM
8 point spotted by my brother inlaw about 75 yards from my blind setup. But uncle Sam just decided to push me back a few days. Hope I can still get an
early season bow hunt in. I heard for oct there is a lull in activity mid oct?