PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new site set up. Wanting some wisdom

So.OHsalesman
08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
It's almost here! On that note, I'm setting up some new stands. I'm looking for some words of wisdom from you vets about how ya'll prime your spot (I.e. food, type, etc). ny advice is greatly appreciated!

blackbeard
08-08-2012, 12:51 AM
I hunt only one stand that is at a feeding site. For that site I keep mineral out year around, feed a little corn 1-2 times per month March through July, start feeding corn weekly in August, start feeding apples with corn in late August/early September. My other 10 fixed stands are either near natural browse, acorns, in funnels, or between bedding and feeding areas and not at feeding sites so they are different. As far as priming those areas I like to get the stands up a month or so before I'll be hunting them (late August for early season stands and late September for rut stands), I cut paths at least the last 50 yards to each stand (getting rid of anything that will touch me above my rubber boots), and I cut shooting lanes to all three sides of the stand. Good luck.

So.OHsalesman
08-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks Blackbeard. I hunt halfway between Oak Hill and Jackson that my Family owns (Cherrington's if you know any, right around the airport and Camba Rd.) So your info is going to be very accurate for me I think. I see so many products out there and I'm trying to narrow down what is really going to bring them in. Thanks for all the info, good to see a Jackson County guy on here!

mrbb
08-08-2012, 10:46 AM
well I don't hunt over bait, illegal here in PA
BUT when I hunt in OHIO, I always take corn with me, I still don't really hunt over it but I try my best to place it in spots that make them walk past my set up to get to it, in funnels or heavy brush to help steer them past me

it has worked very well for me, and deer typically find the corn in a day or two

if
I lived where you can bait, I still don't think I would hunt over it,
as doe and young deer are almost always first to show up, and having eyes all about you for long periods of time, just makes niot getting busted very hard
like just getiing out of the stand without teaching them your there gets tricky

But to do so, I honestly would be using a on time feeder, that hold as much corn as possible
and I would start feeding several weeks before season to get most deer to knopw its there
I would be feeding corn and adding some of that sweet mix stuff you can top corn with in the feeder
and I would be staying out of the area as much as possible before the first sit/hunt! I would have the timer to be dropping corn about 1.5 hrs after sun rise, and then again at about 10 am, and then about 2 hrs before sun set!, 3 times a day
I would also add a mineral block near it all, and maybe one of them pressed blocks of corn minerals, most will last about a month
giving them a lot to pick at

but again, I perfer to set up with the food beyond me, making them just walk past me, not feeding about me

if you can add a water hole to the mix/set up all the better I think this yr! too!

blackbeard
08-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks Blackbeard. I hunt halfway between Oak Hill and Jackson that my Family owns (Cherrington's if you know any, right around the airport and Camba Rd.) So your info is going to be very accurate for me I think. I see so many products out there and I'm trying to narrow down what is really going to bring them in. Thanks for all the info, good to see a Jackson County guy on here!

Yes I know your family, and you probably know mine (Strickland). Good to see a local on here as well. Good luck.

So.OHsalesman
08-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Definitely know some Strickland's. My cousin Micca was married to Todd for some time.