PDA

View Full Version : Pallet to drag food plots works great!

Pep4
07-30-2012, 11:19 PM
I was going to lightly disc a couple of my small woods hunting plots tonight to prepare for seeding but had a problem with my tractor...i decided to use my old method of using a wooden pallet with a few rocks on it and pull behind my 4 wheeler...wow i forgot how good of a job that does! it actually prepares the seed bed a lot better than discing or dragging with a farm type drag as it leaves a nice firm seed bed as instructed...it smoothed the plots out very nicely and made them look great!...and then for plots that require a slight covering of the seeds i just remove the rocks and just use the pallet to lightly drag the seed in...i can't wait to see the results!

mrbb
07-31-2012, 11:10 AM
well Glad that works for you, but up my way so amny rocks and hard ass ground, , a pallet, even if wrapped in chain link fence, and lots of weight won't do anything

the advantage of a disc or other like tool is it loosens the soils making it easier for roots on SMALL seeds, they ask you in my opinion to firm up the top, so when it rains and such seeds don't get planted too deep more or less

I will say a pallet will clean an area of debris pretty well till it piles up

again, Glad that works for you, not bashing!

Pep4
07-31-2012, 12:49 PM
my plots are plowed with a 2 bottom plow and then disced 2 or 3 times throughout the year which makes for no hard ground and no debris...i don't have a cultipacker so the best way to get a firm seed bed is by using a drag not a disc which loosens the seed bed especially with small seeds like turnips which shouldn't be dragged in or covered at all...works great for me and hope it helps others on this site.

mrbb
07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
cool

yrs back I took a sheet of1/4 steel,(4x6 ft) and drilledand then welded 3/4 Di 5 inch long lag bolts, so I could pull it with an atv and just scratch the surface for same type set up

but too many darn rocks bent and broke off the bolts!

can do a ton with an ATV if people try,

my fav ATV tool is a 2 ft wide 3 row(, 2 in first row, and then 3 in second and 2 in last row, Harrow)

I foun a big old one that I simplt took a section off, got the whole thing for 50 bucks, has been working for me for about 12 yrs now!
only digs in about 4 inches, and pulls easy with the ATV