PDA

View Full Version : Barnett Ranger?

heelbilly
08-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey, I'm looking to trade for a crossbow so I can introduce my son to deer hunting. I found one on craigslist, it's a Barnett Ranger recurve style. I'm a noob when it comes to crossbows and wanted to get opinions of the people who use them on a more frequent basis. It can't be a high end, the guy is only asking $45 or trade for it. I found specs that it's 150# pull, so I figure it's got enough to kill out to 20-30yds. I was gonna look at it and make sure the limbs look okay, shoot it, then see if he'll make the trade. Any other tips?

SW_Ohio_Deer
08-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Make sure you check the base of the bows where they attach to the stock.
I have seen a couple of older recurves that begin to splinter at this point (glass fiber separation)

Check the release and the safety.

I believe the barnett ranger was a cable and string setup?
Make sure the cable is in good shape. You cannot find new/replacement cables very easily for alot of the older crossbows.

Good luck!

mrbb
08-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I would strongly suggest you take the bow to a GOOD bow shop and have them inspect it
45 bucks sounds CHEAP to me, meaning it could be a very low end bow, and or in bad shape
a few dry fires will do a hell of a lot of damage to abow that the naked eye cannot see

I kow money is a issue for most folks, but to me, for starting a kid off with a bow with questionable history sounds like a possible problem
be different if you knew the guy and history on the bow

but to me, new strings and cables would be a MUST do deal
and then when you add in teh cost of them, the bow and well, bew bolts ,
what your spending you could get a new bottom end X bow, and know its safe

to me, I just wouldn't risk a injury on a new kid
seem to me for kids to stick to the sport anymore the whole deal had to be enjoyable

not knocking a deal if its one
just something to think about
once you add up all the things , a new one sounds like a better investment in my eye's

Cablea's bargin cave always has tons of either out dated left over model x bows or trade in very cheap

seen brand new whole packages bolts head bow quiver for like 200 bucks, and thats brand new everything!
used one's for less

just a thought!